Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's that time - Winter tyres

Indischrot

Spa-Francorchamps
Winter is coming.

Please could I get some opinions on decent winter tyres for my 18's? I try to avoid the snow but definitely needed for wet and colder conditions.

Size recommendations also appreciated too.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
In the past, have successfully run winter tyres on a 997.2 as a daily drive (the tyres may have been Nokian).

Think the tyre sizes on genuine 18" Porsche rims are 235/40R18 and 265/40R18 for a 997,2 C2S. Rim offsets are attached. Continental Winter Contact TS810S may be the approved tyre.

Currently, have 18" Pirelli SottoZero Serie II tyres on my Cayman. Great in the wet. No experience yet in low temperatures.

Attachments

• 18 inch rims.JPG
    18 inch rims.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 997 winter rubber.JPG
    997 winter rubber.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
As above, those offsets work on a narrow body car and 18's.

It's not quite ready for winters yet down south, but will be soon. I have some continential tyres which were night and day in the snow... That said, any decent brand will work from what I can see. You'll lose the steering feel and taughtness regardless so it's not so much about outright performance, but staying on the road!

In the past, have successfully run winter tyres on a 997.2 as a daily drive (the tyres may have been Nokian).

Think the tyre sizes on genuine 18" Porsche rims are 235/40R18 and 265/40R18 for a 997,2 C2S. Rim offsets are attached. Continental Winter Contact TS810S may be the approved tyre.

Currently, have 18" Pirelli SottoZero Serie II tyres on my Cayman. Great in the wet. No experience yet in low temperatures.
thinking of doing the same, where did you source them ?

If you have a 997 C4 or C4S, here are the official recommendations.

Attachments

• winter rubber 997 c4 and c4S.JPG
    winter rubber 997 c4 and c4S.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 11
thinking of doing the same, where did you source them ?
OPC couldn't help me as they said winter tyres were difficult to get for a 981.
So got my Cayman Pirelli SottoZero Serie II form https://www.mytyres.co.uk/. £965 delivered.
Even though this is a UK website, in practice the tyres come from a central depot in Germany.
They said it would take 10 days and it did. Full proof of delivery to my house. Impeccable service, and all tyres fresh (manufactured Wk 28/2023).
Then got a local garage to fit them (and for some strange reason they only charged £28 for all 4 including balancing).
Only issue that I have had is not the tyres, but the 18" TPMS sensors looking like they're spent (and the OPC wants £817 to replace them!!).

Last edited:
We have Bridgestone LM005 on both our daily drivers. I've driven on winters for ten years now and for me these are the best I've tried. Would recommend if you can get them in the required size.

I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta7s in 235/295 widths on 19s (9972 C4S).

I'd suggest early ordering as the rears can be hard to find at the last minute; Nokian are made here in Finland and they're still hard to find!

I have the run the sottozeros on my 19" c4gts coming up for the third winter, night and day compared to summer tyres in cold conditions even when it's not freezing or snow the grip is way better. I also got them shipped from Germany by mytyres

I have the run the sottozeros on my 19" c4gts coming up for the third winter, night and day compared to summer tyres in cold conditions even when it's not freezing or snow the grip is way better. I also got them shipped from Germany by mytyres
Yes, agree - the SottoZero tyres are an absolute revelation in these dirty, cold winter months. (y)

I found Vredestein Wintrac Extremes were very good for a rear engine car in the snow, perhaps for a bit less £ than some of the other brands.

I found Vredestein Wintrac Extremes were very good for a rear engine car in the snow, perhaps for a bit less £ than some of the other brands.
Have used the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on my Wife's Honda Jazz and they were brilliant.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back