Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Keeping the old CD changer

jay121

Trainee
So now that I've got a few of the small issues sorted that I had with the car when I got it I'm now looking to make some improvements.

First on my list is to install a new headunit. I've been using an fm transmitter so far which has actually work much better than expected but I'd like to have something integrated into the car. I've been trying to decide between a continental single din unit and a more flashy carplay double din. I'm not a massive fan of making things look 'non-stock' but needs must. I'm leaning towards a double din seeing as I have a pcm 1 double din there now.

My question is has anyone managed to retain use of their factory CD changer with a new head unit? I know I can fit more songs on a usb that 100 CDs but I like the nostalgia factor I guess and I also like CDs.

If you've changed your head unit recently let me know how you got on? Mine's an early bose so I think a connects 2 harness should be all I need but I'm not sure..

recently changed my head unit for a kenwood 8019. The CD changer is still in the car but disconnected.

with wireless Apple carplay and wireless android mirroring, DAB, Spotify, amazon music and tunein plus 2 USB ports I couldn't see any need for it.

Probably not what you want to hear but personally i wouldn't get too hung up on retaining access to 6 CD discs.

Took the opportunity to swap out the CD holder for a more useful cubby hole too.

I would comment thus:

1. When you fit a new head unit (mainstream manufacturer or fraction-of-the-price Chinese, as I did) you will not be able to access your CD multi changer since it is in the optical loop and the HU will probably not understand it.

2. Once you have Apple CarPlay (wireless preferably) or Android equiv (not available wirelessly at the mo AFAIK) you will never look back and will not play another CD again in the car. The difference is night and day.

3. If you have a 996 (I have a 997 so not eligible) you can get a much more modern piece of kit from Porsche for about £1000 - which is what you'll spend if you put a mainstream unit in. The Porsche part is designed to be plug and play and appears, in the advertising, to do everything other modern units can. I have never seen it but thats how its advertised. It may be able to access your CD player as well, I suppose?

Good luck, you won't look back.

Rich

Thanks both. I have car play in my Ford Focus and I agree I can listen to any song under the sun at the touch of a button it's something about the nostalgia of it.. anyway Rich I'd be interested to know how you got on with the Chinese head unit was it one off eBay I hear a lot of mixed reviews

I had no problems with mine. I wrote it up about half way down this thread;

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1154248-cheap-android-head-unit-review.html

For the same price as the harness I got a unit with fascia that fits the aperture (it's not square), a built-in harness (almost plug and play but the Bose converter needed 3 wires crimping), an up to date unit with 5 USB ports.

I also bought a TPMS to go with it but would not do so again.

If you want to go down this route I am happy to chat about it. I had no problems but I am aware that others have. Mostly these have been overcome but the unit is a DIY job, not 'pay-a-man-and-it-works-perfectly'.

Rich

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back