Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So, I'm thinking of parting ways with my 996.....

ScoobyDoo555

Barcelona
Happy New Year everybody :)

Not selling immediately, but I've now had the car for 9 years (10 in September), and it's been brilliant, but I'm thinking of something different, just in the interim until a hopeful return in a Turbo (and newer).

Which brings me on to the thorny subject of how to move such an item on, and pitching it correctly.

Surprisingly, there aren't many cars for sale on Autotrader. Mine's an MY00 Carrera 4 Coupe Manual (non-sunroof). 125k on clock, lots of documentation inc details of work undertaken during my ownership (inc servicing).
Mine IS a little different - widely documented at my time of purchase: especially when the engine needed "fixing" 6 months into ownership.
Cue a Hartech rebuild :)

Prices seem to range from £15k-£22k - for a laugh, I put in the details to WBAC.com, and they offered me £5.5k :floor:

Details of car -

MY00 C4 Manual (125k on clock) - just MOT'd in October (I did 2k mile last year :D )
Standard spec with a few differences:
Hartech rebuilt engine - no nasty noises or knocks.
Upgraded ICE
Refurbished wheels in Anthracite (new P-Zeros)
Dansk-style s/steel exhaust with new lambda sensors
Replaced rads & A/C condensors
Replaced brake lines
P/steering pipes in engine bay replaced and on steering rack.
Replaced water pump
Replaced clutch
Pads & discs all pretty new

"Bad" stuff -
The car is a daily driver, so it's in good condition for it's age. Despite being regularly detailed and "loved", it's not a garage queen.
Passenger door handle is a little sticky (through lack of use)
Seats have some scuffs on the backs and show general signs of age, but now tears or rips.

Dare I ask what sort of price I'd be looking at? I know they've gone up in price, which makes it so difficult to pitch.....

Advice would be brilliant.

Dan

£16-£19k.

ScoobyDoo555 said:
Happy New Year everybody :)

Not selling immediately, but I've now had the car for 9 years (10 in September), and it's been brilliant, but I'm thinking of something different, just in the interim until a hopeful return in a Turbo (and newer).

Which brings me on to the thorny subject of how to move such an item on, and pitching it correctly.

Surprisingly, there aren't many cars for sale on Autotrader. Mine's an MY00 Carrera 4 Coupe Manual (non-sunroof). 125k on clock, lots of documentation inc details of work undertaken during my ownership (inc servicing).
Mine IS a little different - widely documented at my time of purchase: especially when the engine needed "fixing" 6 months into ownership.
Cue a Hartech rebuild :)

Prices seem to range from £15k-£22k - for a laugh, I put in the details to WBAC.com, and they offered me £5.5k :floor:

Details of car -

MY00 C4 Manual (125k on clock) - just MOT'd in October (I did 2k mile last year :D )
Standard spec with a few differences:
Hartech rebuilt engine - no nasty noises or knocks.
Upgraded ICE
Refurbished wheels in Anthracite (new P-Zeros)
Dansk-style s/steel exhaust with new lambda sensors
Replaced rads & A/C condensors
Replaced brake lines
P/steering pipes in engine bay replaced and on steering rack.
Replaced water pump
Replaced clutch
Pads & discs all pretty new

"Bad" stuff -
The car is a daily driver, so it's in good condition for it's age. Despite being regularly detailed and "loved", it's not a garage queen.
Passenger door handle is a little sticky (through lack of use)
Seats have some scuffs on the backs and show general signs of age, but now tears or rips.

Dare I ask what sort of price I'd be looking at? I know they've gone up in price, which makes it so difficult to pitch.....

Advice would be brilliant.

Dan

When was the engine rebuilt (at what mileage) If you have the receipt that would be a bonus! Sounds like you have addressed the common areas.

