Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vanquish or DBS?

996lee

Hockenheim
Just spit balling currently as the mrs isn't on board with this just yet however..

Just finishing a near enough 28 year career in the military and was planning to use my lump sum I get to kick start a little buy to let empire after doing ok with 1 i rent out but as we're all aware the interest rates currently mean its not really viable currently Soooo....

What I'm considering atleast just for a couple of years to scratch an itch is
Purchase either a DBS or a vanquish (2013 onwards model)

While I won't have the money to purchase a minter by any means what I'm hoping is to not lose too much and who knows maybe if I went for the older model DBS maybe that may even go up

I've not actually test driven any Astons at all so has anyone driven any of them and which would you go for given the choice at a similar price point? :dont know:

I did look at things in a similar price point such as a taycan as an example
It would need occasional back seats but something about the 2 I've shortlisted just flicks my switch :grin:

I suppose your choice will be driven by your budget.
A late dbs is serious money like circa 150 to 160k for an up to 3 yo model. but and earlier one circa 2010 can be had for around 60k ish.

Not so keen on the vanquish myself.

I've recently bought a Ferrari California after much procrastination, so far haven't got any regrets, except I'm now getting drawn to the 458 Italia or spider which is late dbs money as these are the last of the NA v8s.

I saw this Aston whilst googling and it looked a bit sepcial for the money
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306228816460

I love the Vanquish, best looking Aston Martin for years and very James Bond.
I have a customer how has one that I love to look at when working there, he says the gearbox is terrible though, single clutch like or maybe the same gearbox as BMW SMG gearboxes, clunky gear changes etc.
I'd drive one first to see if it's for you, person I'd get a Vantage S with the V12 fitted, though the Vanquish looks better.

Plumb said:
I love the Vanquish, best looking Aston Martin for years and very James Bond.
I have a customer how has one that I love to look at when working there, he says the gearbox is terrible though, single clutch like or maybe the same gearbox as BMW SMG gearboxes, clunky gear changes etc.
I'd drive one first to see if it's for you, person I'd get a Vantage S with the V12 fitted, though the Vanquish looks better.

I'll be honest my budget wouldn't stretch to the newer 8 speed and while I've watched lots of reviews saying the 8 speed is an improvement over the 6 speed
I've not seen many reviews where anyone moaned about it during the release of the vanquish with the 6 speed
Although most concluded it didn't beat its competitors in the class
And dbs wise the manuals command a bit of a premium so I imagine I'd be looking at an auto in that too
And while I also like the looks of the v12 vantage I need the back seats occasionally

That's the thing isn't it, there will always be a later, better, faster model but when you're buying used in a budget you at least get to choose between all the ones in your price range of the used models that have come and gone and you have a little bit of hindsight because you get to know the potential foibles, must haves etc.

Not sure what Aston ownership is like re the service, running costs and potential big bills but again you can research this before taking the plunge.

Caveat: I usually see a car that takes my fancy I buy it and do my research retrospectively, usually with a clenched bottom and gritted teeth.

Of those that you posted I prefer this but would like it in silver:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304176369244?atmobcid=soc3

This one is nice looking:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306188658520

aston

A friend of my dads used to run nice cars,he had a 928 S2 and then an S4 and then moved onto sl mercedes but one day he fancied an Aston. It was by far the shortest time he had kept a car and it was gone in 6 months! It was eye watering what some of the bills were and it was not like 928's were cheap cars to run!

I'd give Bamford Rose a call. They are very clued up on all things Aston, and may also know of a customer car for sale that they can recommend. There is a lot of work they can do to improve the auto boxes, depending on how much you are prepared to spend.

Great position to be in. Enjoy the journey. 👍

1marc said:
I'd give Bamford Rose a call. They are very clued up on all things Aston, and may also know of a customer car for sale that they can recommend. There is a lot of work they can do to improve the auto boxes, depending on how much you are prepared to spend.

Great position to be in. Enjoy the journey. 👍

Good idea 💡
I have spent the last few months watching all their YouTube videos 😆

@T8 much appreciated I have read those 😉
And seems like Les has had a positive experience so far but he's also had some bad posche experience to compare it too

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back