Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Unreadable Engine Number

Kingb4

Montreal
Hello,

Have just SORNed the 996 and am planning on doing a few jobs (brake pipe over the gearbox etc).

Whilst I had the car on the lift, I had a quick look at the engine number, as I was intrigued to see which IMS I have (am planning on checking this, when I remove the gearbox).

Am struggling to read the engine number. I have tried to clean off the muck etc. But dont want to be too aggressive, in case I remove the numbers themselves. Has anyone got any tips? I did wonder about a very fine abbrasive.

Cheers
Ben

Attachments

• engine_number_a_120.jpg
    engine_number_a_120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 868
  • engine_number_b_208.jpg
    engine_number_b_208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 868
Piece of paper over it and rub it with a pencil. Try photographing it with and without flash. I ended up reading mine from a photo, it was about as bad as yours.

MC

Brilliant idea - I will have a go at tracing it now......
Thank you!

Looks like M96 03 66214066 or similar to me

MC

Hopfully it will match the number in your logbook you should always check the chassis and engine numbers match the v5 when buying they car.

MisterCorn said:
Looks like M96 03 66214066 or similar to me

MC
Spot on - thats exactly what it is.

Just checked - It matches my V5. I had checked the chassis number when I bought it, but not the engine number.

Thank you - now off to decode it.

I used a fine piece of sandpaper and a light touch on the end of fingers. You'll not get anywhere near numbers and only take off surface rust, comes up very clear.

I never understood the IMS thing. Mines a 2001 996.1 with a confirmed Dual IMS. My own opinion is Single IMS started with the 996.2 only and all 996.1 are Dual. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back