Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear spoiler gear - replace?

turbo-obsessor

My rear spoiler gear makes a clicking sound and it doesn't retract once up.
It seems it had a new bearing a year ago with the previous owner and the casing has been reglued. Not sure if I could reopen this case without breaking it

Seems I might need to bite the bullet and buy a new one but would welcome views as to whether I can sort this one out.
If I do need a new one I'd welcome views on where best to buy? Looks like about £400 or so

It could be that the casing isn't tight enough against the bearing and gear centre, causing it to jump gears.

I replaced my bearing a few years ago and couldn't get both halves of the casing to join properly with glue. So I drilled two small strategically placed holes in the casing and bolted it together, then sealed it up with silicone (to keep the grease inside).

I've just taken the cover off for the first time in 2 years to take some photos for you and it all seems dry with no leaking grease, and there has never been any excess noise or clicking, so this is definitely worth a go if the next step is buying new.

See the photos below for location of the small bolts (excuse the 90 deg rotation of the photos, my phone likes to do this regardless of their saved orientation!).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• f0539cc9_e082_4b24_afcc_e1e3d6e41978_181.jpeg
    f0539cc9_e082_4b24_afcc_e1e3d6e41978_181.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 2,230
  • 9682ae8d_f271_474a_83d6_0f2c6431972b_750.jpeg
    9682ae8d_f271_474a_83d6_0f2c6431972b_750.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,230
That's very helpful. I'll give it a go although I fear I may break the casing but worth a go.
Thanks

Wondering if I simply drill and add the bolts without opening it up to avoid breaking it. I could use your pictures to determine where to drill.

I did mine many (18!!) years ago and it has been no problem, but as Gwsinc has highlighted you really do need to use bolts, you, I expect the glue could degrade over time, I think I used 3 bolts. I would, if possible take it apart and re lube as well as check condition alignment

There is one on Ebay for 423.00!! shocker!

Hope it goes well,

I split it open but looks like the large gear is damaged (teeth broken/bent)and so slipping; the worm gear seems ok
Any ideas if you can replace the large gear?

turbo-obsessor said:
I split it open but looks like the large gear is damaged (teeth broken/bent)and so slipping; the worm gear seems ok
Any ideas if you can replace the large gear?

Many have replaced these so you may be able to pick up one that isn't as broken as yours and salvage the large gear from it, worth posting something in the parts wanted page.

Otherwise if going new, this kind of part is normally cheapest from OPCs. Rose Passion has it listed at £308 so OPC will likely be a touch less than that.

( https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diag...sm-1064/96462412100-p47497-transmission-47497 )

I see RosePassion in France is offering this at £270 with delivery
Seems a bargain
Has anyone used them before?

turbo-obsessor said:
I see RosePassion in France is offering this at £270 with delivery
Seems a bargain
Has anyone used them before?

Hi, I've used RosePassion for a lot of parts over the years. I've always found the price to be competitive and good service and delivery. Obviously for me I buy within the EU now since Brexit. I'd get hit with import duties if I was to buy in the UK.

ATB :)

PM sent

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back