Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Motorsport Division X51 PowerKit (320 PS/235KW)

mankers said:
^ Do you know the option code for LSD?

Option code depends on 2WD or AWD.

M220 = 2WD nonPSM = 40% (or dialable to 65% for track work)
M220 = 2WD with PSM = 22% (or dialable to 27% for track work)
X75 = AWD PSM standard = 22% (or dialable to 27% for track work)

Adjustment is via the diaphragm spring rates.

The PSM compliant low-locking 22%LSD was developed and offered after 2003 (MY2004/2005).

The low-lock LSD can be retrofit to any MY2004/2005 manual 996 (2WD or AWD).

There is no Tip compliant variant.

AWD LSD was not production line spec'able.

So if you had a MY2004/2005 C4, C4S or even Turbo,Turbo S you had to request an off-line factory bespoke mod.

The vehicle was built as normal then sent to the Special Wishes dept to be fit out with the PSM compliant 22/27% LSD.

As this was an "Exclusive" order it bears the code "X75".

Needless to say, this process added considerably to the order process (up to an additional 12 weeks).

It is debateable how much effect a 22% LSD (M220) model actually dynamically outclasses the standard Automatic Differential Lock (M224) on PSM equipped cars.

One big issue is the LSD is a wear and tear item and therefore without maintenance and replacement a worn M220 equipped car may fail to outperform an M224 car.

Then the LSD is just more weight at the back doing nothing!

^ I expected 3 or 4 alpha numeric characters! Cheers GT4 that's certainly a comprehensive reply. :)

Really tempted to chuck all of this on the car.

Modified oil pan partition box (larger alloy baffles with aperture valving replaces small plastic baffles).

Uprated exhaust gasket for larger exhaust ducts.

Adapted exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behaviour.

Optimized inlet and exhaust ducts (machined and polished).

Modified intake system (modified cross-section - sand cast aluminium replacing plastic).

Assume I'd also need the modified oil pump to go with the new sump?

Worth doing or just a waste of time and money?

baptistsan said:
Really tempted to chuck all of this on the car.

Modified oil pan partition box (larger alloy baffles with aperture valving replaces small plastic baffles).

Uprated exhaust gasket for larger exhaust ducts.

Adapted exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behaviour.

Optimized inlet and exhaust ducts (machined and polished).

Modified intake system (modified cross-section - sand cast aluminium replacing plastic).

Assume I'd also need the modified oil pump to go with the new sump?

Worth doing or just a waste of time and money?

The real benefit to the X51 is the additional cooling, internals and oil pick up, these are not cheap add on components. Everything else is your standard free(-er) flowing exhaust/ intake system, available from any aftermarket tuner.
As a package it's extremely expensive to retrofit properly and you will not recieve this back come resale.

Saying that I've added the oil pan (no extra pump) and the centre rad, I figured every bit helps...

:dont know:

Forgot to post the Power-up Edition photo:

0708-1.jpg

Am I correct in assuming the X51 engine use the same IMS bearing as the standard car and therefore it is also prone to failure?

Yep.

But the high-G sump and dual oil pumps upgrade the block lubrication in general.

GT4:

This is great information! My book by Adrian Streather didn't differentiate between the 3.4- and 3.6-liter X51 engines. I'm having a 3.6-liter 996 X51 engine rebuilt right now. The builder took photos showing the X51 camshafts (they had "KIT" stamped on them) but didn't see anything different about the pistons (as you noted above, the 3.6-L X51 pistons are the same as stock). The engine block serial number starts off with "M96/03S", so I can tell that it is indeed an X51.

Based on what you said about the intake manifolds (parts 11 and 12 in the exploded diagram) being larger inside, I'll buy those, probably new from Porsche in Germany, as I haven't been able to find them used.

Do you have an exploded diagram showing parts 1-6 that you can post so I can tell what else is different from stock?

Will update next time I am in front of my PC.

Some more piccies:

1 = X51 upgraded dual chamber oil pump and additional return line
2-6 = X51 high-G vs std sump baffles and mating flanges

Attachments

• img_08522_197.jpg
    img_08522_197.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 10,797
  • img_08512_132.jpg
    img_08512_132.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 10,796
  • img_08502_160.jpg
    img_08502_160.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 10,796
  • img_08532_948.jpg
    img_08532_948.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 10,796
  • img_08492_160.jpg
    img_08492_160.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 10,796
  • img_08472_294.jpg
    img_08472_294.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 10,796
And exhaust system comparison

Attachments

• x51_headers_191.jpg
    x51_headers_191.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 10,782
Thanks for taking the time to document this. It seems like the X51 "power package" is as much about lubrication reliability as added power.

Previously you noted that for the 996.1 3.4-L engine, the pistons are different for X51 than for standard, while for the 996.2 3.6-L engine, the pistons are the same for X51 and standard. Are there any other differences you know of between X51 engines for the 3.4- and 3.6-L engines?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back