Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil & plugs

baptistsan

Monza
Sorry if it has been covered before but my car goes in for a service in January. I can save a fair whack of cash by sourcing my own oil and plugs. Oil, the dealer uses Mobil 1. Will go with that unless someone can advise on a better alternative. Spark plugs, haven't got a clue. What do people use and where can I buy them from for a reasonable price. TIA.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101582

which 996 do you have...

Mobil 1 is ok , but can be sourced for less... better Oil's do exist but cost more so cost effective sourced Mobil1 may be better.. eg. CostCo do good deals..

Plugs, better the leave them as Porsche OEM unless your car is out of warranty then Uridium options exist, and another main cost on plugs is the labour which cant really be avoided...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101588

Thanks for the reply. Car is a 2002 C4.

Would the labour for the plugs not be covered in the price of the service? It's the 48k.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101591

labour is covered but in view of the alternatives the OEM spec aint that bad and better to keep them in rather offering them an excuse if something goes wrong

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101667

I would shop around for your own oil and supply it for the service if it's an OPC. OPC charge silly money for the oil, and considering it's about 9L of the stuff for a 996, you can save a few bob.

But for any other parts, I would stick with the Porsche supplied items. Just ask for the old plugs back as proof that they were changed...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101683

postamble();
I got caught with exactly this, the Porsche service maintenance costs are £167 to change the spark plugs. This is ontop of the price of the minor service £327, or the annual service £160.

But if you are having the major service every 2 years or every 24,000 miles at £536 this includes the spark plug change.

I guess all these are excluding VAT

FYI - I just happened to have picked up the 996 service pricing booklet at my OPC last weekend

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101697

Went in to Costco last night and they do indeed sell Mobil 1. Only problem is, it's 0-40w. So that looks like a no no then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 102803

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by baptistsan on 22 December 2006

Went in to Costco last night and they do indeed sell Mobil 1. Only problem is, it's 0-40w. So that looks like a no no then.
That's the standard grade that the OPC use.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 102804

Indeed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil1 0-40 for use in a 911.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 102806

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 22 December 2006
Indeed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil1 0-40 for use in a 911.

Nothing that Silkolene or Motul ester-based stuff can't better!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 102998

Silkone Pro S gets my vote, worth spending the extra

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103023

:lol:

Having looked around I'm going with the Silkolene. Amazed that it is cheaper than the Shell 5-40w fully synth stuff in the local garage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103056

On ebay you can get
10 ltrs Mobil1 0-40 for £49.95
5 Ltre Silkolene ProS at £39.95
5 Ltres Shell Helix Ultra at £32.99
Locally I found at Halfords 5 ltre Mobil 1 0-40 at £29.99 (store special offer)

BTW My local OPC said categorically Mobil 0-40 is the one to use ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104353

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob STEW on 28 December 2006
On ebay you can get
10 ltrs Mobil1 0-40 for £49.95
5 Ltre Silkolene ProS at £39.95
5 Ltres Shell Helix Ultra at £32.99
Locally I found at Halfords 5 ltre Mobil 1 0-40 at £29.99 (store special offer)

BTW My local OPC said categorically Mobil 0-40 is the one to use ?

Of course they would! Especially the extra special Porsche supplied Mobil 1 :twisted:

In all seriousness, check the approval rating on the oil, both Silkolene and Motul are Porsche approved.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104374

Thought I would report back with how the service went at Sutton Coldfield OPC.

A pleasant chap came out to pick her up at 8.30 in the morning. Took her nice and gently around the corner, the PSE really isn't that loud.

11.30 the dreaded call came :(
Right Sir your horn is gone :)
there is a leak from the variocam seal and you have a split ignition coil pack. Bloody hell is that all?! They then ran through how much it was all going to cost.

At this point a big thumbs up to Stratstone who I had the car from. Gave them a call and explained the situation, asked if this was covered by their warranty. Told that they would be in touch with the OPC and all would be sorted. True to their word, got a call at 16.30 to say the car is all finished and they could deliver it back as and when

Car had been cleaned in and out and from the once over I gave her all seems well (it was dark outside when she came home).

Also turns out that the brake fluid had been done last year so didn't need doing this time which knocked another chunk off the bill.

The car has been pronounced fit for warranty so am now just waiting on the paperwork.

So far, so good from Sutton Coldfield, just need to take her for a good run and see if she feels any different after all the work.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107890

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back