Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Technical help required - oil leak

nickjonesn4

Sao Paulo
Afternoon all,

My car has suddenly sprung a leak. Its always been a little wet but this has changed quite dramatically in the last week.

The first sign was more oil than usual in my drip tray.

Following the nexr drive (with the engine running correctly etc) I could seethat the oil level guage was almost in the red.

I checked the dip stick and the oil level was right at the bottom of the two markers.

I topped the oil up carefully with the engine running.

Ive checked the drip tray this morning and a good amount of the new oil looks to be on there given that its pretty clear and runny

Anyone else had this? Shes actually booked into have the lower rocker seals and covers replaced but I don't think its that? Too much oil.

Help!

Ive just moved the car to clean up my garage floor and there is oil dripping slowly through hole on rear left of undertray, on the passenger side right at the back. Has obviously been started by the engine running.

Im assuming there are send/return pipes for oil from the tank in the front, could one of these have failed :?:

There are various pipes and tubes .. you need to remove the undertray and get a few pictures for us to identify ..

The collapsable ( if replaced if not then solid ) pipes are a possible along with timing case , tensioner feed etc etc .

This does sound like a major leak though so continued driving is not recommended until the issue is identified .

Google 993 engine oil leaks to give an idea and select images .

deMort said:
There are various pipes and tubes .. you need to remove the undertray and get a few pictures for us to identify ..

The collapsable ( if replaced if not then solid ) pipes are a possible along with timing case , tensioner feed etc etc .

This does sound like a major leak though so continued driving is not recommended until the issue is identified .

Google 993 engine oil leaks to give an idea and select images .

Thanks, not driven it since I notices the problem apart from moving it today. Will take off the undertray tomorrow and post pics

One place to check is the lower rocker covers. Mine have just warpped and now changed by garage. Not an overly big and expensive job. I had noticed excessive drops of oil and quite a bit on the under tray from not using the car for a while. Probably the second time they have been done in 10 years. I'm sure there are other areas to look but just personal experience this is where I would look first.

Oil Filter ? - In 17 years of ownership I have two oil filters leak and the leak came on suddenly, just as you described.

Kat1 said:
Oil Filter ? - In 17 years of ownership I have two oil filters leak and the leak came on suddenly, just as you described.

Brilliant thankyou. Will check shortly

So its leaked about 150ml of the 750ml I put in last Sunday based on what I poured out of the drip tray.

20211121-153747.jpg

Got distracted today putting winter wheels on so will post detailed pics of underneath tomorrow.

In the meantime I took the undertray off and the leak is localised to passenger side

20211121-160613.jpg

20211121-160924.jpg

Hi Nick,

If you send me a PM with your email address I can send you a PDF (too big to upload here) from Pelican Parts about oil leaks. It's detailed and what I used when I was chasing down my oil leaks. It's based on a 964 engine but there really isn't a great deal of difference between the 964 and the 993 when it comes to leak areas.

ATB :)

sday12 said:
Oil tank filter.

Aren't the oil filters on the right hand (driver's side for RHD), side of the car? This looks like it's leaking from the left side of the engine.

That's a big leak. I suspect the culprit will be a rotten drain tube. I wouldn't drive the car until its been resolved just to be on the safe side.

9xxnick said:
sday12 said:
Oil tank filter.

Aren't the oil filters on the right hand (driver's side for RHD), side of the car? This looks like it's leaking from the left side of the engine.

Yep its definitely leaking from the passenger side.

Will get under the car properly tomorrow hopefully time permitting

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back