Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel Bolts vs Studs ''N'' Nuts

Moko

Nurburgring
By some complete act of stupidity I have managed to lose the locking wheel nut key.

This has prompted me to think about changing the wheel bolts over to studs and nuts hence never putting me in this annoying situation again.

What are the pros and cons on the change I quite like the look of the racing nuts and I do seem to take my wheels off fairly regularly for maintenance tasks so it studs might be a better long term solution and it would certainly make lining everything up more easy.

Stud or nuts surely doesn't really matter, they both look the same once fitted, and both can support locking wheel nuts / bolts.

You can get something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12547695...A0Bq5WOSD-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

So it's a bar to align the wheel onto the hub and disc, so much easier... If you have ceramic discs, it would be an absolute must IMHO!

But changing the to studs would cost more than the align tools, and still leave you with the ability to lose the locking wheel nut ;-)

You could just get 4 more plain bolts, and not bother with the locking wheel nuts, if you do not think that you wheels will be nicked.

Has anyone had wheels stolen on their 997?
I would like to know in all seriousness if this is even an issue in 2022.

Nope, I do not hear of wheels being stolen any more - just not a thing I guess when you can steal the whole car instead right ;)

Saying that, is it because every car has locking wheel nuts, it's dropped off as a thing to do?

Regarding bolts vs studs, I'm still not sure I fully "get" the difference? Other than mounting the wheel, it's all the same right? Having old jap stuff I was used to studs for ages, and changing wheels meant having to buy longer studs, knock the old ones out and pull the new ones in - not the end of the world but longer bolts would have been easier.

Or am I missing something fundamental here?

If you change wheels frequently, or run different sets of wheels with different offsets or spacers, then it's easier to run studs than fool around with different sets of bolts for each set.

But if you only have one set of wheels and you're not removing them for any reason, and just prefer to leave it to the garage, then don't bother.

Just ditch the locking wheel bolt and fit standard ones. The car has a tilt sensor so if anyone jacks the car up whilst it's alarmed, then it'll go off.

Or just stash the locking wheel nut somewhere in the car so you don't lose it!

spinnaker said:
Or just stash the locking wheel nut somewhere in the car so you don't lose it!

or better still, the locking wheel nut key :wack:

You knew what I meant!

I figured that they were locking wheel bolts in our case and that the key was the nut? Not sure that makes sense! 8)

Yeah, I got it wrong too. Bolt not nut. :grin:

How about just welding the key to the bolt? Jobbed Jobbed right :floor:

Alex said:
Just ditch the locking wheel bolt and fit standard ones. The car has a tilt sensor so if anyone jacks the car up whilst it's alarmed, then it'll go off.

i can vouch for that, having jacked the car up over the weekend while it was still locked :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back