I sold one last year with 115k on the clock with aero kit for 27k, I would sell yours for any less than 20k if the engine rebuild was pretty recent 👍

Aerokit cars in stand out colours (like GT3Owl's) have always sold for the strongest prices.
I think this one is teens rather than twenties. The 8 1/2 year old Hartech rebuild's a bonus to a handful of aware enthusiasts, but to anyone else, sadly, it's either a drawback or an irrelevance.
Sounds like a nice enough car with some potentially expensive jobs completed, but again, more of interest to someone who has done their research. Can you wait til spring to sell? The economy and household budgets may have gone under by then but otherwise it's a good time to sell.

Morning All,

Sorry for the late replies, I thought I'd put on the notifications 😂

Yeh the Hartech rebuild was done at 85k and yes, all the receipts for the work are available.
After all, with these cars, you buy a book of receipts and the car is thrown in for free 😂😂
I'm in no hurry to sell it tbh, but I've already started sniffing around the various car sites for potential options (never a good sign! 😂)

As for the values, it's the ballpark I figured, considering that when I bought it I did a LOT of research and knew what I was looking for..... but I'm a nerd. I would think that most normal buyers aren't that fastidious and agreed: could see engine work as a curse rather than a blessing. However, those in the know, know.

The 20s also put you in 997.1 territory, albeit with the minefield of untreated engines that we know would only be eradicated by the 997.2.
So perhaps the engine rebuild does command a premium?
The only way I'd find out is to chance my arm then 😂

But it is daft that because of this myriad of parameters, the pricing of a car is so wide.
Never had this 'problem" with other cars I've sold.

Granted: it's a nice problem to have 🙂

Dan

ScoobyDoo555 said:
Morning All,

Sorry for the late replies, I thought I'd put on the notifications 😂

Yeh the Hartech rebuild was done at 85k and yes, all the receipts for the work are available.
After all, with these cars, you buy a book of receipts and the car is thrown in for free 😂😂
I'm in no hurry to sell it tbh, but I've already started sniffing around the various car sites for potential options (never a good sign! 😂)

As for the values, it's the ballpark I figured, considering that when I bought it I did a LOT of research and knew what I was looking for..... but I'm a nerd. I would think that most normal buyers aren't that fastidious and agreed: could see engine work as a curse rather than a blessing. However, those in the know, know.

The 20s also put you in 997.1 territory, albeit with the minefield of untreated engines that we know would only be eradicated by the 997.2.
So perhaps the engine rebuild does command a premium?
The only way I'd find out is to chance my arm then 😂

But it is daft that because of this myriad of parameters, the pricing of a car is so wide.
Never had this 'problem" with other cars I've sold.

Granted: it's a nice problem to have 🙂

Dan

I'd try it at £19,996, a single cylinder rebuild is nearly £8k these days. The Hartech rebuild is a massive bonus point I'd say.

Good luck with sale.

It's a great time to sell a car as prices are all massively inflated. My only word of warning would be to carefully consider what your 'something different' might cost you, and what the value of that will do when the new car market eases up and prices go back to something more realistic.

I'm currently looking at Merc diesel estates and what was £6k last year is £10k this year.

arry said:
It's a great time to sell a car as prices are all massively inflated. My only word of warning would be to carefully consider what your 'something different' might cost you, and what the value of that will do when the new car market eases up and prices go back to something more realistic.

I'm currently looking at Merc diesel estates and what was £6k last year is £10k this year.

This is a great point! I have a RR velar which is 11 months old, the dealer in Oxford called me a couple of weeks back and offered me 3k more than I paid!

Like you say I'd have to pay it back out the other way though! 2nd hands helped boost the economy in the last two quarters of 2021!!

Interesting - is the new car crisis really impacting the prices of these used 996s?

Surely the 996 becoming more in fashion is pushing the prices and little supply of cars? Last year on Pistonheads i saw 110-120 cars advertised currently only 76. Or is this seasonal?

JV58 said:
Interesting - is the new car crisis really impacting the prices of these used 996s?

Surely the 996 becoming more in fashion is pushing the prices and little supply of cars? Last year on Pistonheads i saw 110-120 cars advertised currently only 76. Or is this seasonal?

The impact on older cars is surely a lower %

I don't think recent 996 price rises have been sustained (if they were ever real).

