Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sean Edwards RIP

crikey he could make a 911 "dance" The speeds he is carrying into and out of these corners is just incredible. Moreover, he never had to "bully" people out the way in a race, as he knew he would get past using his racecraft/skill in a 911.

Sean Edwards......possibly the greatest 911/Cup racing driver of all time perhaps?

:worship: :worship: :worship:

A truly awe inspiring two laps of the VLN layout, with
Sean at his very best. The second lap overtake coming
down Schwedenkreuz on the right is plainly just ridiculous !
:worship:

I was going to the Barcelona Grand Prix, and was following the Supercup in the races leading up to the trip.
Porsche .
The only car that could support F1 races.

Sean posted on PH, and I dropped him an email, saying I was looking forward to seeing him race.
And he replied.
A really gentle guy, impeccable manners.

As it happened, I managed to get my hands on a paddock pass that weekend, and after qualy had finished, waalked up to the Supercup paddock, and walked round enjoying the 911 limelight, bathing in the Supercup technology.

When I got to Seans team, I asked a guy if he was about, and and said, my name was Stuttgartmetal.

Two minutes later Sean came out and showed me around the garage, his car, and I just was awestruck.
I got Mrs Metal to get a photo.

A truly gifted driver, patient, and a gentleman.
Such a tragedy for him to perish.
They should just give him this years Trophy.

He was a big lump as well.
Here's the pic, Im on the right.
Look at the mirrored body language, even hands.
LOL

Seeeya Sean.

Seeeya.

Sean997b.jpg

I don't know why, but your post and that photo brings tears to my eyes.

So many images of him - no, not him, Sean.

So many images of Sean in his racing suit and helmet, and it's easy to anonymise, easy to rationalise that this was his career of choice and he knew the risks etc etc

But then you are reminded he is still a human being, he is still someone's son or brother, boyfriend or simply just a friend never to be seen again.

I guess the rationalisation and distancing is what we do to get through life and deal with death.

Somehow your post just cut through that.

:salut:

infrasilver said:
I personally think its down to all the other drivers in the championship to make this decision, it would be a nice gesture, but down to them.

Maybe so, but the drivers have the least say; they are a long way behind the organisers & race teams in terms of influence.

Whilst it would be a nice gesture, it fundamentaly goes against
every reason for competing in motorsport in the first place.
Yes, its dangerous and all the other drivers are aware of it and
have put their own lives at risk throughout the series.
If you ask them to not to use the points from the final races, there is no
sensible reason for competing in those races given the risks they are taking.

I do hope the championship goes to Sean, but on race results.

tbrown said:

That really would be best, upholding what he raced for.

Otherwise it kind of undermines his own acheivements.

GT4 said:
tbrown said:

That really would be best, upholding what he raced for.

Otherwise it kind of undermines his own acheivements.

I agree.

If Sean wins it on merit - fantastic.

If somebody else wins it that person will have to live with people saying that it was the Championship that Sean Edwards probably would have won.

In that scenario, as the records will always remember the winner, perhaps a nice compromise would be for the actual trophy to be given to the Edwards family. :dont know:

NXI20 said:
infrasilver said:
I personally think its down to all the other drivers in the championship to make this decision, it would be a nice gesture, but down to them.

Maybe so, but the drivers have the least say; they are a long way behind the organisers & race teams in terms of influence.

On the rules certainly, but nothing can stop them pitting on the penultimate lap, so the outcome really does rest with Thiim and Amermuller.

Jochen Rindt did it.

Great post stutts, very humanising as GT4 points out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back