Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Round two done - brakes and suspension finished

Zuffenhausen :O) said:
tmilligan said:
Oh dear, I really didn't intend for this to turn into yet another tedious spat about how Bilstein is 100% wrong and anything else is infinitely better.

:D :grin:

Anyhow good to hear youre happy with the Bilstein installation Tom, most would agree you've made an excellent choice. :thumb:

Yes. And its always good to have one dissenter. It is only one, isn't it? :lol:

blimey, thread is 4 pages long already!

Dont forget them pics!

Am looking forward to seeing the calipers and the new stance!

wizard993 said:
I must admit it's been a while/too long since we had a really good barney on here :grin:

:boxer: :dance: :chin: hmmmmmm

The top of the morning to you Wizard ... :)

Loving your new avator by the way! :wink: :D

tmilligan said:
Zuffenhausen :O) said:
tmilligan said:
Oh dear, I really didn't intend for this to turn into yet another tedious spat about how Bilstein is 100% wrong and anything else is infinitely better.

:D :grin:

Anyhow good to hear youre happy with the Bilstein installation Tom, most would agree you've made an excellent choice. :thumb:

Yes. And its always good to have one dissenter. It is only one, isn't it? :lol:

Nah... more than that! :)

Achtung said:
wizard993 said:
I must admit it's been a while/too long since we had a really good barney on here :grin:

:boxer: :dance: :chin: hmmmmmm

The top of the morning to you Wizard ... :)

Loving your new avator by the way! :wink: :D

thanks...I tried to place a pipe in the avators mouth, to emulate that of a rabid old tyre collecting(exc p-zero :hand: ) fetishist :puh:

Without intending to add to the bilstein / monroe debate, I would add that I recently took a trip to CG to get my suspension looked at and sorted.

FYI my car is a C4S, 95,000 miles, and was on the original monroes and set up horribly.

Chris said that whilst accepted opinion is that the Monroes should only last 40,000 miles+ he reckoned they could be OK. Sure enough when he looked at them, he said he thought they were serviceable. Bear in mind I was prepared to shell out for new Bilsteins......

Basically the weight distribution had caused the rear shocks to drop - Chris added spacers, tested and adjusted everything, and now the car drives like a dream. Of course they could go any time, in which case I am back to square one, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

FYI this is my second C4S and the first one was uprated and lowered so I have something to compare it to. I dont think the harshness of the ride was an issue for me, but perhaps the tramlining is related to ride height?

On the other hand there are probably plenty of you with lowered suspension who dont have these issues so it is probably down to the setup - I am sure if CG had looked at my old car I am sure they would have eliminated the tramlining! I was really impressed with them.......

..thats good news. For you, your wallet and us as we don't have to view another 20 x pages of the 993 suspension debacle :thumb:

hoggy993 said:
agreed!! for the record once these fail I will be on Bilsteins :D

are you absolutely sure?......you can get convinced either way on here
:grin:

hoggy993 said:
Without intending to add to the bilstein / monroe debate, I would add that I recently took a trip to CG to get my suspension looked at and sorted.

FYI my car is a C4S, 95,000 miles, and was on the original monroes and set up horribly.

Chris said that whilst accepted opinion is that the Monroes should only last 40,000 miles+ he reckoned they could be OK. Sure enough when he looked at them, he said he thought they were serviceable. Bear in mind I was prepared to shell out for new Bilsteins......

Basically the weight distribution had caused the rear shocks to drop - Chris added spacers, tested and adjusted everything, and now the car drives like a dream. Of course they could go any time, in which case I am back to square one, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

FYI this is my second C4S and the first one was uprated and lowered so I have something to compare it to. I dont think the harshness of the ride was an issue for me, but perhaps the tramlining is related to ride height?

On the other hand there are probably plenty of you with lowered suspension who dont have these issues so it is probably down to the setup - I am sure if CG had looked at my old car I am sure they would have eliminated the tramlining! I was really impressed with them.......

Interesting post hoggy and good to see that Centre Gravity acted in a professional and responsible manner rather than pushing a sale of a new complete suspension package to boost his profit margin.

As a matter of interest do you know where/how he added spacers... maybe at the top mounts? or elsewhere on the rear struts?

hoggy993 said:

:eh!:

But the car drives like a dream,....... even on old Monroes! :)

.......... Fit Billies and they will jerk you wide awake! :what:

Mark my word! :)

Achtung said:
hoggy993 said:

...because Achtung HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS.... errr... no hang on.... no he hasn't :grin:

If the shocks have 'dropped' and the car is sitting on spacers, then the Monroes are doing very little, as there must be MUCH less travel/movement than the factory-fresh Monroe would give, and yet it now handles like a dream? :hand:

Achtung said:
hoggy993 said:

Aaaggghhhh! Please no more!!!!!!

orangecurry said:
Achtung said:
hoggy993 said:

...because Achtung HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS.... errr... no hang on.... no he hasn't :grin:

If the shocks have 'dropped' and the car is sitting on spacers, then the Monroes are doing very little, as there must be MUCH less travel/movement than the factory-fresh Monroe would give, and yet it now handles like a dream? :hand:

LOL So you know better than Centre Gravity and moggy himself! :)

But indulge me orangecurry, quantify how much less travel do you speak off? and where has Centre gravity went wrong?

NOW! LOL :D

It was Moggy who has said that the car handles like a dream not me! The thing is though CG has no doubt found that all four dashpots were not leaking and all four springs unbroken.

CG will also have assessed that the damping was still within the "critical damping" tolerances so...... Good to go. :)

Doesn't surprise me really, Monroes even @90,000 miles still good. :)

cyruspower said:
Achtung said:
hoggy993 said:

Aaaggghhhh! Please no more!!!!!!

:thumb: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back