Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The watercooled Porsche challenge. My 1980 Porsche 924

Nice update. You're like a kid at Christmas. The bodywork looks excellent, I can't see any bad bodywork on the exterior the arches look good. The interior is pretty shocking though haha. I mean the pattern not condition.

kas750 said:
My wife said its about time I grew up. :oops:
:grin:

I've had various women in my life say things like that. Also 'imagine how much money you'd have if you didn't have those cars'. Thing is if I wasn't into cars I'd be into something else.

So today I took my 9 year old son Joe.

To PDMX for some practice.

Then later on this afternoon back to work!
I have cleaned up the brake drums and discs with a wire wheel in the grinder.

and then a quick coat of satin black.

I rebuilt the front hubs and wire brushed the uprights and then sprayed them with copious amounts of dinitrol wax.I also cleaned and checked the brake pipes and flexible hoses.

I then thoroughly cleaned the rear brakes and lubricated the pivots as required.

I then refitted the drum and retorqued the hub nuts.

So that's the brakes sorted...Tomorrow I am going to get 4 new tyres fitted to the loose wheels..

Nice project from 1980 and a wonderful experience for your son. Apart from the sunroof, the passenger door mirror and cassette holder were all extras back in the day.

This was mine from same year (local press launch photo), still had Tony Dron's 1980 Le Mans pass sticker in the windscreen after returning from a very good finish in the new 924GT. I paid a return visit in it the following year courtesy of Tony, to see Derek Bell and Jackie Ickx win with the 936.

Good luck,
Paul

That's interesting. I always thought that the sunroof,electric windows and twin mirrors were part of the UK spec Lux pack??

That's a fantastic picture BTW. :thumb:

porsche challenge

Fantastic pictures :thumb: keep them coming thick and fast :worship:

Yes sorry, you're quite correct the extra Lux pack, I'd forgotten about that. The cassette armrest store was yet another addition.

That's a fantastic picture BTW.

Here's another from the same shoot, for old timers sake :grin:

Good luck,
Paul

Those rear brakes are proper VW :) . Look just like my old split window truck. Now I can see why the VW boys upgrade to Porsche brakes :thumbs:

So since the last update I have kind of hit "the wall" with my project.
I have discovered quite a few electrical niggles which have been quite time consuming to trace!..I really did feel p1ssed off and questioned buying it!!

The rev counter for some reason has decided to stop and I think that could be a faulty meter.The horn was not working also which I traced to a faulty relay.The brake warning started to illuminate which I traced to a faulty pressure switch in the master cylinder and the radio packed in..All very character building shall we say!!

On a positive note I bought 4 new tyres for the princely sum of £160 fitted.

I have also insured the car with Peter James.This is a 5,000 mile policy with a £100 excess and UK and European breakdown cover. This cost me just £91..Honestly its like another world isn't it??

The windscreen had started to delaminate on the edges and was turning a milky colour in the black area.The budget wont allow a new screen so I did a little "work around".So if easily offended look away now! :hand:

I thoroughly cleaned the outer edge of the screen with cellulose thinner and then masked out the black area carefully following the line of the original black edge.
I then gave it a coat of simoniz tough satin black paint.

I let it dry for a couple of hours and then took of the masking tape and it looks ok.

and in other news I got this today!! :bandit:

So Joe and myself went out for a 20 mile drive. :grin:

I must say I am pretty impressed how it drives and it performs better than I thought it would in the context of a 35 year old car with 125hp.
There is long way to go with it yet but getting the car roadworthy has really spurred me on yet at the same time the "jobs to do" list is getting longer.
But all that said I am really pleased with how things are going.

Thanks for the update Kas ....... I really look forward to seeing this car ....... :)

:worship:

madalaa said:
Thanks for the update Kas ....... I really look forward to seeing this car ....... :)

:worship:

Cheers :thumb: .. I am actually booked on the ferry with my GT3 and will change the details to the 924 when I am confident that I have more than a 50% chance of it getting there and back. :lol:

It does have a hot starting problem which I am trying to get to the bottom of at the moment!

kas750 said:
It does have a hot starting problem which I am trying to get to the bottom of at the moment!

:floor: 28 years on from when I had the same problem with mine.

At least it's not as embarrassing now as it was when they were new.

I cured mine after 4 months of ownership ........ and sold it 2 months later. :sad:

Good luck Ady. I really hope to see the car in Dinslaken. :thumb:

Sounds like a fun trip. A group of local lads did something similar last year for charity and drove to Nordkapp in northern Norway through Finland - over 2500 miles each way in a collection of sub £1000 Porsches. You'll be fine!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back