Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Switching to Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99?

I swapped a few years ago and noticed improvement vs Tesco 99 but on the pump it now says Esso 99 is also E5.

Emigrate to Middle East for lower price IMO I can see good stuff at £2 by Q2. Food flying up too and this will be even more expensive in Middle East maybe double the prices in UK soon. I'm not sure what the govt and their feeble feeble mandarins expected other than whats happening today to occur with furlough, and pointless draconian lockdowns. Whats happened to that poor thing Senior Civil Servant that was bullied by Priti Patel :? Sir Philip Fkinuselss-Rutman or something equally Percy or Cecil like. I'd cancel the f civil service for a start. Cummings was not wrong IMO. Percy and Cecil straight out of Blackadder / Spitting Imag/ Monty Python run the UK today
.unknown_3_201.jpegunknown_4_127.jpegunknown_5_148.jpeg

Last edited:
:grin:

Small print says the Esso 99, even though they have to write upto 5% ethanol, they don't use ethanol. I think they stand alone, and both v-power and momentum have ethanol.

I really don't get how anyone can think petrol price is hurting. I used to post local petrol prices on FB every week so mates knew where the cheapest stuff was. Just searched back through my time line and found one from 9 years ago for normal unleaded. I'm in Lancashire near Blackburn so fuel price as a rule is cheaper than most parts of the UK.

We've never been so lucky with how cheap fuel is vs. cost of living. Probably been less than 1%/year increase in the last 10 years.

19th October 2012 - 9 years ago for standard unleaded:

lSU5GG7.jpg

Good to know will carry on paying Esso through the nose (when they actually have fuel!).

Count our blessings trust me could be f far far worse

.images_1_916.jpeg

Last edited:
Alex,

Its cheaper round the world. I was paying 40p-80p per litre in Dubai and US some of those dates.

If a UK person earns in top tax bracket , smoke lots of fags and drink lots of alcohol in UK. They're effectively paying 80% in stealth taxes today maybe even more.....

Alex- I had this debate a couple of months ago with colleagues- I found data that showed that inflation adjusted, fuel is cheaper than it has been for years. I think folk have gotten used to it being lower though.

135p in 2013 is broadly the equivalent of 163p now, if one believes CPI data is a reflection of purchasing power.

Anyhow, better brace yourselves as oil is going to continue to go up for the time being, $100 a real possibility. Then the green taxes will start...

If you do buy Esso, the PCGB membership is probably worth it to get the free WEX card for Esso and the associated discounts. I'm not sure of the present discount but I was getting 5p off per litre through September.

This is from the Esso website:

What's in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with 'up to 5% ethanol', including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There's currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.[/code]

Esso have stopped using Ethanol from September 2023. A number of people, particularly those with older cars, vintage have developed abit of a campaign. If you want to add please send the attached to Esso customer services:

Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care.

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the change to include up to 5% ethanol in our Esso Synergy Supreme+99.

At Esso, we take the opinions of our customers extremely seriously and we have acknowledged your comments on this decision.

Whilst there is no change in legislation, the general direction of travel in legislative terms in recent years has been to require additional biofuel content, and rather than be out of step with the industry we have made the tough business decision to align the ethanol content across our service station network. 

You may be aware that super-unleaded petrol, labelled as E5 can contain ‘up to 5%’ ethanol, so the labelling on the pumps will not change– it merely brings our fuel in line with the rest of the UK fuels market. 

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and will ensure that this is forwarded on to the relevant team to highlight your point of view on the decision.

Regards...

Sorry, I may be a bit daft here, but what's the problem with 5% ethanol? Less calories than full fat but it's not much and doesn't harm the cars at all?

Esso have stopped using Ethanol from September 2023. A number of people, particularly those with older cars, vintage have developed abit of a campaign. If you want to add please send the attached to Esso customer services:

Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care.

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the change to include up to 5% ethanol in our Esso Synergy Supreme+99.

At Esso, we take the opinions of our customers extremely seriously and we have acknowledged your comments on this decision.

Whilst there is no change in legislation, the general direction of travel in legislative terms in recent years has been to require additional biofuel content, and rather than be out of step with the industry we have made the tough business decision to align the ethanol content across our service station network. 

You may be aware that super-unleaded petrol, labelled as E5 can contain ‘up to 5%’ ethanol, so the labelling on the pumps will not change– it merely brings our fuel in line with the rest of the UK fuels market. 

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and will ensure that this is forwarded on to the relevant team to highlight your point of view on the decision.

Regards...
don't you mean they have stated to use Ethanal from Sept '23?

Yep, I think he meant that have started to use Ethanol.

"What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol?

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules engineered to reduce friction in your engine and help moving parts work more efficiently.**
Synergy Supreme+ 99 contains up to a maximum of 5% ethanol."

From here: https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels
A bit annoying!

Yep, I think he meant that have started to use Ethanol.

"What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol?

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules engineered to reduce friction in your engine and help moving parts work more efficiently.**

Synergy Supreme+ 99 contains up to a maximum of 5% ethanol."

From here: https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels

A bit annoying!

Yeah, just a bit! I've been using it since I got my 997.1 Carrera 2S coupe (Atlas Grey - snap!) so a bit annoying.

Not great news - and I have been conned then for the last six months!

Still Esso is cheaper than the v-power, or can go back to Tesco Momentum - because all three are the same ethanol stuff now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back