Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 GTS reviews

GT4

Nordschleife
2011-Porsche-997-Carrera-GTS_Image-03-800.jpg

Sporty, luxurious, racy – or just plain gorgeous. Choosing one adjective to describe Porsche's occasionally confusing 911 "¨line-up is virtually impossible.

But it's a mark of the model's incredible strength that there "¨are currently 20 different eagerly sought after 911s to choose "¨from – despite the fact that "¨there really is only one choice "¨of basic design.

And from December, there will be 21, thanks to the 911 GTS. 

Described as the first 911 "¨to combine the luxury of the Turbo with the simplicity of the entry-level Carrera 2, the GTS "¨also offers the same nod to "¨heritage as the recently launched Speedster and Sport Classic – with a name that's drawn from the 904 GTS, launched in 1964.

Porsche boss Matthias Müller revealed it to be the last major development of the current Type 997, the most successful 911 of all-time in terms of sales. A new, Type 998 911 is due to make its public debut in the spring.

In the metal, the 911 GTS is a beautiful machine. Combining the bodywork of the four-wheel-drive Carrera 4S with a delicious set of gloss black 19-inch RS Spyder alloy wheels, the car "¨also features black side skirts and quad tailpipes, and a front bumper edged in black.

There are also colour-coded GTS badges, including retro-"¨inspired decals applied along "¨the bottom of the doors. Inside, the front seats, the rim of the three-spoke steering wheel, "¨gearlever and handbrake are "¨all covered in Alcantara.

Sitting behind the rear axle "¨is the same 3.8-litre flat-six "¨cylinder engine used by another recent special edition 911 – the Speedster. Peak power rises by 23bhp to 408bhp, thanks to a sports exhaust and carbon fibre airbox, and 420Nm of torque arrives at 4,200rpm, 200rpm "¨earlier than in the Carrera S. 

As a result, it sprints from 0-62mph in 4.6 seconds, and "¨on to a top speed of 190mph. Fuel economy is unchanged at 26.6mpg. Twist the ignition key, and you'll instantly notice the deep rumble from the new sports exhausts, which fill the cabin with an urgent drum. The seating position is extremely comfortable, and looking out over the curving bonnet rewards you with a view of the front wings, which arc into view, helping you work out exactly where the front wheels are.

The driving experience is simply wonderful. The steering is delicate yet meaty, and brimming with feel, while the throttle rewards even the tiniest flex of your toes with metered forward motion. 

Thanks to its rear-engined "¨layout, there's an amazing amount of grip on offer, while "¨the nose darts into bends. This latest evolution allows you to step up to the limit in a progressive, and deeply satisfying way. 

The optional twin-clutch "¨PDK transmission is also very impressive, but we prefer the interactivity of the light, precise six-speed manual gearbox. The ceramic brakes are outstanding, too – although it's the uprated engine that leaves the biggest impression, offering enormous pace and driveability through "¨the 7,200rpm rev range. 

But there's more to the GTS than sporting appeal. The figure-hugging seats are immensely comfortable, and the well built interior feels very special. It's a comfortable cruiser, too, and "¨provides effortless throttle response in top gear. 

As an all-rounder, it's Porsche's best car yet – superior even "¨to the Carrera 2S. Yes, it's "¨expensive, but we can't think of "¨a better machine to sign off the current model's successful career. 

Porsche 911 detractors might as well look away now. We know there are a few of you in out there, as a quick scan of the thread following our first news article on this car underlines. But for those of you who admire, respect or downright adore 911s - the Carrera GTS might be just the thing.

Sure, the Carrera GTS's specification reads like a parts bin special. Some might write it off as a last hurrah, a run-out special before the new 911 arrives sometime early in 2013. (Ed. Wot us? Never... gulp.) Who cares if it is? When you've a parts bin like Porsche then why shouldn't you plunder it? Especially if the result is as tantalising as the GTS.

Porsche claims the Carrera GTS slots nicely in-between the standard Carrera and GT3/GT3 RS models. Its specification therefore sits somewhere in the middle, too. Purists rejoice, as the Carrera GTS is rwd, despite wearing the wider hipped rear bodywork of the Carrera 4. That's increased the rear track, allowed wider rubber (from 295/30 ZR 19s to 305/30 ZR 19s, the front track increasing by 2mm too), and allowed Porsche to firm up the spring and damper rates - as well as the roll bars.

There are no rear seats to save some weight, though you can option them back free of charge. The GTS also gets a larger 67-litre fuel tank as standard. Ask nicely and you can expand that to 90-litres, again for no additional outlay. The front bumper is from the special equipment line, the side skirts are GT2 RS items, there's a unique rear panel between the nano-coated - whatever that means - exhausts. Then there's the single nut RS Spyder wheels borrowed from the Turbo models.

