Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Moisture in rear light clusters

smbc81

Hi all,

I've recently purchsed a 2010 Carrera 2S and very new to the Porsche game so please be nice :)

When indicating, I have noticed that I occasionally am asked to check left indicator. On investigating I can clearly see moisture in both rear light clusters. Also did a check of brake lights and they either flicker or do not illuminate.

Is there anything I can do to rectify or do they need replacing?

Thanks

Its a flaw in the design on the 997.2 rear lights , very common issue , depending on how far gone they are you can remove them and you will see a small round sticker on the underside bit like a corn plaster , remove it and expose a hole this will allow the light cluster to get air in which will reduce the condensation build up . but if water has already damaged the curcuitry then you may need to replace , but worth a go to see how it goes. if you replace them I would certainly consider removing the round sticker before fitting to stop it happening again on the new ones. :thumb:

Had this happen on one of my lenses and Porsche changed it under warranty. Hope you're covered !! :thumb:

The later lights don't have this problem. You might find even with holes drilled you still have a problem. It depends on the size of the gap between the red part and the white centre plastic.

Mine have just started to mist up - I've already removed the stickers underneath. Fortunately mine do dry out.

My plan is to get a clear wrap over the exterior before the clear and red parts go their separate ways.

SMBC I would remove them (very carefully!), get the stickers off the bottom, get a hair dryer on them (or in airing cupboard if you have one).

The join between the red and clear plastic is the area of weakness. Solutions I am aware of are clear silicon sealant along the joint, or a clear wrap.

IIRC new lamps are big bucks. Good luck

It did cross my mind to use the airing cupboard. I will have a go this weekend.

Thanks for the advice

James M-S said:
Mine have just started to mist up - I've already removed the stickers underneath. Fortunately mine do dry out.

My plan is to get a clear wrap over the exterior before the clear and red parts go their separate ways.

SMBC I would remove them (very carefully!), get the stickers off the bottom, get a hair dryer on them (or in airing cupboard if you have one).

The join between the red and clear plastic is the area of weakness. Solutions I am aware of are clear silicon sealant along the joint, or a clear wrap.

IIRC new lamps are big bucks. Good luck

Worse when tail lights are on. Left indicator stops working in the rear cluster, brake light illuminates for a split second and then goes out. On the right cluster, brake light not as bright as it should be.

Will attempt to dry them out and remove the sticker.

Thanks again

Phil 997 said:
Its a flaw in the design on the 997.2 rear lights , very common issue , depending on how far gone they are you can remove them and you will see a small round sticker on the underside bit like a corn plaster , remove it and expose a hole this will allow the light cluster to get air in which will reduce the condensation build up . but if water has already damaged the curcuitry then you may need to replace , but worth a go to see how it goes. if you replace them I would certainly consider removing the round sticker before fitting to stop it happening again on the new ones. :thumb:

This is a known issue, as the white lens splits from the red lens, and allows water and dust into the cluster.

I've removed mine three or four times now, I've removed the stickers and enlarged the ventilation holes, and I've pulled them apart so that they can dry properly, but there's a residue of dust and very fine sand in there now as well.

Which is really annoying. :nooo:

I had exactly that issue; one of mine had quite a bit of water collected in the bottom with the other having condensation.

Initially, I removed the back of each light to remove water and left to dry in the airing cupboard. I removed the stickers to give some air-flow and added a couple of extra holes. Its a bit of a fiddle getting back together as the seal is a pain to seat back properly.

After replacing, I still found condensation building up on one side (the other side was fine) and presumed that the red/clear plastics had begun to separate. Next, I removed etc. as before. I "channelled" out a fine grove around red part of lens using a fine stone in a Dremel and "filled" this with a clear epoxy glue using a cocktail stick. Once set hard I then sanded (very fine) and polished the repair with the kind of plastic polish used on headlights; the repair was invisible.

This repair lasted 4 years and I had no condensation for ages. However, the problem did recur on the one I "repaired" and in the end I bit the bullet and replaced both rear lenses. The replacements have a revision no of 05 compared to my originals which were 01. Clearly, Porsche made some changes to the design and/or materials over the years.

I now exercise care using a pressure washer on these lenses.

Just removed the lights and both contained a lot of water.

I've drained using "that hole" and will place in airing cupboard for a few days to dry out.

Hope they aren't damaged inside otherwise its a trip to Porsche!

Thank you for your help

m1kegibson said:
I had exactly that issue; one of mine had quite a bit of water collected in the bottom with the other having condensation.

Initially, I removed the back of each light to remove water and left to dry in the airing cupboard. I removed the stickers to give some air-flow and added a couple of extra holes. Its a bit of a fiddle getting back together as the seal is a pain to seat back properly.

After replacing, I still found condensation building up on one side (the other side was fine) and presumed that the red/clear plastics had begun to separate. Next, I removed etc. as before. I "channelled" out a fine grove around red part of lens using a fine stone in a Dremel and "filled" this with a clear epoxy glue using a cocktail stick. Once set hard I then sanded (very fine) and polished the repair with the kind of plastic polish used on headlights; the repair was invisible.

This repair lasted 4 years and I had no condensation for ages. However, the problem did recur on the one I "repaired" and in the end I bit the bullet and replaced both rear lenses. The replacements have a revision no of 05 compared to my originals which were 01. Clearly, Porsche made some changes to the design and/or materials over the years.

I now exercise care using a pressure washer on these lenses.

Attachments

• unnamed_547.jpg
    unnamed_547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,437
That is exactly how mine were; full of water. I doubt such a lot of water is the result of condensation build up but the first step is to dry them out and see if it happens again. It might be worth removing the rear cover to ensure they dry out completely; with so little air flow with the back cover on, it could take many days. Removing the back just needs a torx driver of the right size. If you do remove the rear cover, putting it back on can be a pain as the seal is a fiddle. Don't try to dismantle the internals of the cluster; it's impossible.

After a thorough dry out, I suspect everything will work fine again.

Good luck.

Unfortunately as others have mentioned, the clear lens has pushed itself out hence the large amount of water in them.

Looks like a new set might be required.

m1kegibson said:
That is exactly how mine were; full of water. I doubt such a lot of water is the result of condensation build up but the first step is to dry them out and see if it happens again. It might be worth removing the rear cover to ensure they dry out completely; with so little air flow with the back cover on, it could take many days. Removing the back just needs a torx driver of the right size. If you do remove the rear cover, putting it back on can be a pain as the seal is a fiddle. Don't try to dismantle the internals of the cluster; it's impossible.

After a thorough dry out, I suspect everything will work fine again.

Good luck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back