Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Solihull

Dizzy991

Trainee
Have a 991 that suffered the dreaded flooding of the rear floor last December, this resulted in numerous warnings and the failure of the rear control unit and parking control unit, total cost to dry the car out, replace the control boxes and complete a major service was £2770.00 cost of boxes £687 incl. This was all done by the previous owner. Anxious to establish what caused the ingress and to avoid it in the future I contacted Solihull OPC and was subject to an interrogation by the phone receptionist who told me that I could not have any information on the problem as I was not the owner at the time and did not pay the bill, this in the interests of data protection. 'He might have driven through a river' I was informed. Could I have general rather than specific information then? I will see if service will ring you back. What happened to service and simple courtesy I am wondering and is it the business of a receptionist to decide the merit of a query including its legal status.

Dizzy991 said:
Have a 991 that suffered the dreaded flooding of the rear floor last December, this resulted in numerous warnings and the failure of the rear control unit and parking control unit, total cost to dry the car out, replace the control boxes and complete a major service was £2770.00 cost of boxes £687 incl. This was all done by the previous owner. Anxious to establish what caused the ingress and to avoid it in the future I contacted Solihull OPC and was subject to an interrogation by the phone receptionist who told me that I could not have any information on the problem as I was not the owner at the time and did not pay the bill, this in the interests of data protection. 'He might have driven through a river' I was informed. Could I have general rather than specific information then? I will see if service will ring you back. What happened to service and simple courtesy I am wondering and is it the business of a receptionist to decide the merit of a query including its legal status.

I eventually got through to service who couldn't tell me where the leak occurred but offered to carry out a leak check for me 'for peace of mind' for a mere £101. Pity Porsches aren't built by Volvo.

Data protection and GDPR rules I'm afraid. Hence why the V5 no longer has the previous keeper name/address published on it. :roll:

Sometimes dealers 'may' give you copies of work/receipts but will redact all personal information.

Here's a very detailed example :roll:

how-to-hide-personal-info-in-word-documents-5462.png

More annoyingly, a lot of dealers now are not passing on the file of bills that previous owners have kept, for data protection reasons.

OP - I'd have thought if it was going to leak again, it would have done so by now... just keep any drain holes clear

I didn't require details, all I wanted was the source of the leaks which can be given in general terms. In fact I have all the service invoices and have corresponded with the previous owner. He doesn't know the details.

Robertb said:
More annoyingly, a lot of dealers now are not passing on the file of bills that previous owners have kept, for data protection reasons.

OP - I'd have thought if it was going to leak again, it would have done so by now... just keep any drain holes clear

This is the problem, the 991, in the absence of a sunroof, doesn't have any drains as in the 996/7, the cills fill with water which drain through a valve, I cannot fathom what genius came up with the idea of filling the chasis with water, however the valves fail, the cills fill and drain into the car through fixing points for looms and flood. The trick is to remove the valve, this requires the removal of the side skirts for the C4S . I only wanted to know whether the OPC had found that this was the problem and if any rectification or modification was done. I will now have to have the cills removed to check. It is not a quick find, the water builds up over a lengthy period depending upon exposure and then leaks int the floor from below.

Dizzy991 said:
This is the problem, the 991, in the absence of a sunroof, doesn't have any drains as in the 996/7, the cills fill with water which drain through a valve, I cannot fathom what genius came up with the idea of filling the chasis with water, however the valves fail, the cills fill and drain into the car through fixing points for looms and flood. The trick is to remove the valve, this requires the removal of the side skirts for the C4S . I only wanted to know whether the OPC had found that this was the problem and if any rectification or modification was done. I will now have to have the cills removed to check. It is not a quick find, the water builds up over a lengthy period depending upon exposure and then leaks int the floor from below.

Interesting - I have seen deMort post that there was a campaign to rectify drain grommets on early 981/991 which were blocked from factory waxoil treatment, in which case some issues may have manifested early but for other cars that were kept dry may have taken a lot longer. As you say, leaving out sunroof drains there is little to actually drain - the 991 doesn't have any scuttle drains to the front. What I don't understand is what the cill drains are draining? Is it just condensation from the cavity? It's a worry which owners should be wary of and the tell is often misting inside for no obvious reason. I wonder if they sorted it for later 991 builds? I remember the pain Nick Murray went though with the protracted attempts by Porsche to sort the car out before conceding defeat - I guess this may have been the cause all along.

OttoOtto said:
Dizzy991 said:

Interesting - I have seen deMort post that there was a campaign to rectify drain grommets on early 981/991 which were blocked from factory waxoil treatment, in which case some issues may have manifested early but for other cars that were kept dry may have taken a lot longer. As you say, leaving out sunroof drains there is little to actually drain - the 991 doesn't have any scuttle drains to the front. What I don't understand is what the cill drains are draining? Is it just condensation from the cavity? It's a worry which owners should be wary of and the tell is often misting inside for no obvious reason. I wonder if they sorted it for later 991 builds? I remember the pain Nick Murray went though with the protracted attempts by Porsche to sort the car out before conceding defeat - I guess this may have been the cause all along.

Indeed and there is a you tube from the States where the owner is listing fault after fault including soaked carpets that apparently his OPC cannot fathom or cure. In deMorts excellent article he extracted almost a gallon from the cills which would suggest an ingestion rather than condensation, otherwise why do Porsche fit a drain and why put a valve on it? Garaging the car obviously helps and perhaps has masked many problems thus far, as for the OPC's is this a known problem that they cover up or just ineptitude? I am interested in finding out, it looks as if this might have been the problem with my car unless there is another source which is why I asked Solihull, but unless they can extract money from you they don't want to know. This is a one owner car and the previous owner kept every invoice and receipt which he has kindly sent me, the servicing invoices were with the car as the OPC never supplied a servicing book.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back