Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SOLD - PCM 3.1 navigation/audio unit for 981/991

short-shift

Trainee
I have available an immaculate and fully functioning PCM3.1 unit. It's 100% in terms of functionality and cosmetics - as near perfect as can be imagined.

This is a 2016 unit (only 'retrofitted' to my car for 8000 miles) that includes full GPS navigation with European (and UK) mapping, 40Gb jukebox (built-in hard drive), single CD player, AM, FM and DAB tuner modules, connection for USB socket and full Bluetooth phone functionality. It currently shows a GT3 boot-up screen but this might be irrelevant to you and can, in any event, be changed to suit whichever type of 981/991 vehicle it is to be fitted to. At present, the PCM provides conventional wired audio outputs at RCA/low-level but it can be configured to provide optical outputs if necessary.

If you want a new PCM to replace an existing unit, it is pretty much play and play (with a bit of coding required). If you want to upgrade from base audio (CDR31 or similar) to PCM and nav then I can offer extensive advise and support for installing the unit, including the connections, coding (how to get them and how to get them activated) and so on. I spent ages learning how to do this a few years back and I'm happy to pass on my knowledge!

Looking for £975 (reduced from original price of £1150) for the unit, complete with guidance and advice to help with installation.

James

Hi James, Any idea how much a new one costs?
What did d you replace this unit in your ex GT3?
Many thanks

Porsche will sell you a new PCM as the main part in their retro-fit kit for around £5,000 (you can check the price if you Google for the Porsche Tequipment site and look in there).

In comparison, the DIY method costs something like £500 for the additional parts, the codes and the coding on top of the PCM itself if your base car has Sound Package Plus, Bose or Burmester as the starting point. If your base car has 'base audio', the CDR31 head unit, as was the case for my GT3, then you also need to add a separate power amplifier so you'd need to budget a minimum of £200-£300 for that, including the necessary cables.

It's actually all very straightforward to do (not the case when I started with my installation back in 2016; I was something of a pioneer, learning as I went, but many have followed that path since).

So a total cost in the region of £1700 - £2000, depending on your starting point, and maybe a day or so of free time, against the Porsche retrofit kit price of around £5000. A no-brainer in my book - and very satisfying to do.

The reason I am selling the unit is that I have now sold my 991 GT3 and I returned the car to its original spec before it went. So I removed the PCM and refitted the base CDR31 head unit - but actually left the other cables, bits and bobs (such as the USB socket and the GPS antenna) in the car as it wasn't worth removing them.

As I said in the original ad, I'll be more than willing to help the purchaser with their install, including a parts list of all parts needed, some written guidance/instructions and lots of 'how to do it' advice.

James

Hi James,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

:thumb:

I still have the PCM 3.1 so bumping to the top again, with a further price reduction.

As good as new!

James

I thought someone on here was looking for one of these after their PCM3.1 packed up in their Boxster :?:

Thanks - had a quick search but (unfortunately) I can't see any threads where someone is searching for a PCM3.1.

Just as well I'm not in a hurry - but it would be nice "to have it gone"!

James

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back