Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My ocean blue 1999 996.1 C2

Nice work on this Toby. A great, well thought out development path.
The gear knob looks great.

Oh and congrats on the GT3. 8)
Some might say a natural and unavoidable progression. :grin:
How are you finding it?

Looks so nice with ambers. Very cool. I'd stick some gen 1 wheels on too. I'll have the my02 alloys off you. Just sold my my02 and wish I hadn't you can never have too many spare wheels. They look v.good though but of course not period correct - no ulterior motive :whistle:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to do an update on this thread!

Car has been back to Precision twice since my last post for various maintenance items, including new rear brake pads & discs, drivers window regulator & some minor sunroof issues. Currently it's in for major service & MoT ready for another year of motoring fun.

It's also been back up to Center Gravity to reduce the ride height by 10mm now that it's fully settled & had decent number of miles after the last tweak. Chris did his usual thorough inspection & road test, and made a few extra tweaks including bit more camber which sharpened the steering. All good R&D learnings which will go into their new 996 C2 CGGT products coming to market around April time. Ride height now perfect for me.

On the way up to CG, I popped over to see Lee Everden who has been making a YouTube series on his 996.1 3.4 -> 3.7 Hartech rebuild project. He wanted to compare his new engine to a standard 3.4 with his measuring equipment, side by side, same day, same road, same weather, etc. So I was happy to help.

You can see his video of this test below. It was very interesting to drive these cars back-to-back. The extra power and especially torque of the 3.7 is hugely noticeable. It's MUCH faster. However... I'm a huge fan of the revvy nature of the 3.4, and the way it encourages me to drive using whole rev range, and especially after if picks up from 4.5k onwards. The 3.7 can be driven much more on torque so temptation is to change gear sooner. Very different, just depends what you want. Grass is not always greener. If I was going for rebuild in future, I would really be torn but would be very tempted to stay 3.4 assuming it keeps the same characteristics. Either way, both great engines in a great car.

Hugh_ said:
I had missed your July update on this following the completion of that tranche of work at Precision. How are you getting on with CG and their development of bits of the C2? I'm going to press mine back into regular use next year so thinking more compliancy than my current M030 would be worth investing (who am I kidding!) in.

I can highly recommend considering the new CGGT products. The C4 products are out now, C2 coming in couple of months. Just give them a call or email. I tested their C4S with M030, then again afterwards and it's night-and-day. Will be same for C2. Personally I really couldn't get on with M030 for our roads. I actually find my 996 GT3 set up is much better. Ohlins, KW's, etc also not for me. CG have nailed it with their products. And I've tested most, all with Chris & Pete at CG so everything else being equal. If you want extra compliance whilst retaining control and sporting drive, there is no better IMO. If you want more track-bias then discuss as probably better options.

Marky911 said:
Nice work on this Toby. A great, well thought out development path. The gear knob looks great. Oh and congrats on the GT3. 8) Some might say a natural and unavoidable progression. :grin:
How are you finding it?

Thanks Mark. It's basically everything I love about my C2 on steroids. Naturally I'm heading up to CG on Monday for Chris to fine tune it to my style & preferences. It's definitely more engaging & fun (for me) than my 997 GTS which I essentially swapped it for. The 996 GT3 is the sort of car that teaches over time, like peeling layer of onion. No drivers aids or electronics, just driver and machine. A thrill every time for sure.

IMI A said:
Looks so nice with ambers. Very cool. I'd stick some gen 1 wheels on too. I'll have the my02 alloys off you. Just sold my my02 and wish I hadn't you can never have too many spare wheels. They look v.good though but of course not period correct - no ulterior motive :whistle:
Very good IMI - although I'm a huge fan of my wheels, and wouldn't change them for anything else on this car. Light, great looking, and super easy to clean. Just perfect :)

Attachments

• cg_side_516.jpg
    cg_side_516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,029
  • cg_rear_130.jpg
    cg_rear_130.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 1,029
Those wheels lovely Toby. My fave modern Porsche wheel - love the 996 love on this thread :thumbs:

Glad you're enjoying it Toby!

I'm still yet to get mine down to CG but I will. I want to get mine as nice as possible for road use. I need to discuss spring rates with Chris first. I'm thinking 60/100, f/r.

Will be interesting to see what you have done with yours. :thumb:

tob_today said:
I'm a huge fan of the revvy nature of the 3.4, and the way it encourages me to drive using whole rev range, and especially after if picks up from 4.5k onwards. The 3.7 can be driven much more on torque so temptation is to change gear sooner. Very different, just depends what you want. Grass is not always greener. If I was going for rebuild in future, I would really be torn but would be very tempted to stay 3.4 assuming it keeps the same characteristics.

That's an interesting observation. So would you say all the character of the revvy 3.4 is lost? I've been deliberating this for quite some time pending a needed engine build on my 3.4.

I much prefer my 996.1 over the 997.1 for host of reasons other than simply the difference in engines. Nevertheless, I am wary that by making a significant change in the character of the motor I'll lose something that makes my 996 the more appealing of the two, but then would not going for the capacity increase always leave me thinking it was an opportunity missed...

