Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nico Rosberg retires: World champion quits Formula 1

T8 said:
apollokre1d said:
T8 said:
A massive shock but probably not a great surprise.

He's achieved the ultimate in his sport and can now concentrate on enjoying the rest of his life.

:bye: Nico

Well I am very surprised :) I would have thought he would have stayed onto prove a point.

What point :?: He took his chance this year ....... Even without the regulation changes I'm certain he couldn't have repeated it.

That it was not just Lewis's car failing that enabled him to win (even though I think it was) People will always question that.

Disco said:
Who replaces him will be interesting. To my mind Mercedes current young proteges don't yet look ready for promotion to the front line ...........

Doubtless Toto will have to pick Ocon from Wehrlein as the two options with Mercedes contracts in F1, but one wonders if there are escape clauses in the deals of more experienced alternatives given the major changes to the cars next year and importance of the manufacturer title. :?:

My money would be on Pascal Wehrlein. He's got a lot more experience than Lewis or Max had before getting a top seat and would be a lot 'hungrier' than Alonso.

Porsche News said:
wow

Now lets get that German into a seat at Porsche for the 2017 WEC FIA Endurance Championship :thumb:

+1
I had exactly the same thoughts !

:thumb:

adamw said:
Porsche News said:
wow

Now lets get that German into a seat at Porsche for the 2017 WEC FIA Endurance Championship :thumb:

+1
I had exactly the same thoughts !

:thumb:

Not bad for a number two driver.

apollokre1d said:
That it was not just Lewis's car failing that enabled him to win (even though I think it was) People will always question that.

you could always claim that position and look back at results for almost half of every F1 title race

a I still think Nigel was ropped of the 89 title due to that unreliable Ferrari

Porsche News said:
apollokre1d said:

you could always claim that position and look back at results for almost half of every F1 title race

a I still think Nigel was ropped of the 89 title due to that unreliable Ferrari

Yeah but how many of those guys handed in their notice right after winning?
Most stuck around or are still there.

Like Father Like Son...

It's his Mrs that wears the trousers... Not Toto!

Sad to see him go... But its unlikely that he would ever win another championship (unless new engines miraculously blow on Hamilton's car next year). :grin:

Yes, before you all wonder, i'm with Team LH!!!!! :hand:

Agree with KMA880 that I doubt he would win a second title. I also think he doesn't handle the pressure of the racing world as well as Lewis, you have to hand it to Lewis, what he did on Sunday backing them up at the end was a pretty ballsy move!
I think that and the fact that he's made his millions is probably the reason he left.
To be a triple world champion like Senna, Prost, Hamilton & Schumi you have to be completely self centred and ruthless and Nico bless him just couldn't cope with that again, he'll be remembered as a good driver but not a legend.

+1 easternjets I think to become a multi championship winning F1 driver you need that mean win at all cost streak that Senna and co had

T8 said:
Disco said:
Who replaces him will be interesting. To my mind Mercedes current young proteges don't yet look ready for promotion to the front line ...........

Doubtless Toto will have to pick Ocon from Wehrlein as the two options with Mercedes contracts in F1, but one wonders if there are escape clauses in the deals of more experienced alternatives given the major changes to the cars next year and importance of the manufacturer title. :?:

My money would be on Pascal Wehrlein. He's got a lot more experience than Lewis or Max had before getting a top seat and would be a lot 'hungrier' than Alonso.

If I had to bet at this point I would tend to agree, but I still think that he appears to still be a tad accident prone and hasn't yet shown definitive signs of consistent speed. If I were the boss at Merc, I'd be looking to line up more experience - especially with big rule changes coming up.

As for Danny Ric and Max : why ever would either leave Red Bull at the moment (even if not already locked into contracts)? Next years new aero rules would normally lead to an expectation of a tangible performance shift towards the Adrian Newey designed car... ? Seriously - there is probably a real amount of money being put on Max for the title next year right where he is.

Would love to see Alonso and Lewis going head to head, they're both brilliant racers and Alonso must be getting near the end of his career and be looking for a 'swansong' cause let's face it McLaren are becoming the Minardi's of the F1 world.

easternjets said:
Would love to see Alonso and Lewis going head to head, they're both brilliant racers and Alonso must be getting near the end of his career and be looking for a 'swansong' cause let's face it McLaren are becoming the Minardi's of the F1 world.

:yeah:

I think someone from the Germans DTM team could be grafted in.

Totto's wife is Scots, Di Resta is highly regarded by Mercedes and is the most senior of the merc DTM drivers with lots of single seater wins(champion) and F1 experience, so I'd certainly not rule him out of the running.

We could do with more Brits on the grid with JB moving on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back