Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil service, or not

...I've been oil shamed :floor: despite less than a thousand engine warm miles and a little less than a year I am going to change the oil before I release my car from winter hibernation in the car hole :thumbs:

...oh and if looking for a car wax recommendation; swissvax best of show...simply the best I've ever used :thumbs:

I bet your oil is totally fine and will last for many more miles if it hasn't been used for loads of short journeys. An oil test costs about £30 so you could do that and stick the results in the service book, if it needs changing then the oil test will say so.
I heard of someone who changed the oil anyway on his low mileage 996 but then reused it in his family jalopy for 1000's of miles as it was much better oil than the stuff he previously bought for it and it was still in reasonable condition when he changed that!

Hey, I do that! :grin:

It comes out of this

And goes into this -

The Volvo above is an old non Turbo. Not to be confused with my other burgundy Volvo that's a T5. I spoil the T5. It gets new oil. :grin:

I run the burgundy Volvo owners club. :D

...I owned an 850T5 in olive green with tan interior and no spoilers...lovely comfortable thing, loved a drink and an appetite for front tyres!

Very nice GMG. Classic colour combo too. 8)

I do love 850s but they're getting rare nowadays and are falling into proper 'classic" territory. I'd not want to treat one as a daily. Mind you I'm getting precious with my V70 T5 and that's gone from a replacement for the non turbo workhorse, to a 'summer daily" only. Truth be told it will barely even be that, as it's a keeper and I've brought it back up to a good standard.

Yes they are a bit thirsty. Mine is getting on for 300bhp it likes a drink. It's actually not too bad when driven normally though. Manual means not as bad as auto for MPG.

So I guess I still need another daily. :wink:

And yes they are mega comfy. Everyone who travels in mine says it's unbelievably comfortable. They're 25 years old now too.

Definately! high quality oil is the only thing between an engine and destruction, and it's (and filter) cheap.

...mine was an auto...I have a very,very fond memory of a road trip of sorts with my brother in law to meet a french builder at a house I purchased and then owned for 13 years in the Loire...it was January and bitterly cold...the Volvo just ate up the miles and just so fast,smooth and comfortable and I'd own it again in a heartbeat! It's a car I'd rewind time for...one of only a few I'd wish to do that for...

...traded it for an Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5v6 diesel :?

Apologies as it's turning into a post hijack. I had a couple of Volvo 850 estates as company cars. They were bloody great. 850 estates were run by Volvo in the BTC and won the title a few years on the trot IIRC.

Thanks all. Oil service it is then!

6th year of ownership for me so far. MOT passed on Friday with no advisories, so all is good.

Cheers

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back