Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo - 996 manual or 997 tip

Flozzer

Good evening All,

A little bit of advice please.
I'm about to get back into Porsche ownership, previously owned 964, 996 C2 and 996 C4S.
This time I want to go the Turbo route but the dilemma I have is that my budget looks like it will be a 996 manual or 997 tiptronic.
Any thoughts from anyone who owns one or the other or has been fortunate to experience both, would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Both cars are hugely capable..assuming this is going to be a weekend car?

Tip for daily traffic manual for everything else.

You will notice the push in the back MUCH more than your previous cars BUT sadly I'm not sure you can really use all of that available power on our roads nowadays..

I have driven both and have a very nice manual 996tt...

I do know of a very nice long term enthusiast owned, slightly but tastefully tweaked 996tt that wants for nothing in guards Red that a friend of mine is considering selling if your looking ?

If your passion is for manual cars then there's only one answer.

However, you're obviously not averse to considering an auto and in the case of the 996T or the 997T neither would disappoint you.

The torque and general engine characteristics are ideally suited to the automatic box - even the relatively lazy Tiptronic one. Even during spirited driving the number of gears required is minimal so the 'fun' of driving a manual version is somewhat diminished and I can imagine that the moments in which first gear is used would actually become a pain.

In standard form the 997T would probably tick more '+' boxes for most people especially as there's not much in terms of £££s between the two.

With regards to usable performance I drive mine on the same roads that I used to enjoy in my 996C4 and the extra oomph provided by both my subsequent turbos has been totally attainable although none of the cars have ever got anywhere near their full potential. Using full boost in the lower gears is a thrill that doesn't go away.

Happy Hunting :thumbs:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back