Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

***Non-Turbo 996 owners - Please read - IMS DATA REQUIRED***

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Can a humble Gen. 1 Cayman S play?.....

Chris - of course you can give us the details of yours if you want, as a demonstration of good ownership, but I'll not include the data in any reporting I do.

If this thread takes off and I get enough data to statistically prove that the UK owners of the 996 who use this forum contradict the mindsets of peoples beliefs (ie. IMSB failure scoring high in the risk assessment stakes), then I may do a similar thread with other models and other issues eg. bore-scoring on 3.6 & 3.8 engines. This would then give the 'readers' an idea of what is actually happening in reality rather than internet hype.

Great data to collect Alex, looking forward to viewing regular updates on the trend of these data. Here's one more for the pot

date inputted: 05/03/15
member: Beej160
model: 996 C4S
engine size: 3.6
purchase date: 26/01/2015
date registered: 06/05/2004
mileage (at purchase): 95700
mileage (now): 96200
bearing (orig./replacement): Replacement
failure data: n/a
Comments: IMS was replaced in February 2011 during Hartech engine rebuild. The rebuild was primarily to fix bore scoring, I assume IMS was replaced as a preventative measure rather than failure.

Ok - 2005 (55 plate) Cayman 3.4s, all original AFAIK (nothing in the full service history), Bought in 2013 with 32000 on clock now 43000. No failures at this time.

:thumbs: Thanks.

Here's my data.

date inputted: 05/03/2015
member: Shurv
model: C4S man
purchased: Feb 13
mileage at purchase: 40,500
mileage now: 53,788
bearing: original
Comment: IMS seal has been replaced 3 times since registration

:thumb: Thank you.

Here's my data.

date inputted: 05/03/2015
member: DaleD53
model: C4S Manual Cabriolet X51
purchased: August 2013
mileage at purchase: 15773
mileage now: 19387
bearing: Replacement/Upgrade fitted in 2001
Comment: Previous owner elected to go for a replacement clutch/RMS seal/IMS bearing (ceramic I think) during a major service in 2001 @ 12,000 miles. Not due to any problems but rather as a preventative/upgrade.

Are you also going to include bore scoring which is (probably) more common and based on the recent comments made by Hartech on here (the accepted experts in the UK) likely to happen to all 996's at some point :dont know:

+1[/quote]

wibbaboo said:
Are you also going to include bore scoring which is (probably) more common and based on the recent comments made by Hartech on here (the accepted experts in the UK) likely to happen to all 996's at some point :dont know:

+1
[/quote]

I will start a new thread in the next week or so for bore score of the 996. I didn't want to add it to this survey to avoid confusion.
This survey is specifically about IMS bearing issues.

I totally understand that bore score is a major issue of these cars but believe that it would be more sensible to treat it as a separate issue.

As yet I'm really impressed by owner's enthusiasm and help, as are (I hope) other members.
I find these type of posts far more helpful and entertaining than members (including myself) debating some of the problems recently witnessed.

Keep up the good work folk and keep watching :thumbs: :worship: :thumb:

Hi Alex,
Is it easy for people to check the engine number on their cars to see if it's the original?
I don't recommend posting of VIN's and Engine numbers but if there's a way they can also check if the engine has been replaced in the past I.e. before ownership.
If it's not easy then I wouldn't worry, but it might also add to the data your collecting.

aint this already been compiled from the class action

Porsche_Class_Action_Lawsuit_Failure_Percentages_Exhibit1383012197.gif

Id be interested if any indies could post comment on what they see on the shop floor % wise on bore scoring. Been thinking of a 996 as a 2nd porker but dont like the odds

poorleno - yes it has. But this is different. What I'm trying to achieve here is an understanding of the problem now.

After many discussions and much reading, I'm of the opinion that a large % of the problem was a manufacturing issue and all the 'defects' have since 'popped' or been replaced and all the ones left will not fail in the same way as these did.

Therefore the original problem stated in the data above has long gone. What we're are doing here is collating current (over the last couple of years) data to if what I believe above is true or whether IMS is still the issue it once was.

Also, anybody statisticians reading this will know that you don't need a sample size of 100% to predict what is happening to 100% of the cars out there.

edit: half the data in that chart isn't true (just an projection). All they've done is got production figures and either times them by 1% or by 8% for every year in every area. It's baloney.

Why don't you start a post on Indy bore score comments?

dangerboy said:
Hi Alex,
Is it easy for people to check the engine number on their cars to see if it's the original?
I don't recommend posting of VIN's and Engine numbers but if there's a way they can also check if the engine has been replaced in the past I.e. before ownership.
If it's not easy then I wouldn't worry, but it might also add to the data your collecting.

Hi,
You can do by actually looking on your engine block (see photo below) and checking your V5 (don't know whether that gets updated when an engine is changed), but if you spend £3 on a HPI it will also give you original engine number.

Problem is though, without any documentation, it's hard to know why the engine was changed (could be any of a multiple of failure types).

post-4000-004725700%201280690271.jpg

Hi Alex

Just out of interest, what is the trend looking like right now (if you've been compiling as you've been going along)?

How many people have responded?

19 current owners (3.4 - 5, standard 3.6 - 10, X51 3.6 - 4)
2 previous owners
1 caymen owner

4 standard 3.6 have had replacements either as a preventative measure or because engine was having other work done. 1 possible replacement in a previous ownership but no documentation to back it up.

0% IMS issues within current ownership.
Total mileage of all cars - 1.5 million miles
Total ownership mileage - 110,323
Total ownership time - 8 years, 3 months & 5 days

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back