It was a great opportunity being able to run them back to back!

giraffeinbath said:
tob_today said:
I'm a huge fan of the revvy nature of the 3.4, and the way it encourages me to drive using whole rev range, and especially after if picks up from 4.5k onwards. The 3.7 can be driven much more on torque so temptation is to change gear sooner. Very different, just depends what you want. Grass is not always greener. If I was going for rebuild in future, I would really be torn but would be very tempted to stay 3.4 assuming it keeps the same characteristics.

That's an interesting observation. So would you say all the character of the revvy 3.4 is lost? I've been deliberating this for quite some time pending a needed engine build on my 3.4.

I much prefer my 996.1 over the 997.1 for host of reasons other than simply the difference in engines. Nevertheless, I am wary that by making a significant change in the character of the motor I'll lose something that makes my 996 the more appealing of the two, but then would not going for the capacity increase always leave me thinking it was an opportunity missed...

It was a great opportunity being able to run them back to back!
Yes I think it's really important to compare before making such a big commitment. Hartech used to have a demo 3.7 car, not sure if they still do, but would be worth a trip just to try it first.

Alternatively you can try a standard 996.2 3.6 car as these are signicantly torquier engines compared to 3.4, which gives an idea. The 3.7 is then a big jump on from that. For me, I just like keeping the revs in the higher RPMs and using the gears. But I drive my car mostly for fun. If I was doing a lot of daily / regular driving probably more torque would be better, as makes it easier drive.

If going for 3.4 rebuild, I would expect it would feel stronger after anyway as it would be fresh & worn components replaced. Plus I'd take opportunity to improve air flow while doing it with different exhaust set up (e.g. manifolds & cats), as Hartech can use Wayne (aka Chipwizards) to re-optimise the mappings when they are finished. That would be perfect for me personally. Although it won't match the 3.7 + exhaust for speed & power, you can see that from Lee's video - and his reactions from his first drive video. However a rebuild + 3.7 capacity increase + exhaust upgrade is also a lot more expensive.

Just depends what someone wants - nice to have the choice :)

Marky911 said:
I'm still yet to get mine down to CG but I will. I want to get mine as nice as possible for road use. I need to discuss spring rates with Chris first. I'm thinking 60/100, f/r.
Yes definitely give Chris and Holly a call to discuss beforehand. They can give much better advice once they know your personal requirements :thumb:

Mines same colour combo and also has the Porsche lowering kit fitted. Mine has litronic headlights. I've had it about 8 years now and still get a massive grin taking it for a blast over the tops. 😬

Attachments

• c4ce68a1_ee60_4e19_8334_54a1c0903514_213.jpeg
    c4ce68a1_ee60_4e19_8334_54a1c0903514_213.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 672
  • c4ce68a1_ee60_4e19_8334_54a1c0903514_213.jpeg
    c4ce68a1_ee60_4e19_8334_54a1c0903514_213.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 672
MMT said:
Mines same colour combo and also has the Porsche lowering kit fitted. Mine has litronic headlights. I've had it about 8 years now and still get a massive grin taking it for a blast over the tops. 😬

I like your wheels too - these are my other favourites alongside mine and Fuchs. Look great :thumb:

Sadly my beloved 996 has been sold today. This car will be very missed. Over the last few years it's steadily become the best driving car I've had in my life, and it's become an old best friend.

Thanks so much to Chris, Holly & Pete at Center Gravity, and Iain & Andy at Precision Porsche. You have all been amazing helping me with my obsession to make this my perfect car. We did it!

This car is now back with Luke @FriendsGreenPorsche to find its next custodian. Luke is a great person to deal with. Always a pleasure.

Why the sale? Basically I've taken on another project car with my 911E, I bought another 996 (my GT3, trading for my GTS) - and simply it became increasingly difficult to justify at home. Something had to give, and this car plus my Eunos (my long term other best friend) had to make way.

I get too attached to my cars according to my wife - and it's healthily to let go. Doesn't feel like it at the moment though! On positive side she likes the 911E and I'm selling her the idea of a Boxster. So at least there's a small spark of interest in Porsches (but she really doesn't like 996's - some people have no taste) 😂

Note: Luke will be swapping the bespoke CG suspension for Koni Actives prior to sale, and potentially reversing some of my other changes.

That's the last update on this thread. Hope it was useful for others. I will still keep my 996-love alive with my GT3 so it's not all bad 😀

Hope you get some track days booked in for 996 GT3 - sounds lovely. Be interesting to see how much FGP put your lovely C2 up for :drive:

Parting with yrs too Toby - didn't expect that.
Still, like you say you're still keeping the 996 love alive with the ultimate model - the gt3 :worship:
Lucky man

Can't wait to see pics :thumbs:
Congratulations!!!

Thanks guys. As requested, here's some photos of my GT3 outside Paragon where I bought it.

Atlas Grey is notoriously difficult to capture on camera as often looks almost black, so I've included photo in good light from their showroom to show how it looks in the sun (when we finally get some!)

Attachments

• 2023_04_10_11_37_27_182.jpg
    2023_04_10_11_37_27_182.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 2023_04_10_11_35_37_103.jpg
    2023_04_10_11_35_37_103.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 207
  • 2023_04_10_11_41_56_132.jpg
    2023_04_10_11_41_56_132.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 207
Sad to see your time with the C2 has come to an end, I had enjoyed reading your journey and multiple trips to CG to get the suspension to meet you specific requirements.

On the subject of suspension, do you have any idea why FGP are swapping the CG kit out for a Koni setup?

Hopefully there will be another thread started on the GT3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back