Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Ah yes, I couldn't live with LHD but someone got a good deal there.
I like their C2S. I couldn't stretch to it but I bet it would make sense buying that rather than the Ashgood one and however many thousands to sort it.

Well Mike you've only gone and got me obsessing over this thing. :frustrated: :grin:

https://ignition-classics.com/listing/porsche-911-resto-mod-by-rs-teknik/

Somebody talk me out of it.

I've added it on to our route next Saturday anyway.

On the one hand it's a horrible old bitsa.
Yet on the other it could be made quite cool.
I already know what spec I want it in for collection.

A set of 9 and 11 inch wide Braid Fuchs with balloon tyres, window tints removed obviously, some black Porsche side stripes and engine lid stripe and maybe chrome headlights and door mirrors.

Trying to do this type of thing.

The main glaring issue is the corner profile at rear of sill in front of rear wheel.
It's quite square whereas the RSR ones are more rounded. There's also no circular access point for the rear torsion bars so that needs investigating as if they ever needed upgrading I'd need to be able to get them out.

The 3.2 at 911V is still on the list too. Dr Mark has kindly given me the lowdown on it and it's a good'un.
I have some questions to the sellers of all the cars when I ring up next week to arrange viewings. Depending on the answers I'll hopefully be able to eliminate one or two without the need to go down as our list stands at 5 cars to visit in a day spread over quite a distance.
I'm only trailing down once though so I need to view every car I think I might want.

Anyway like I say talk me out of that bitsa. It reminds me of my first 911 on page one of this thread. Bloody horrible butchered old thing that drove like a big wobbly jelly.
Could the one above be better though. :?:

...Dr. marks car...WOW...

Proper old school 911 with great colour combination...

If I had the space and a £50k to spend I can't think of a nicer drive on a sunny Sunday morning...I wish you hadn't posted that link...I want it ...genuinely do...a fabulous thing that everyone would appreciate...

I'll stop now :D

I must agree that is my favourite car that you have linked to.
I just love the IB 911's and have owned a few.
The box is fine if in good condtion and after 10 miles driving you wont give it a 2nd thought

Yes it's lovely isn't it. Fantastic rebuild by Redtek including pistons and barrels! Not mentioned in the advert.

It is a post '87 so has the G50 box rather than the earlier 915 box, hence the gearchange feels more like a 964 instead of the old soup stirrer. :grin:

So what about the Paul Stephens bitsa? Am I losing my marbles?
I know the answer and a proper model is always better than a made up backdate thing. I do like it though.

The GT3s are coming down. The Autostore black one had £2k knocked off it yesterday. That's our start point next Saturday.

Anyway, off to bed for 3 hours sleep then back to work for 1pm. :sleepy:

I quite like the restomod one. It looks neatly done. Note sure Id pay £50k for one though.
I love mods but I like reversible mods. Saying that this one seems very well done. As with anything like that there is a market just a bit smaller.

Toughy, personally I think Gt3 Mk2. To me that is the sweet spot of that era of 911's.

As the saying goes, there are as many opinions as there are people to hold them. Ultimately the only opinion that matters is that of the owner of the car.

For me the 996.2 GT3 (whilst I know it to be a better car) just isn't as desirable as the 996.1, which makes no sense but is a judgement based on emotion rather than analysis.

If the resto-mod works for Mark then that's all that matters.

I'd be a little scared about what works would be required to re-instate the torsion bar access points, but maybe they just skimmed over them with filler and it's a mind-numbing scraping and sanding job, rather than drilling/cutting/welding.

Not 100% sure, but I think the 'restomod' car was at the Bicester Scramble back in October... IF it is that one, it looked OK from a distance, but not up close.

The things that I noticed on a quick look round were... panel fittment was particualrly poor (gaps and levels), the wheels were too big for the car, and the shape of the rear arches didn't look right. Didn't look any deeper than that.

Assuming it is as nice as it looks/sounds and is totally rot free it would have to be 3.2 at 911V.

Hi lads, thanks for that. I've knocked the PS car off the list. It was quite a detour on an already busy day too.

