Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So I am going to have to remove the cluster - what mods?

sparticle

Monza
So after deciding we are going to keep the C2 Cab COVID project car.....

I cannot live with the oil level check failure every time I start the car. Its the only thing left to solve after we replaced almost every other module on the car in the last 6 months. I have had a lot of advice from a number of people on the forum and read everything I think there is out there about this issue. At one point it seems that there were a number of companies who could refurb the cluster, but it transpired that was only replacing the LCD screens and nothing to do with the firmware etc.

Loads of articles about this most with no conclusion and conflicting information. The sensor is a 'b******* to get to but we checked all wiring front to back when the interior was all out. Full continuity and there is definitely resistance on the cable when ignition on etc.

Apart from the Oil Level Check Failure the cluster work perfectly. Onboard computer, lights dials functions cruise etc. PIWIS II does not show any cluster errors either.

I am not really worried about the oil level as this 996.2 C2 has a dipstick so good old fashioned checking is the order of the day. Just the fact it is a fault and annoys me. There is not a lot of information about what happens inside the cluster with the analog sensor signal. The connections do not go through the DME or other systems just straight into the cluster. There is full continuity on the wiring.

If I do decide to remove it and I can find a similar cluster at a reasonable price to replace it with and assuming that solves the problem then are there any other modifications that have emerged over the past 18 years that are worth doing to the cluster?

Are there firmware upgrades etc. That modders have released. One of the things I do struggle with is the brightness of the displays. Very hard to read in daylight/Sunlight. They are turned up to max or maybe there is some setting I am missing somewhere. But feels like they need the brightness turning up.

EDIT: Does anyone know if a C2 & C4 cluster are interchangeable/ I have a 2002 C2 Tip Cab and one I have found if from a 2002 C4 Tip Cab. It has a lot more mileage than my low mileage car so not sure how that can be resolved. Don't think my PIWIS II system can change the odometer reading.

As always any advice appreciated. There will be much request for advice/opinion on many things now we are keeping this one.

Cheers
Spart

At work and as we have a few donner clusters a swop and see if it fixes the issue is what i would try next but if the sensor has been replaced and the wiring continuity has been checked then are not many other options ..

A load check on the wiring .. so any feeds or earth to the cluster and the wires to the sensor .. i use a bulb and make sure it lights up .. wires from cluster to sensor and disconnect each end .. 12 volts / earth one end and a bulb the other ..

It's not much more than ticking a box to be fair but it's the last check left before condemning the cluster ... ohm meters use a small current to check .. load check is a full 12 volts .

A tip and a manual cluster can,t be swapped obviously but a C2 and aC4 cluster and i would think that they could .. i can't promise that but i see no reason why not ... coding will need checking what ever cluster you fit .

As regards to milage .. there are many companies out there that offer millage correction services .. just google it .

Some control units can have the software reinstalled .. i'm pretty sure the instrument cluster isn't one of them but i will look into it when i go back to work ..

That might be a while though as awaiting a test result for my daughter atm .. fingers crossed there that's for sure !

Many thanks Iain,

Yeah we had checked all the basic stuff and you and I had a previous PM session on it. Can't find an exact model unit at present just the C4 Tip Cab one one and it's from Germany so a PITA to return etc.

I do see a lot of USA units for sale they are MPH mine has a 200 MPH scale white clocks from factory etc. Not sure if the USA ones will have different coding etc. Although things like temp C and F are selectable in my cluster as are MPH and KMH.

Just wondered if there were any differences between a C2 Tip Cab and a C4 Tip Cab as far as the cluster was concerned lights etc. Would be good to borrow a unit and plug it in and see if that solves the problem. We have a PIWIS II computer so can easily do any activation etc.

I will keep looking for a perfect replacement meanwhile.

Cheers
Spart

Technically they both would fit and could be coded .. but its not something i've done and there may be a difference .. i cant off hand see what though as other than a front diff they are the same and a front diff has no bearing on the cluster .

i've never seen this fault and it being a cluster fault though so all i can say is im dubious .. if you have replaced the sensor and the wiring is fine then we have nothing else to go on ..

As mentioned i will see if the cluster can have a software reprogram or reset when i'm back at work and i have one to look at .

obviously a vehicle handover is needed just on the off chance .

I don't know the answer either, but fuel level sensors work differently between C2 and C4 so the fuel gauges may not be interchangeable (or could you swap the fuel gauges?).

I would look to get one from the same model and year as much as possible. The clusters do come out and come apart very easily.

MC

Thanks all,

I realised the USA gauges have the temp in Deg F so that is an obvious difference. I think as has been said try and find an exact model unit is probably best or live with it!

I made a low offer for the Germany one so see if they bite. It needs the stalks replacing as they are both broken but I read an article on that so comfortable I can replace them either with mine or a kit I found for 25 quid.

Cheers
Spart

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back