Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jacking a 997.2 from the centre rear ( not the sides)

Targatwos

Hi everyone, I want to jack up the rear of my 2011 model 997.2, I know everyone says " Ohhh should only be from the side jacking points" but I've been to various garages where they are jacked off the floor from the centre rear of the car, also Porsche Rennlist have an article on jacking from the dead centre of the car on an engine bracket, but I can't access their link? anybody done this or know another way to jack from centre ? Many Thanks :?:

If you mean the engine carrier, then no, it will bend/warp. It's a lateral load component, not a point load part. The engine mounts can be found in the rear of the engine bay, left and right, with the engine lid open. Nothing to jack here.

What you may be referring to are the suspension junction points; these are safe to jack from. I'd recommend a good concave jack plate.

I want the jack to sit in the rear middle of the car so it's level, not one side raised and the other lower, if that makes sense ?

I've made up wooden blocks that go under the suspension joint on the sub frame. I jack up one side and put the block under the sub frame and then bjackup the other side and do the same.

The reason I wish to jack from the centre rear is because I live in an apartment complex with underground garaging / power and light etc: trouble is the Porsche fits with space to spare at the front and rear but virtually none at the sides, certainly not enough to slide two low profile jacks under with long reach handles protruding, whilst still having room to jack either side in order to put put axle stands under, can't roll it outside as that then encroaches on the drive past area to the exit ramp ...... hence the question "Can I use single jack to raise in the middle rear area" THEN put axle stands under either side ? makes more sense if you saw my parking / garage predicament ...... :nooo:

A jacking beam is what you need, they're commonly used on ramps with a ramp jack. You'll need to raise the vehicle in order to get your jack under the beam, which is either drive on to blocks of wood or buy a pair of mini ramps.

Amazon have:

Jacking Beam

Slotted pucks may also be a good idea.

Low Ramp

The steel framed ramps look a bit Astra MK2. These will give you only 8cm / 3 inches height, which might be enough with the jack plate removed.

Have you considered renting a ramp? Ask around, as there may be one close to you. They're only around £20 to £30 per hour and usually include banter and tea :dont know:

Thanks "Plavix" yes, that's exactly what I need, a jacking beam ! great price at Amazon too ...... I did try the hourly "Ramp Hire" route but none anywhere near me down here in Poole Dorset, I'll be buying the beam. :thumb:

plavix said:
A jacking beam is what you need, they're commonly used on ramps with a ramp jack. You'll need to raise the vehicle in order to get your jack under the beam, which is either drive on to blocks of wood or buy a pair of mini ramps.

Amazon have:

Jacking Beam

Slotted pucks may also be a good idea.

Low Ramp

The steel framed ramps look a bit Astra MK2. These will give you only 8cm / 3 inches height, which might be enough with the jack plate removed.

Have you considered renting a ramp? Ask around, as there may be one close to you. They're only around £20 to £30 per hour and usually include banter and tea :dont know:

That jacking beam is available on eBay with free postage. :thumb:

Thanks ..... Yes, I saw that, Free postage etc on Ebay :thumb:

Last year I toyed with the idea of buying a lifting beam for the 993. The intention being to use the car’s lifting points so I could raise one side of the car and, say, remove both wheels on that side. I’d already got a number of pads that fitted the chassis.

As memory serves, I looked at a number of beams including those mentioned in the post and one from SGS. I’m not sure now that any of the beams extended enough for the use I wanted so never proceeded.

One thing that was highlighted was that the mounting spigots for the beams were too big to fit any of the four trolley jacks I have. I could have bought another jack (from SGS) that would accommodate the beams but couldn’t really justify an extra £100 or so and have another jack to store.

The beams and jacks are made of stern stuff so modification (for me, using only hand tools) was not an option and I was also concerned about potentially compromising the integrity of the beam should I reduce the spigot size.

I guess if you intend using a beam across the width of the car the extended size will not be such an issue but do bear in mind the mounting, unless you are going to buy a new jack or intend using one you currently have in the man-cave.

Check before you buy!

*****, good point Les!

I don't have my car, so can't measure the distance between the two rear points. The Internet from the USA reckons it's approximately 50". Which I think means inches, which is 1270mm.

That beam won't work as I've just checked it only extends to 820mm! Apologies in advance :eek:

No worries It's okay, I checked first, the mounting hole diameter on my low level jack is wrong, I've found another solution, thanks anyway. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back