Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stripped thread in carrier for caliper bolt - time sert?

Hi - just to conclude this, helicoil did the job excellently - torqued up and ready to go! Will monitor it moving forward but can't foresee any issues at present.

The right angle drill was a waste of time as a brushless 13mm Makita fitted without issue, and less risk of grab comparing it to the beast I initially hired! Wasn't limited on space and was a straight forward job so can recommend that RS Components kit if anyone else needs to do the same.

Many thanks again for your advice,
Will

The standard caliper bolt is actually longer then the hole depth, so it rusts on the end then when you undo it and pull out back through, it takes out the threads.

I used a helicoil with a standard drill and jig. Worked fine.

sim996 said:
The standard caliper bolt is actually longer then the hole depth, so it rusts on the end then when you undo it and pull out back through, it takes out the threads.

Is it possible to clean up/lubricate the extended thread before winding it through?

sim996 said:

Is it possible to clean up/lubricate the extended thread before winding it through?

Adi said:
sim996 said:

Access is limited. Would be better to cut down the bolt so it's flush. But worth checking before you undo it. Most times you don't realise until it's too late, but that's the reason why it strips the threads and is a common issue.

There's a few other places on the suspension too. Some rear arms needed replacing (cant remember which exactly) and chris at centre gravity was aware of the issue and spent ages getting the bolt out so it didn't strip the threads. If it was me, I'd have stripped them right out!

sim996 said:
Adi said:
sim996 said:

Access is limited. Would be better to cut down the bolt so it's flush. But worth checking before you undo it. Most times you don't realise until it's too late, but that's the reason why it strips the threads and is a common issue.

There's a few other places on the suspension too. Some rear arms needed replacing (cant remember which exactly) and chris at centre gravity was aware of the issue and spent ages getting the bolt out so it didn't strip the threads. If it was me, I'd have stripped them right out!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back