Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie looking for advice

Alkidrew

Hi all,
After many years of owning Audis, BMWs & Alfas, i'm hoping to buy my first Porsche 911 to start my retirement at 55. I'm hoping you can help me with some questions & advice on the spec.

In summary, i need to keep it under £100k for my own sanity (never spent more than £45k on a new car!) and would prefer to go for the Standard 992 with some nice extras than go for the Carrera S and limit it.

The code for my config is PNRD5KN7 but its basically GT Silver Carrera, glass tilt/slide roof, Carrera classic wheels, LED lights, 14 ways seats and GT steering wheel.

Questions:

1. How far through the lifecycle is the current 992? I think it was launched in 2018 so i dont want to buy something that is being replaced soon but from what i can see, 911's have a long lifecycle.

2. Insurance companies want a tracker, does the PVTS tracker that is standard cover this requirement? it's sufficient to tick the box?

3. I've always had rear wipers on cars so have ticked this but what are peoples views on this option?

4. Any must have options i've missed?

Regards
Andrew

Alkidrew said:
Hi all,
After many years of owning Audis, BMWs & Alfas, i'm hoping to buy my first Porsche 911 to start my retirement at 55. I'm hoping you can help me with some questions & advice on the spec.

In summary, i need to keep it under £100k for my own sanity (never spent more than £45k on a new car!) and would prefer to go for the Standard 992 with some nice extras than go for the Carrera S and limit it.

The code for my config is PNRD5KN7 but its basically GT Silver Carrera, glass tilt/slide roof, Carrera classic wheels, LED lights, 14 ways seats and GT steering wheel.

Questions:

1. How far through the lifecycle is the current 992? I think it was launched in 2018 so i dont want to buy something that is being replaced soon but from what i can see, 911's have a long lifecycle.

2. Insurance companies want a tracker, does the PVTS tracker that is standard cover this requirement? it's sufficient to tick the box?

3. I've always had rear wipers on cars so have ticked this but what are peoples views on this option?

Regards
Andrew

Welcome to 911uk.

1. If Porsche are to keep to their pattern of previous 911 variants then the 992 will have come to its production end in 3/4 years.

2. Insurance companies recognise the Porsche factory fitted tracker (PVTS)

3. Subjective.

4. Subjective.

For £100k outlay you could get yourself into something further up the 911 foodchain than a standard carerra, albeit not brand new. Your choice your money.
Others will be along with their advice on how you can spend it.

Good luck.
:thumbs:

Another :welcome: to 911uk

I'd expect there to be some mid-life enhancements to the 992 for Model Year 2023 - which starts in September 2022.

Rear wipers are useful in my opinion but can slightly affect the looks in terms of the lines of the car.

Porsche trackers should suffice for Insurance purposes.

Personally I would spend the money on sports exhaust than sliding glass roof. It's your choice end of the day.

Other options are electric folding mirrors, parking sensors +- reversing camera. Quite hard to reverse safely without assistance in my experience.

Welcome to the Forum. :lol:

£100K is a good budget - will get you into a 991.1 most of the N/As or even a 991.1 Turbo, a variety of 991.2 including GTS, or 992 Carrera standard or S.

In terms of the 992, if it is 385bhp (standard) versus 450bhp (S), then I would go for the S every time, as 65bhp difference is noticeable even on normal road driving.

PSE, PASM and Sports Chrono options enhance the driving experience, so I would gravitate towards these over other options, as used in various combinations they change the character and driving experience depending on how you are feeling that particular day.

If over 3 years old, get a car with an OPC warranty for extended peace of mind. Condition of car would always come before mileage in my eyes.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you end up deciding to do.

T8 said:

I'd expect there to be some mid-life enhancements to the 992 for Model Year 2023 - which starts in September 2022.

So would that be for deliveries after Sept 2022? Not sure what the current leadtime is but i'd certainly be happy to wait for delivery post September if it meant getting a mid-life cycle update

Alkidrew said:
T8 said:

So would that be for deliveries after Sept 2022? Not sure what the current leadtime is but i'd certainly be happy to wait for delivery post September if it meant getting a mid-life cycle update

I suspect that anyone ordering now would have to wait until after September 2022 for delivery and would get a Gen2 car IF one is actually planned.

NB: My reasoning is that (a) all previous water-cooled 911 models have had a mid-term change and that (b) 2023 represents the 60th anniversary of the 911 so it would be a doubly appropriate time to launch one.

So, I ordered a 992 C2GTS Cabrio in October 21 and delivery date is late March 22. I have been quietly told by an OPC that Porsche are pushing the GTS models through as I suspect they make more money on them, and want them out there.

I've driven coupe and cab Carrera S with PDK (my GTS is a manual!) and they are incredible things, the complete lack of turbo lag is just amazing, and have read a base spec 992 Carrera is the pick of the bunch.

