Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil level query

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I had a message come up today when returning from cars mot (it passed), to check oil level, I've tried a couple of times but it keeps saying car must be level, which it is?
I don't know if the fact it went for mot today is a factor, any ideas what I can do to get the oil level reading?

Thanks

Jason

I can't see how that would be anything to do with the MOT itself. When did you last check the oil?

If you turn the key on the car without pushing down the clutch pedal the car should do an oil check for you. Find a really good flat space somewhere (petrol station forecourt, big supermarket car park perhaps) and twist the key.

Remember that the oil check only shows the top litre perhaps of the 8l in the car so the difference between the measures on the display is only a few hundred ml.

If doing a check doesn't work then it could be the oil level sensor or something?

spinnaker said:
I can't see how that would be anything to do with the MOT itself. When did you last check the oil?

If you turn the key on the car without pushing down the clutch pedal the car should do an oil check for you. Find a really good flat space somewhere (petrol station forecourt, big supermarket car park perhaps) and twist the key.

Remember that the oil check only shows the top litre perhaps of the 8l in the car so the difference between the measures on the display is only a few hundred ml.

If doing a check doesn't work then it could be the oil level sensor or something?

Thanks for the advice, the areas where I have attempted to take a reading have been totally flat, I think you may be correct in identifying the oil level sensor, I'll have it looked at, I did wonder if I disconnected the battery if that may reset it?

I'm still getting this message, have tried again on a dead level surface so I think it must be a faulty sensor, anyone know which it would be and wether it's a diy job or needs to go into the garage?

Tia

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back