Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 3 + Spotify

Remote

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, looking for a list of what is needed to connect my phone up to PCM 3 in order to play music.

I have searched the forum and it appears that

Bovee 1000 and Porsche Y-Cable should suffice.

However is this still the case with the more modern versions of Apple Iphones??

I have three connection options under the armrest which are Aux, USB and IPod.

Is Bovee 1000 still the weapon of choice or is there a new alternative?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a BT adapter for the headphone jack in the arm rest. Cost me £10 off amazon and streamed Spotify no problems. The only issue was that if you were getting in and out of the car every 5 mins, you needed to turn the BT back on. Long drives, no problem. Perfect

I'm using the Bovee with Spotify, Waze/Google maps etc.

Very impressed with it and allows you to change tracks from the PCM/Steering wheel.

The phone is also connected to the PCM via BT for voice calls.

Or try the NM Automotive CarPlay kit for an integrated solution.

Have had both options.

Bovee - need to mount phone at place can see to use maps or screen controls if dont have M/F wheel, cheap, uses USB in the centre console, keeps BT for calls
NW Auto - full carplay, reverse camea option, expensive (5x), keept BT for calls

If you have the £ NM Auto is a step up but alot of £ for what for some might be only a small functional increase.

Have had both options.

Bovee - need to mount phone at place can see to use maps or screen controls if dont have M/F wheel, cheap, uses USB in the centre console, keeps BT for calls
NW Auto - full carplay, reverse camea option, expensive (5x), keept BT for calls

If you have the £ NM Auto is a step up but alot of £ for what for some might be only a small functional increase.

Cheers, the NM Automotive option seems very good, would appear to be able to bring the PCM 3 up a few years while still looking OEM.

Thanks again.

Bovee and battery drain

badbadtz said:

Very impressed with it and allows you to change tracks from the PCM/Steering wheel.

Just bought a '10 plate Cs2 cab having recently sold the 991.2 C2S, and waiting for a 992 factory order (Not holding my breath).

Plugged in the Bovee to the Y cable and all working well with the Bose. Question... Can the Bovee be left plugged in 24/7 or is it a battery drainer? I noticed that the Bovee unit still had the blue power light illuminated after I took the key out of the ignition. I'm hoping you' guys will tell me that the media interface will shut down after 'x' minutes having removed the key from the ignition.... Cheers

Re: Bovee and battery drain

Edwos said:
badbadtz said:

Just bought a '10 plate Cs2 cab having recently sold the 991.2 C2S, and waiting for a 992 factory order (Not holding my breath).

Plugged in the Bovee to the Y cable and all working well with the Bose. Question... Can the Bovee be left plugged in 24/7 or is it a battery drainer? I noticed that the Bovee unit still had the blue power light illuminated after I took the key out of the ignition. I'm hoping you' guys will tell me that the media interface will shut down after 'x' minutes having removed the key from the ignition.... Cheers

Good question. If it's only days between using the car I leave it plugged in and have not noticed any drain issues. But when I know I'm not using the car for weeks I typically unplug it

Remote said:
Cheers, the NM Automotive option seems very good, would appear to be able to bring the PCM 3 up a few years while still looking OEM.

Thanks again.

I have used all the suggestions above and more. By far the best solution is the NM automotive kit. I use apple car play with it which enables apple
Music and Spotify and worldwide radio etc etc all
Whilst maintaining the original head unit. (Also supports android and airplay)
I'd go as far as to say it's the best money I've spent on the car (and I've spent a lot!) 997.2 C4S.

Thanks for the reply!

And whilst semi on topic, I have inherited a PCM3 screen with a couple of rather nasty scratches on it. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I guess I'm looking at a completely new unit rather than replacing 'just' the screen? Or, probably just live with it! Cheers

One of the biggest benefits of the NM kit is the input source quality ie TuneIn radio or Tidal/ Spotify. This is far superior to the Bovee or any similar devices. Also the benefit of digital radio as opposed to FM.

ftaffy said:
Have had both options.

So I guess the sound quality from Spotify as source into the NM option is greater than that of a B'tooth stream as the iPhone would be plugged in by cable to the head unit? I do like the freedom of not having to plug the iPhone in to the centre console even though this might have a slight detrimental effect on acoustic quality.

i would strongly consider the 2022 generation of android decks.

they have been out for years now, but finally there is a fully oem looking one with knobs in both silver (997.1) + black (997.2).

unlike the dynavin + other options this truly looks oem

and yes, even the 'oem' porsche pccm+ 996 is also a chinese android deck, just reSkinned + licensed... but with purposly limited functionality (no wireless carplay/rear camera support). it's not an oem (becker) product.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...;805.74;-1;-1@salePrice;CAD;search-mainSearch

Se7befb5d83b64476ae02d2ef45f4c8d1N.jpg

Scd591df5b8d54d4db03085aefa3687e64.jpg
[/img]

CJZ119 said:
One of the biggest benefits of the NM kit is the input source quality ie TuneIn radio or Tidal/ Spotify. This is far superior to the Bovee or any similar devices. Also the benefit of digital radio as opposed to FM.

Is the NM kit literally a 'wiring kit' that upgrades the PCM 3.0 'behind the scenes' or does it ship as a full and complete headset, in which case for the latter I would be able to benefit from a new screen and lose the existing scratched screen that I have..?

And, if the NM system is truly wireless, how is the sound from the (say) Spotify stream sonically superior than compared to the Bovee?

And given NM aren't exactly local to me in Yorkshire, is this an easy DIY or need I find a decent local car audio garage?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back