Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo oil scavenge system

Rosselder83

Spa-Francorchamps
After a bit of advice surrounding the oil scavenge system in the turbo.

After finally getting my car fired up (turbo replacement) I noticed the drivers side turbo was leaking oil from what I assumed to be the sump o-ring.

While I was double checking other stuff I had the outlet pipe off and I noticed there was a small pool of oil sitting at the edge of the compressor housings outlet pipe, not a bit deal if the car had been running for months but by this point it had run for about 3 minutes.

I emailed the chap that did my turbos and he was very happy for me to send it back down to him to check over, I'd assumed the large o-ring on the compressor housing had failed but he said it sounds like the scavenge system isn't working and that's forcing the oil out.

So I'm just looking for a way of testing his theory?

The oil pressure when the car was running was nice and high, the passenger side turbo has no leaks. They both have oil in the sump and in the lines.

What is the direction of flow? Is the oil sucked out of the bottom and returned to the tank? What's the upper line for? Is it just an over flow for the tank?

I can attach pictures if that would help anyone?

Thanks in advance

Oil is sucked in from the sumps by the dual scavenge pump on the end of the engine. There are three gears in there which form the two pumps. The oil/air is pumped from the scavenge pumps back to the tank.

The top line is a vent line, so that the scavenge pump isn't trying to create a vacuum in the turbo sump.

MC

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for that.

So if that top hose was blocked in any way that could cause some issues id assume? Introducing a vaccum etc?

Rosselder83 said:
Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for that.

So if that top hose was blocked in any way that could cause some issues id assume? Introducing a vaccum etc?

I imagine it would cause problems as you say, it wouldn't be able to pump the oil out as well as usual because it would be pulling a vacuum.

MC

Hi
If this is of help, i have what sounds to have a similar problem on mine :?:

It's in for service at the moment and the tech advised that it's " bank 2 oil suction pump to pipe adaptor requires replacement"

I have attached a pic of mine in case it is of use :thumb:

It has created a mist or film over that area for a while and then i cleaned it last week to see if it was easier to spot where it is coming from

:thumb:

Attachments

• img_1230_192.png
    img_1230_192.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 920

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back