Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil service, or not

Scully

Silverstone
Hi all,

I did just over 1000 miles last year and since the last oil change.

Would you change the oil and filter again this year?

My feeling is that it's a waste of money, accepting that modern thinking on 996's is to change annually (which I usually do).

Promise to do more miles in it this year!

Cheers

Dave

It would be interesting to take the sample of your oil and send it somewhere to check its state - that would give the ultimate answer to such questions.
I don't think modern oils are that fragile, but who knows.

I'm in the same situation, going to change mine 👍

I reckon for the price of an oil and filter change at a garage or doing it yourself it is worth it for your peace of mind and anyone who may consider buying it in the future.

I like using a good indy for this sort of job as they will typically do a general health check which is helpful for catching things that may be starting to perish (think rubber etc.).

I'm going to be the contrarian and say no, unless it was mostly short journeys.

Always!! No question.

It's only £100 or so, which is nothing vs the value of your car or the cost of an engine rebuild.

Oil is cheaper than metal, meaning look after your engine. Plus a buyer will want to see it. :thumb:

I say yes change it.
Even after 1000 miles there will be some contamination that could affect the oil or engine internals and as Marky says its only £100 or so

Marky911 said:
Always!! No question.

It's only £100 or so, which is nothing vs the value of your car or the cost of an engine rebuild.

Oil is cheaper than metal, meaning look after your engine. Plus a buyer will want to see it. :thumb:

:yeah:

...I'm inclined to say waste of good oil provided the journeys were not all very short. I know all about the Cadbury build quality of these engines but I dont believe they are quite this fragile...

...and Millers Oils Motorsport CFS 10w-50 NT+ Nanodrive Fully Synthetic Engine Oil which is what I use and Hartech recommend is now £85 for 5 litres so you'll need 2 of those plus a filter so £180 ish quid to self do...

Doesn't matter how good the oil is, it's the other stuff that contaminates it like water and petrol. You only have to take your filler cap off and see the mayo to know what I'm talking about.

1k miles and one year old? Waste of good oil imho. I'd just drive it for another 4K miles / or another year and then change.

Unless it has had a lot of cold starts - in which case petrol dilution is an issue. I'd take a small sample of oil via the filter housing or dipstick (996?) and give it a good sniff and sample the colour and feel? If it smells at all of petrol or is very black then change. If not then just use the car.

1K miles is nothing if covered over 4 or 5 journeys... But 10 or 20 cold starts without a longer drive then change it.

I don't. If mileage is under 1,000 or so a year, I go 2 years before a change.

Modern synthetics are good for 10,000 miles plus, some specify up to 20,000 miles now. Remember this stuff sat under the ground for millions of years, then could well be 2 years old after being extracted and bottled, sat on a shelf and sold.

It's a bit like cambelts. On my VW T5.1 Shuttle campervan, it's meant to be done every 4 years. In 4 years, that will be lucky to do 8,000 miles. I stretched it to 6 and the belt was as new when removed. The age thing is mainly for heat cycles, so people who do several short journeys a day, don't try to make it last for 15 years as they've only done 10,000 miles.

The oil still looks good when I change it and pressure is still high, 3-4.5bar.

I use the expensive Millers CFS NT+ Nanotec 10W50 though.

I change both filter and oil yearly whatever the mileage, 750 in this case 2021/22

I really should get out more i know :eek:

Swamps :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back