Black detailing, some Carrera GTS scripting on the doors and engine cover (in contrasting brushed metal if you pick a darker colour) and an interior with lashings of Alcantara also mark out the GTS. There's also a new three-spoke sports steering wheel and standard sports seats, and plenty of other subtle changes to excite PH types who like to pore over the finest minutiae of 911 specifications. (If you add all the changes up you'd pay significantly more than the GTS's £76,758 list price.)

For the rest of us, all that really matters is the increase in power. The GTS essentially gains the powerkit that's offered on the S which bumps output up to 402bhp at 7,300rpm. That's not a massive hike over the standard 911 Carrera S's 380bhp, but it's produced higher up the rev range, while Porsche has also managed to fatten the torque curve in the mid-rev range. Peak torque remains the same at 310lb ft, but it's maintained between 4,200rpm and 5,600rpm, with an additional 6percent of torque available at 1,500rpm.
Those changes have been achieved via some re-engineering of the intake tract, while the standard fitment of a sports exhaust also helps. The increases don't hurt economy, but the standard Carrera GTS with the manual six-speed transmission reaches 62mph in 4.6 seconds. If you want it quicker still, option the PDK and you'll shave off 0.2 seconds, while adding the Sport Chrono Plus pack drops it down to 4.2 seconds.

Keep the manual though, as it's crucial to the enjoyment of the GTS. That fatter slug of torque might not look significant as a graph, but it adds markedly to the flexibility of the 3.8-litre flat-six. Even so it's still hugely eager to rev out to its 7,500rpm maximum, the greater flexibility also making the GTS an easier, friendlier companion when trickling through traffic. If only the sports exhaust better accompanied the performance gains, with the new pipes sounding a bit muted even when you're at the top of the rev needle's sweep.

The gearshift remains one of the 911's biggest draws, but I reckon - this side of the GT3 RS - it's the finest-steering 911 in recent memory. The Alcantara rim is loaded with feel, the weighting near perfect and the precision on offer is excellent. There's no slack in the system, and the GTS's nose is extremely eager to turn in, its greater resistance to understeer making the GTS more neutral in even tighter bends.

Suspension revisions make a difference here too. PASM is standard, the GTS managing that fine ride and control trick that Porsche demonstrated with the limited edition, mega money Sport Classic. There's a suppleness to the ride, yet it's taut and controlled even on poor road surfaces. It'll carry its speed down a road where a GT3 driver would be backing off, and retaining control where a standard Carrera S would be feeling a bit light.

Thank the lightweight wheels, and on this car the optional lighter PCCB ceramic brakes for reducing the unsprung mass. The GTS's suspension revisions create a more rounded 911, allowing you to enjoy its additional performance more of the time. Forget the doubters then, because the 911 Carrera GTS might just be the best resolved, most useable 911 around. And if that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps no 911 ever will.

I must admit if I was buying a GTS it would be in Guards Red as it looks stunning in the Total 911 magazine.

Too many white ones about,looks very nice and colour of the moment but I think in a few years it will not be fashionable.You cant go wrong with a Red 911 always popular and looks good.

I'm with you Ian; I'll take my GTS in guards red too, please. Or speed yellow, but I really don't want a third yellow car on the bounce!

I was looking at a guards red GTS at OPC Wilmslow yesterday morning; very very nice, the alcantara on the seats and steering wheel added that little bit of 'GT3-ness' to the interior... 8)

Ant Blain said:
I was looking at a guards red GTS at OPC Wilmslow yesterday morning; very very nice, the alcantara on the seats and steering wheel added that little bit of 'GT3-ness' to the interior... 8)

Go on Ant.....you know you want to <gentlenudge>

~ Maxie :)

Maxie said:

I can't afford / don't want to spend £80k+ on a car, I was only there for a replacement bulb for my old yellow runabout! :grin:

I'll probably change mine next year though, I'm thinking maybe a cab next time (997 C4S as I fancy the wider rump, or maybe, just maybe, a V8 Vantage drop-top). 8)

Ant Blain said:
Maxie said:

I can't afford / don't want to spend £80k+ on a car, I was only there for a replacement bulb for my old yellow runabout! :grin:

I'll probably change mine next year though, I'm thinking maybe a cab next time (997 C4S as I fancy the wider rump, or maybe, just maybe, a V8 Vantage drop-top). 8)

A man of fine taste! I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two. For me, I think the Porsche would just pip the Aston though by virtue of it being lighter weight (about 300kg?) and more economical to run, that's 25mpg vs 18mpg. However, the Aston is arguably better looking, a rarer sight on the road and you can't beat that V8 growl even if your P-car has the PSE. I think you'll face tough decisions when the time comes.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Ant Blain said:

You know, if you just stopped buying things like bulbs from OPCs, you could probably afford a GTS.

Saw a white one in London the other day ............. Lush!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back