Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When will 997.1 be a classic?

Phil 997 said:
There will always be two schools of thought on this subject , I didn't buy my 997.2 to make any money, which is just as well as I have spent 25k on it in repairs in the past year :grin: I brought it to enjoy driving it in this the one life we have . :grin: :grin: I intend to drive it ,enjoy it and thats my only consideration.
I am always surprised at guys that only do a few hundred miles a year in theirs incase they devalue it , not sure what the point of owning it is. but everyone to their own :thumb: :thumb:

I think I almost hope they don't became classics with high value as then I would start to be scared to drive it and I risk becoming one of those people that I don't understand, with a high value car in the garage that they dont use and dont enjoy driving. what do they actually do do they get their kicks from standing staring at it and thinking about what its worth , seems very odd they are not even enjoying the money its worth . maybe its a mind set I just dont understand :grin: :grin:

I'm with you on this one, although i thankfully haven't spent so much on mine!

I'd love an RS 4.0, but i was thinking, say i'd bought it new, would i be too scared to actually drive it now if i had one, what if it's value increased by another £100K or more, would i sell it? If i did then what would i replace it with? It's pretty much the dream car for me but what's the point if you don't enjoy what it's built for and just stare at numbers on a piece of paper of what you could have for it.

As for them becoming classics, i think, yes and no really. The automotive industry is at a real peak with the all the new electric technology about to become a lot more readily available etc etc, the end of petrol cars will have an affect to some extent in the future, but more in terms of nostalgia than value. The classics that are classics in terms of value now, will always be the higher valued in my eyes, because they're the first of their generation, and not so mass produced. Same with older Fords, the first hot hatches etc. Same with Ferraris etc, look what a LaFerrari fetches compared to a 250 GTO, same thing, just on a different scale.

996/997 Carreras will be a classic in terms of nostalgia as it was at a balance of still being N/A/an analogue driving experience without too many driver assist electronics and tech. They're better handling and faster than 964's/993's but they'll never be worth as much. Drive them, maintain them and enjoy them i say, absolutely love mine and can't see that i'll ever sell it.

When you factor in VED and other maintenance costs, even if the value of a car goes up significantly over the course of several years, it's unlikely to generate an IRR above a couple of percent anyway. I just view car ownership as an exercise in minimising depreciation and on that front most 997s will be better than a lot of alternatives.

Classic = expensive/overpriced.

I'd far sooner they remained appreciated only by those who know so we can all enjoy them!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back