FGP would have asked more than £23k for a sorted early red aerokit C2 a year ago, surely?: https://www.friendsgreenporsche.com/car/porsche-911-996-carrera-manual-ims-done-4/

[compare with: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145191 ]

The 996 has undoubtedly enjoyed a coming into its own, and prices rising across the board (including for classics) have undoubtedly buoyed the 996, but as someone who is constantly watching the 996 market I am simply not seeing the sustained percentage rises that some Lotus, JDM and Fords have for example. Agree there are fewer for sale though.
Weirdly the same price observation is true of some Maseratis (Gransport for example, which represents incredible apparent value).

JV58 said:

I think that the increase in desirability and therefore values of older cars throughout 2021 was more to do with people coming out of lockdown and realising that you only live once. 'YOLO' certainly seemed to be one of the buzzwords.

Sub-£25k sports cars certainly seemed to sell well.

Well I did an autotrader search for C4 manual coupe and nationwide right now, there's 13 cars.
Ranging from £16k to £25k...... the usual things apply: some with body kits, varying mileage etc etc. None of which correlate with increase in price (hence the original question - SO hard to pitch)

They're holding "good" money for what they are.

The 997 C4 coupe - there are only 4 advertised. starting at £30k

So they're sitting in an intriguing place - £5k difference between the highest 996 and lowest 997.....

I'm currently off with covid-19 (FFS), so I can't look at my next toy anyway. Neither can I actively sell mine yet as the family is isolating for at least the next 10 days or so (all at different stages).

Time is on my side :)

Realistically the car is £17,500 max and be prepared to take any offer over £15,000. You can post it for whatever you like. Many people are doing and the cars are sitting and sitting. Sometimes though it might just tickle someone's pickle. Your big plus is the engine's been rebuilt. Does it make it any more valuable? Don't know. In estate agency it's a bit of an in joke that they all sort of laugh when the owner shows them around explaining how they've just replaced the toilet, or bath, or shower as if the agent is totting up in his head an extra 300 quid on their 300 thousand valuation. What it does is it makes the house more desirable.

As a buyer of one of these cars, regardless of the rebuild, I'd still look at the mileage and think of suspension wear and whether any arms (coffin or tuning) had been replaced, overall wear on the cars body and undercarriage (rust), have the timing chains been replaced, has the gearbox had work, are the bearings noisy and think realistically about it's value. In the process of buying one of these cars I've spoken to a few sellers who've all thought their car was the best example out there to have them surprised to see oil leaks, shot suspension, poor running engines, rotten jacking points etc etc.

Having said all this though it's a seller's market and 9/10 times the average buyer only knows to ask questions about things he's seen in YouTube videos and on forums rather than actually get his hands dirty underneath the car and check it properly... which is why I've seen bad cars sell only to appear back for sale a few months later under variously creative circumstances as to why their new 'pride and joy" unfortunately must go!

Otherwise, from speaking to people selling these cars, be prepared to field lots of the same questions from the same sorts of people, only to have them then ghost you when you give perfectly good responses. Not turn up. Make requests for cold start videos. One person I spoke to said he'd never known ANYTHING like Porsche buyers and despite loving the marque said he absolutely dreaded buying another for the sake of when it came to selling it!

ScoobyDoo555 said:
Well I did an autotrader search for C4 manual coupe and nationwide right now, there's 13 cars.
Ranging from £16k to £25k...... the usual things apply: some with body kits, varying mileage etc etc. None of which correlate with increase in price (hence the original question - SO hard to pitch)

They're holding "good" money for what they are.

The 997 C4 coupe - there are only 4 advertised. starting at £30k

So they're sitting in an intriguing place - £5k difference between the highest 996 and lowest 997.....

I'm currently off with covid-19 (FFS), so I can't look at my next toy anyway. Neither can I actively sell mine yet as the family is isolating for at least the next 10 days or so (all at different stages).

Time is on my side :)

Hope your all well, time to dwell 🤘

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back