Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Prepping for NC500?

911_n000b

If there are a million other posts discussing this topic, please do point me in the right direction.

I've a 997.1 C2S that I recently purchased from Northway in Reading. As part of pre-delivery work done, it has had a new water pump fitted, an engine oil change done, a transmission oil change done and a battery fitted. The coolant lines, radiators and condensors seem to be in good nick.

I'm planning on doing the NC500 in mid-May this year. Would you recommend a pre-trip inspection, or am I over thinking this?

Additionally, what tools would I be best carrying with?

Same as any road trip really, main thing you need to plan is fuel stops but fill up in Inverness and you should be fine.
Ullapool is main other place for fuel but there will be other wee stations.

Plenty of hardy highlanders that can help fix things if you do break something.

coullstar said:
Same as any road trip really, main thing you need to plan is fuel stops but fill up in Inverness and you should be fine.

This.
Also plan your journey time, depending on where you are based you could spend two of your days just getting there and back.
You could have a scroll through this section for the various write ups from previous trips,
http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, and :welcome: to 911uk, and don't forget to post up a pic or two of your C2S. :thumbs:

This.
Also plan your journey time, depending on where you are based you could spend two of your days just getting there and back.

Thanks - we've mapped out a whole week of driving, with the NC500 in 4 days, and a cheeky stop in Loch Lomond to try and recreate the famous Skyfall picture.

You could have a scroll through this section for the various write ups from previous trips,
http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Thank you for the link to the write-ups!

Oh, and :welcome: to 911uk, and don't forget to post up a pic or two of your C2S. :thumbs:

I need to wash the dirt I've already put on the car in the last week of driving and do some glamour shots. Will upload pictures shortly after.

coullstar said:

Thank you for this - I'll do a quick look through the route we've mapped and try to understand where petrol pumps are going to be available.

I usually go well prepared for a road trip but one thing that caught me out once up in the very North of Scotland was a slowish puncture where I had to stop every 20 minutes to pump it up again. There were no tyres place for miles and miles, I eventually found a fuel station and bought/pumped some of the repair foam into it, which didn't work.
I was eventually having to stop every 5-10 minutes to pump it up and soon realised I needed to fit the space saver to get me to Glasgow for a pair of new rear tyres as the tyre was now ruined. It was a long drive on the space saver.

I now carry a puncture repair kit that you fit from the outside of the tyre and I never leave home with out it, they are cheap and don't take much space up. It will get you out of the, you know what, if you are very remote.
I can't find the one I have but there are lots if you search online.

Yes all the way agree with the puncture repair kit, I brought a small kit off ebay to plug a puncture, brilliant and only about a tenner.

A good look over for anything obvious, oil / water / break pad and fluid check/
Breakdown cover and awayyyyyy

Oh and lots of spending money, some great food places etc

You may want to include some midge repellant (Avon Skin So soft is highly recommended) although mid May could be a little early for the buggers to come out

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back