Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Koni Special Active Dampers for a 996 C4?

I’d really appreciate an update in a few months, thanks. There doesn’t seem to be much out there in terms of long-term ride reports on these shocks fitted to Porsches.
Agree
A lot of data on Bilstein, KW, etc

Springs play a part of the shocks are the main factor in a car’s ride

Has anyone tried these on a 4s yet?
Apart from the exrtra weight at the front I'd guess there can be little difference to the C2 experiences.

I would say though that the spring rates do matter as they can stop the shocks from working if they are too strong/weak, this is born out by the guys who have done extensive testing on e.g. Ohlins coilovers, the big disciussion there is spring rates rather than damping settings and it is no different for non coilover shocks.

That's definately correct, I think e.g. Bilstein B8s are for lower springs as they have shorter bodies. Still, works very well on mine and others.
I don't think this is the main reason. A stiffer spring requires a stiffer shock. They ideally need to be matched. Yes there is some wiggle room but if you're buying fixed shocks there is no adjustment. So if you are buying shocks designed for standard springs yes they will have been designed for standard ride height and travel but most importantly the stiffness of the standard springs. If you use shocks designed for standard springs and then use shorter springs or lowered springs we have to assume these are stiffer - otherwise the car or suspension would hit it's bump stops constantly. So you therefore have stiffer springs with shocks designed for softer springs. Surely this may be a mismatch or less than ideal. So generally using stiffer springs is better with shocks designed for stiffer springs. And vice versa.

I don't think this is the main reason. A stiffer spring requires a stiffer shock.

Perhaps but it depends whether you are talking abour rebound or compression, "stiffer dampers" is way too simplistic, also shocks are designed to operate over a range of movement, there is a reason why shorter springs in OEM have shorter dampers.

Perhaps but it depends whether you are talking abour rebound or compression, "stiffer dampers" is way too simplistic, also shocks are designed to operate over a range of movement, there is a reason why shorter springs in OEM have shorter dampers.
I'm not an expert. Just saying springs need to be matched to shocks. You can't just go pairing any springs with any shocks willy nilly.

I fitted the Koni SAD and H&R lowering springs one my previous C2 back in 2019 (I did post about it back then on here). They were fairly untested and new back then but I did decide to take the plunge. Compared to the M030 which the car was originally on, the Koni was a huge improvement. Much less crashy, far more planted and just a much nicer and more direct car to drive. I did this after having replaced all four tyres, geo and complete replacement of all front and rear suspension components. The biggest and most noticeable improvement by a long way was the new dampers.

I’ll be doing the same on the new C2 which arrived last week!

I fitted the Koni SAD and H&R lowering springs one my previous C2 back in 2019 (I did post about it back then on here). They were fairly untested and new back then but I did decide to take the plunge. Compared to the M030 which the car was originally on, the Koni was a huge improvement. Much less crashy, far more planted and just a much nicer and more direct car to drive. I did this after having replaced all four tyres, geo and complete replacement of all front and rear suspension components. The biggest and most noticeable improvement by a long way was the new dampers.

I’ll be doing the same on the new C2 which arrived last week!
Best thing I did on my c4 even the indy that fitted it said he was surprised at the difference

I converted my C4 to RWD, including C2 uprights/wheel carriers, but have gone from M030, to Bilstein, to regular suspension and now have Koni and H&R, they are perfect for the road, firm as M030 nearly but comfier than stock.
They just work.

I'm genuinely blown away.

I have gone with agressive rear camber, with a fair bit of toe in then not very much front camber at all with a smidge of toe in.
This is very neutral, back end extremely planted, steering weight nice and heavy but positive, doesn't chase cambers at all, just lovely.

It would be no good on a track with that geo as you would want the back end to kick out more, but for the road it is very, very confidence inspiring.

I love it.

I converted my C4 to RWD, including C2 uprights/wheel carriers, but have gone from M030, to Bilstein, to regular suspension and now have Koni and H&R, they are perfect for the road, firm as M030 nearly but comfier than stock.
They just work.

I'm genuinely blown away.

I have gone with agressive rear camber, with a fair bit of toe in then not very much front camber at all with a smidge of toe in.
This is very neutral, back end extremely planted, steering weight nice and heavy but positive, doesn't chase cambers at all, just lovely.

It would be no good on a track with that geo as you would want the back end to kick out more, but for the road it is very, very confidence inspiring.

I love it.

Would be interested to hear which Bilsteins you tried and how they compared to the Koni?(y)

Just about to put B8 on my Turbo with H&R springs...

I put the M030 B4 dampers on mine.

I actually ordered the B6 originally, however, someone else mentioned they had used those and found them far too firm and swapped for B4 and preferred them.
I spoke to Bilstein and they said the B4 M030 was roughly 15% firmer than the C4 M030 and the B6 was roughly 20% firmer again. I swapped the B6's I had bought for B4.

However, I just found the rear was still far too firm, fine at higher speeds but below 30 even 40mph it just jiggled around too much and was not nice. I went to standard Porsche suspension, non m030 after that for a while.
I do think that maybe the monotube B6/8 might have had more control and just felt better.

I thought the rear end was so firm because all the bushes were old etc. I thought once all the new arms and dampers were fitted it would be firm, but compliant. It wasn't, it was just firmer.

It was only due to the top strut nut being seized when replacing top mounts that that I decided I might as well try the Konis, all 4 for the same price as 2 front Porsche dampers.
Plus I had the H&R springs sat there, I thought I would try them, but presumed it would be too low and too firm again and would put the standard springs back in. It is perfect imho.

I just thought, the only reason I didn't go with the Konis originally was they didn't offer them for the C4, not the fronts anyway, however, they do now.

Not sure where in Essex you are, but if you want to meet up and have a drive of mine before making a final decision you're more than welcome. I'm in Norfolk, but could come and meet somewhere if it would help?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back