Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Range rover sport / disco 3 advice please..

alex yates said:
Just seen the one I was on about whilst walking the dog this morning. 3.0 Range Rover Hse Td6 Auto. Thought it was a decent buy for £8.5k ono. Although if it's a Disco or RR sport you're after I've failed :grin:

20170209_072011_HDR_zpsflacq4b7.jpg

20170209_070313_HDR_zpspjh6wezx.jpg

Cheers Alex :thumb:

Can you do the long walk tomorrow and find me a black one please. :?: :thumbs:

His son has a black RR Sport and changes his cars like his underpants. Same walk, same place :grin: :thumb:

alex yates said:
His son has a black RR Sport and changes his cars like his underpants.

Not knowing the gentleman, is this often?

The former or latter? :grin:

We have had the the Voque, RRE and we are now on our second Sport.

The Vogue was a Supercharged and never had an issue other than 10 to the gallon

The Evoque was trouble free for the 2 years we had it. They are really good cars, but not really a proper 4x4, more a jacked up saloon car.

Our first Sport 07 had £6k spent on it in 3 months. All the known things that could go wrong went wrong, all done under warranty though. Still a lovely car, but try to avoid the earlier Engines (very tractor-ish) and go for an SDV6

We have just bought a 2013 Autobiography Sport and its lovely, I am a big fan, they just feel really special and I love the look of them. Its also under Range Rover Warranty (they give 2 years on an approved used car) so should it go wrong it will get fixed, but from 2011 most of the issues where sorted. :thumb:

You will need very deep pockets for these , early Range Rover do gearboxes very common ( first sign is slow to drop into gear )

Common to run up big service bills on any of them . ( got a customer who ran up £11k in 2 years on maintenance :eek: on a 3.6 TDV8 Sport )

Fairly common to have a £2k service bill. For Discoverys and Sports.

Worked for Land-rover independent for 9 years so see a lot.

Ps no staff drive any land-rover product :?:

955matt said:
You will need very deep pockets for these , early Range Rover do gearboxes very common ( first sign is slow to drop into gear )

Yep. mine needed a £6k gearbox rebuild at 5 years old and less than 50,000 miles (I'd owned it for about a year) Bushes all round, replacement rad. etc.

And let's not even go into the trauma that we had regarding the ECU failure and having to spend 6 weeks finding the correct unit which eventually came from the US.

It used to cost me a bag of sand every time I drove it past my local LR stealer.

Our BMW x5 has been amazing and low cost in comparison, although the service department at our BMW stealer are a bunch of sharks. As soon as the warranty expired it went to a local indy. Costs ***** all nowadays.

It is a bit off putting listening to some of the stories.
Am I better keeping away from one of these then?

kas750 said:
It is a bit off putting listening to some of the stories.
Am I better keeping away from one of these then?

I don't know about the other models but with regards to vogues, I think the later ones are much better than the earlier ones. I was always surprised at the issues.
On one occasion when I was at the dealership trying to sort out the ecu fiasco, I noticed a 1 year old supercharged vogue parked up in the corner of their yard, looking a bit grubby and unloved. It turned out that it had had an electrical fault from new and after several months of the dealer having it in and out to try and resolve it the customer insisted on a new one or his money back - so the dealer gave him a new one. LR said the only thing they could do was replace the entire loom which i think was around £15k (it may have been more, it was several years ago), but the dealer needed to cough up as they hadn't authorised it. So in the corner it had sat for the best part of a year whilst they tried to get some resolution on it.

I also know someone who took delivery of a brand new one, for it to constantly drip oil on his glamorous resin drive from the minute he got it home. :lol:

Not really good enough for the money paid for them.

However, look at the issues we have with porsches.. so perspective is always needed.

Personally, I love our X5 and liked our Q7 (particularly the interior) although the latter did feel a bit big.

If we were to replace our rig, I'd also consider either again and maybe an XC90. Perhaps take a ride in a couple of them alongside the RR sport and Disco for comparison and then make your mind up?

I think you get good and bad cars what ever the make you go for .

Which ever make you work with , you will always see the rough. We see some cars once a year and some once a month .

No different to any other dealer, Im not sure you get many people driving the cars they work on.

We often get the guy on the phone asking about a common problem that we have never heard or seen of ( He's been on the forums !!! ) And we all know how bad they can be :floor:

CarreraMonkey said:
If we were to replace our rig, I'd also consider either again and maybe an XC90. Perhaps take a ride in a couple of them alongside the RR sport and Disco for comparison and then make your mind up?

I tried a few XC90s... nicely packaged, but the D5 engine was just horrid. Makes a vile mooing noise which is converted into modest forward movement.

The X5s take a lot of beating, but folk have views on BMWs, or more pointedly, the drivers... and they are not really proper 4x4s which might be an issue.

I shall hold out for a £24k Bentayga in 12 yrs time... :lol:

I was looking for one earlier this year for Mrs Osh - went to see several but she just didn't like them; we ended up getting a Mercedes ML350 4matic.

Ex-Mercedes car, 120k miles, full Mercedes service, still got full breakdown cover, fully loaded and paid £13k for it. Drives like an absolute dream and Mrs Osh loves it.

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back