Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New GT2 anyone??

I suppose that would be the 962 that Porsche water cooled half way through it's production life to get better more reliable power out of. ANd I do realise why the wheelarch extensions were fitted, however, on a full race prepped car it's understandable, on a road registered car it's not. You would laugh if it was on a boy racer special, but not because it's a Porsche. From the comments you made it sounds like you don't think we like 993 GT2's, quite the opposite in fact, I love them. I love my GT3, but there are things that annoy me about it, I know what I like thats all.

Max

Max Bowler said:
Oh, and I fully agree with you on the traction control issue, the amount of drivers that can control 530 hp with their right foot alone is pretty minimal, something like 60% of the carrera GT's out here have been written off, they may be able to afford them, but they can't drive them.

Just the thought of all those wriiten-off CGT makes me want to cry!
Max

Graeme, just to clarify; Porsche's prime motivation for going water cooled on Production models was to meet emissions in their biggest market - USA , was not thinking about air cooled racing engines.

Also, my thinking is that Porsche realised that if they wanted to shed the 'widow maker' tag from the GT2's [and also perhaps not to attract the wrath of the road safety lobbyists] then they had to fit drivers aids to this latest model.
What's more, people like the Saudi's that Max quoted and myself - whose disposable income far exceeds our driving abilities - are encouraged by the inclusion of these clever electronics to own Supercars that won't kill us.

The last thing I need is a car that wants to kill me, I have thousands of Saudi nationals try to do it to me every day I drive out here, never driven in Egypt, but I reckon it's not much different.

Max

Max, having driven or been driven in both countries, I can offer these observations;
Saudi: good roads, good cars, good road lighting, cars well maintained and have to pass an annual test, but drivers erratic and more interested in the fine adjustment of head gear/beard/hairstyle in rear view mirror, high speed driving, road hazards - traffic light grand prix, sand and camels.
Egypt: bad roads, mostly old cars and even older drivers, lada taxis, poor or none existant road lighting and the lack of lights on cars, donkey carts, bikes, etc, no vehicle testing, drivers erratic, speeds lower due to v.high traffic volumes, road hazards - everything from trams to horses to holes in the road. Oh, and women drivers!
I never drive in Egypt these days!

Thanks chaps. I did not take offence or mean to cause offence. I stand corrected that some of the 962's were water cooled, 956's weren't. We all have different abilities and the countries that we each live in have a bearing on that fact.
I don't like heights, I am useless at any form of physical sport but give me a 911 and a track and I'll be smiling for a week. I just prefer to be in total control, (hopefully) that is what gives me that adrenalin buzz and why I am about to spend stupid money on buying a 993 GT2, over three times more than I have paid for any car that I have ever owned before. I must be mad but hey we only live once :)

Graeme;
I am about to spend stupid money on buying a 993 GT2, over three times more than I have paid for any car that I have ever owned before. I must be mad but hey we only live once......................

Is this a tease? More details and photos please.

Awaiting to confirm inspection for next weekend. If all goes well and I hope it does then the deed has been done.

By graeme36s, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 400 at 2007-07-22

By graeme36s, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 400 at 2007-07-22
5575740kp8.jpg

Non meant or taken, and yes it's stunning, love the colour too.

Max

Hope you get some dry track days to enjoy her, do you have any planned?

lets get the car bought first but 21st August Silverstone GP if all goes to plan. Need to organise some aluminium BBS wheels, 380mm discs and change the brake fluid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back