Hi Raggy, I'm sensing you might not like that car. Cheers though it's what I needed to hear.
Pity though as I'm sure our friendly Indy would have loved me for giving him that to work on. :grin:

Hi Graham, yep overpriced and no mention of engine work or anything.
I'm with you on the GT3 and if I had to bet I'd be putting a bit on that.

Hi Neil, yep I'm not sure what's going on there although I did read you can the torsion bars out without those holes on wide bodied cars.
Irrelevant now as I need to stop looking at daft Frankenstein cars that would be a nightmare to sell on should I need to.
I understand you favouring the Mk1 but I've had one and the only Mk1 in budget is the Parr one which is red like my old one but not a CS so I'd always be comparing it.
Plus there looks to be marks in the lower dash leather, powder coated rims (my pet hate), crappy Pzero Rosso tyres, etc.

I've strangely come around to massively favouring the Mk2 styling for everything bar the rear wing. Sharper and more aggressive.
Plus I've just sold my Mk1 C2 so want a change. :wink:

Hi Will, yep that car but be a resale disaster. Never mind suicide Savanna trim in 996s. A fibreglass bodied bitsa with buckets and harnesses would be a nightmare. :grin:

Hi Stotty, yes you can see from the pics the bonnet panel gaps are awful with the drivers side sitting proud, plus the front bumper looks a bit off under NS light etc.
I'd imagine it's a great example of a 6 footer. Ok from a distance but not up close.

I think I was being optimistic or down right delusional that I may be able to create something resembling that blue car in the picture. :D

Hi g911, well this is the question. Can anyone guarantee there's nothing lurking if the car is original. Who knows.
I'll definitely view it though. There's one main point Mark mentioned and that's that it was still on original suspension when he sold it so if that's still the case there's a big bill straight away for the new owner.
I can only ask the question.

My mate Mark who bought my C2 kindly pointed out that the gear level looks like a camels *****.

So I'll view it and the 993 at Ashgood plus the GT3s.

I look at the old stuff and start to make a mental list of things they haven't got or what I'd want to do, then after I do a big list I realise the answer is a GT3. :grin:

Look into the aircooled car suspension mods to sharpen them up. Hmm, a GT3 is already sharp.

Old ventilation system and no aircon.
Hmm, GT3s cabin is great, air-con'd and user friendly.

Look into making the old cars sing more.
GT3 screams it's lungs out.
Bar at idle and low revs where a 993 trumps it.

Consider possible engine issues in future due to mileage (Dr Marks excluded of course).
GT3s have 40-60k on and are barely run in.

Consider making interior more focussed.
GT3 already is.

So the answer always ends up being GT3.

But then if it's a keeper forever, the air cooleds win on looks, charisma, noise in some ways, feel, nostalgia (they remind me of being a happy 80's kid with my whole life ahead of me :) ).

So we'll see. I'm quite enjoying the search and not having to rush as nothing is selling.
I do want to get out and physically see some cars though so roll on next week.

In the mean time we've just ordered a new Abarth for Mrs Marky. It's the Competizione so better spec and 180bhp. I remember seeing Cosworths when I was a school kid and thinking they were rocket ships. 204bhp they were. Now you get 180bhp in a standard shopping car that weighs the same as a crisp packet. :D

Anyway thanks for all your thoughts lads. Just ignore me if I get a bit self indulgent. I like to know your thoughts though and it lets me know if my taste becomes questionable.
I can't wait for next Saturday. I'm hoping one car stands out and decides it for me.

I hope my mate Mark doesn't want to continue this thread on the C2 mind, as it's become the 'Markys car shopping thread". :grin:

PS Chris Harris prefers the Mk2. I probably commented at the time when I was a bonafide Mk1 fan boy. :wink:

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/tell-me-im-wrong-porsche-911-996-gt3/26071

Hi Russ,
Yep cheers. :thumb:
Most my mates do to and that's the general favourite. Some of my mates are purely in it for the driving though, others for a pain free, no money loss experience, hence new GT3s and things. I'm in it for the driving and the tinkering. A car has to stir some emotion to keep me interested.

GT3s do but aircooled do more. But like I say the answer to 90% of my needs is GT3. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back