Here's your problem, second hand 992's are pretty much list price and above because of the supply problems caused by Covid etc etc.

So, it's something I have looked into a lot, and I would say either go the base carrera route, or stretch to a GTS. It has a lot of improvements, different look, and in the future will hold it's value very very well, especially a manual!

As far as options go, rear wheel steer is apparently exceptional and well worth it. I have gone a bit mad at the moment and my spec is £138k+!

An interesting thing though is that the GTS has 473bhp, which I think is the same as a 997 turbo! The S' I drove where stupidly quick, but also still had all of that "911ness" about them, communicated, no turbo lag (worth reading why that is!), you knew exactly what was going on and incredible to drive.

Hello Alkidrew

Congrats to firstly retire at 55 (im 54 and am on the countdown)

100K budget will get you a 991.1 Turbo S or 991.2 Turbo, 991.1 GT3 -might be worth considering if you can run an older model

based on my experience of having no rear wiper, its not an issue as for most of the time the screen can be cleared by the a/c and screen heater.

Alkidrew said:
Hi all,

Questions:

Regards
Andrew

Hello Alkidrew

Welcome to the site. I retired at 52 over 10 years ago and still working 60 odd days a year for fun.

I collected my 992 Targa 4S in March and like you wanted to stick around the £100k mark but in the end spent £119k on a new one to my spec. Currently it's probably worth £135k so I would get your order in. I looked at all sorts of cars . Demo Audi R8 Carbon full spec.with 200 miles, AM DBS and Vantage, Lambo etc.. 991.2 Targa 4GTS had a lot of fun but finally decided a New 992 Targa 4S was the way to go. No regrets so far and even sold my RS4 Daily driver and expecting a Taycan CT 4S in 7 weeks time.

In answer to your questions and some other thoughts,

The S is way better than the standard engine.
992 only really been around 2.5/3 years and minimal change expected apparently.
The 4 feels far more stable than the RWD to me but appreciate having come from years of RS Audis I am a quattro fan.
Insurance - I am with LV and they require PVTS to be activated via Vodafone and that works for me.
Rear wash wipe (Bidet) looks Ugly IMHO and frankly pretty pointless.

Options which are good fun and help resale too.

Bose
Sport Exhaust
Sport Chrono
Glass Roof
Free Storage pack
Nicer wheels - I love the Carrera Classic.
Sports seats
LED lights
I love the ventilated seats on Cab or Targa

It's all personal and where do you stop?

Personally if you want a Coupe I would look at and drive a 4S with some if not all the top 6 options above.

Turbo and Turbo S and GT3 used will all be within budget but GT3 and probably others are less useable on the road and harder and costlier to insure even for us old farts. £1000+ pa versus £300

PM if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

Rick

Attachments

• img_0212_163.jpg
    img_0212_163.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3,074
RGBArgee said:
Alkidrew said:
Hi all,

Questions:

Regards
Andrew

Hello Alkidrew

Welcome to the site. I retired at 52 over 10 years ago and still working 60 odd days a year for fun.

I collected my 992 Targa 4S in March and like you wanted to stick around the £100k mark but in the end spent £119k on a new one to my spec. Currently it's probably worth £135k so I would get your order in. I looked at all sorts of cars . Demo Audi R8 Carbon full spec.with 200 miles, AM DBS and Vantage, Lambo etc.. 991.2 Targa 4GTS had a lot of fun but finally decided a New 992 Targa 4S was the way to go. No regrets so far and even sold my RS4 Daily driver and expecting a Taycan CT 4S in 7 weeks time.

In answer to your questions and some other thoughts,

The S is way better than the standard engine.
992 only really been around 2.5/3 years and minimal change expected apparently.
The 4 feels far more stable than the RWD to me but appreciate having come from years of RS Audis I am a quattro fan.
Insurance - I am with LV and they require PVTS to be activated via Vodafone and that works for me.
Rear wash wipe (Bidet) looks Ugly IMHO and frankly pretty pointless.

Options which are good fun and help resale too.

Bose
Sport Exhaust
Sport Chrono
Glass Roof
Free Storage pack
Nicer wheels - I love the Carrera Classic.
Sports seats
LED lights
I love the ventilated seats on Cab or Targa

It's all personal and where do you stop?

Personally if you want a Coupe I would look at and drive a 4S with some if not all the top 6 options above.

Turbo and Turbo S and GT3 used will all be within budget but GT3 and probably others are less useable on the road and harder and costlier to insure even for us old farts. £1000+ pa versus £300

PM if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick, I am surprised that LV insured your car. Lots of no' recently from them looking at responses on the forum. I was with them all the way but with the new weapon, they declined.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back