Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Torque Wrench - 997.2 GTS

nuts

Trainee
Just about to close a deal on a lovely white 997.2 GTS. Given the centre lock wheels, what do people do about a Torque Wrench for the centre locks? Where's best to buy one?

600nm
I use this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162981133700

and you'll need a long breaker bar and a length of scaffolding pipe to get the centre locks off whilst someone sits in the car with their foot hard on the brake!! That said it's quite straightforward

If you look on Flea bay there are 100-600 nm torque wrenches for sale for about £300.00.

I'm lucky that a mate already has one so I can borrow whenever I need to take the wheels off.

It's a bit of pain doing the fronts but the rears are easy and I can easily get them up to torque using brute strength. If you have trouble breaking the torque then I use a strategically placed trolley jack and break the torque using that.

£4k for a gun is crazy!

The eBay link looks very reasonably priced. An advantage of a wrench specced higher than the 600 required is that it will most likely be longer and thus give you the leverage needed to do it without giving yourself a hernia. A torque multiplier is useful for removing too..and doing up I suppose but personal preference is a torque wrench designed for the actual torque needed.

C/l's were never Porsches greatest invention. Quite susceptible to user error and designed to look alright and get you back to the OPC for every conceivable reason they can think of, new tyres, wheel refurb etc etc.

Having ran a car with these for over 10 years a few points I'd note to others are, do a 5 lug conversion :floor:

And, inspect your factory supplied socket and make sure the coating is intact on the inside. After a few goes this removes itself and just starts to churn your c/l bolts up a bit more and more each time you use it. Also, learn the correct procedure of the the clean an re grease ( get the correct and incredibly messy lithium grease) routine and also the back off and re tighten thing. It can be done solo with an Irwin clamp/spreader between seat and pedal which removes the need for a mate watching you faff about all day. Just remember that new tyres will always be drama and lots of DIY or cost...

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back