Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997.2 4S Collecting Cars

Zingari said:
There's something about the Collecting Cars site that can't help me thinking prices end up too toppy and smoke and mirrors is in play :what:

+1

Alex said:
Zingari said:
There's something about the Collecting Cars site that can't help me thinking prices end up too toppy and smoke and mirrors is in play :what:

+1
Squelch's summary of their business model is spot on

Not a fan of collecting cars, commissions of up
To 6k is a joke plus does it state no reserve, you think it's an auction but the reserve is hidden

Prefer themarket no fees if your looking at auction

Autoscout or mobile.de for Euro cars we use here but LHD 997.2 4S 60k plus

https://www.elferspot.com/en/

Private Pike said:
To 6k is a joke plus does it state no reserve, you think it's an auction but the reserve is hidden

It is 5% +VAT, with a cap of £5k +VAT!

What auction site states the reserve!? Your comment is the joke.

I think they have a great platform - if they are showing cars as sold that are not, they will soon be found out.

Zingari said:

1'd agree with the first part of your statement, I've bid on CC for the past year, and stuff (especially Porsches) sells very well.

With regards smoke and mirrors, I know a few that have bought and sold cars on the platform, and the suggestion is the vast majority is exactly as shown (price achieved commission etc etc).

I think a few dealers have used it a channel to sell sticky stock (often archiving close to retail money), and created a whiff of tricksyness.

The biggest factor at play is bored men at home with cash buying a hole in their pockets.

Poker2009 said:
Private Pike said:

It is 5% +VAT, with a cap of £5k +VAT!

What auction site states the reserve!? Your comment is the joke.

I think they have a great platform - if they are showing cars as sold that are not, they will soon be found out.

I think you mis-understood, what im stating is that cars especially in the early days where placed on the auction without showing that there was a reserve against the vehicle, you would win the auction only to be told the vehicle hadn't meet its reserve.... frustrating!!

As for your comment joke well lets stay nice

:D

If your worried about tyres, you should not be buying a car from an auction.
They will turn out to be the least of your concerns.
That article is very badly written by someone who isnt clever trying to sound clever.
I would be more inclined to be concerned about rusty brake pipes, not that its a huge issue to sort. But it quickly gives you an indication that you will face further corrosion elsewhere.
Corrosion is always a widespread factor,almost completely dependent from where the car has spent most of its time. Buy a Scottish car & expect a rust bucket.
General rule of thumb. the further south of the country where it has been, the better it will be.

With a hammer price of £38k the buyer ended up paying about £40,250.

For a 2010 C4S with 52k miles that seems a good deal compared with similar cars on the market. It certainly provides a few £k slush fund.

I'm guessing they've done literally nothing to it in the day between buying it and putting it up for sale. I wonder if they intend to address anything which is in need of doing or is that what the market says about 997.2 4S at the moment and the peace of mind from buying through the trade is worth £6K or so?

b8575 said:
I'm guessing they've done literally nothing to it in the day between buying it and putting it up for sale. I wonder if they intend to address anything which is in need of doing
They've not even taken fresh photos - used the pics from CC's listing (they may not have even collected it yet)! I sold a car once and the dealer who bought it messaged me that evening asking me to send him the pics I'd used as it was too dark for him to take new ones!!

It also makes me laugh when I see cars advertised using photos taken at BCA etc - if the dealer's happy to advertise a car possibly / probably without even having driven it yet, I do wonder how interested they really are in what they're selling. :dont know:

squelch said:
It also makes me laugh when I see cars advertised using photos taken at BCA etc - if the dealer's happy to advertise a car possibly / probably without even having driven it yet, I do wonder how interested they really are in what they're selling. :dont know:
Exactly this - it would also make me curious about their other stock too. If they're happy to put a car up for sale unseen for a healthy margin, how much due diligence are they doing on their other stock?

A dealer buys it and puts it up for what they think they can get. What's the issue? They may get that money, they may not and reduce it.

It was an absolute bargain on CC. If someone buys it, and there is an issue, the new owner will have some comeback (unlike on CC), and the dealer will have expenses to pay for operating and tax.

There's no issue, it's merely that

a) it gives an indication of what the market for these cars are like at the moment and also what the perception of buying from a dealer with a (albeit well reviewed) 3 month after market warranty might be worth

b) I thought that a few things were highlighted as needed doing on the some of the paper work shown on CC. I'm guessing that they have inspected it and found they are fine or they intend to do them to the car before sale.

But if a) is true maybe the buyer won't care as I'm guessing things like a worn ball joint or corrosion aren't covered under warranty

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back