Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it Spring yet ?

isysman said:
I know not to under estimate salt water. That's why cars in dry climates last longer without rusting.

Now you know that isn't true. Cars last longer in drier climates because they don't get as wet as ones in wet climates and don't rust as much. It has nothing to do with salt water.

Today was a bit dicey i must admit

Attachments

• 964_106.jpg
    964_106.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4,316
:bow:

alex yates said:
isysman said:
I know not to under estimate salt water. That's why cars in dry climates last longer without rusting.

Now you know that isn't true. Cars last longer in drier climates because they don't get as wet as ones in wet climates and don't rust as much. It has nothing to do with salt water.

That's what I said. Cars in dry climates last longer as they don't rust. So are you saying that salt water doesn't speed up rust on metal? If you're saying that then a little research might be a good idea sir.

No, salt corodes metal quicker, but you were comparing cars in dryer climates lasting longer than cars in wet climates, which has zilch to do with salt corrosion.

It's not just the salt on the roads, it's coming down the Motorway and passing a gritter that's spreading it's load at 50 mph, the sound of it hitting your car makes you want to pull over on the hard shoulder and weep!
As far as I'm aware my cars never been out in Winter and when it was up on the ramp for it's MOT I had a good look around and it still looks immaculate, no corrosion anywhere and that includes the nuts and bolts and the alloy parts as well.
Salt is so corrosive, I worked offshore and everything rusts, hot weather, cold weather makes no difference. Once the salt gets in it's done for!

alex yates said:
No, salt corodes metal quicker, but you were comparing cars in dryer climates lasting longer than cars in wet climates, which has zilch to do with salt corrosion.

Again that's incorrect. Any country that puts salt down on the road because of snow is covering cars that drive in it with salt water, this speeds up corrosion on metal. So cars rust quicker in those countries.

Agreed - but working at sea, that's subjected to salt 24/7 all year. If I submerged my car under water, for 24/7 all year.....if it lasted that long.....it'd resemble the Titanic, but I don't drive home and lock my car in the garage at the slightest sign of rain.

Some people are just too binary with their thinking.

I do cringe, slow down and almost monut the pavement when a gritter's coming the other way, but that's only once every blue moon.

isysman said:
alex yates said:

Again that's incorrect. Any country that puts salt down on the road because of snow is covering cars that drive in it with salt water, this speeds up corrosion on metal. So cars rust quicker in those countries.

Agreed, but you said countries with dryer climates. Don't they have Ice on the roads in winter?

Mine is going in next week for a service and inspection to see how rusty it is underneath , i drive through every winter so it will be interesting to find out what its like .
They will rust no matter what you do, at the end of the day it comes down to resale value , that's what stops people using them in the winter , a fine and sensible reason not to drive but for me life really is to short to give a f..k about rust or resale value ... i dont believe in a after life of any sort so i am making the most of this one :thumb:

+1.

I'll get 100% of fun and enjoyment out of mine, not 50%......and I bet I'm not 50% worse off when I sell it.

KP964 said:
...but for me life really is to short to give a f..k about rust or resale value ... i dont believe in a after life of any sort so i am making the most of this one :thumb:

:agree:

:thumb:

alex yates said:
isysman said:
alex yates said:

Agreed, but you said countries with dryer climates. Don't they have Ice on the roads in winter?

Dry climates don't get ice as they have mild weather during winter. Countries closer to the equator don't get snow. I'm in Peru right now and even though it's further from the equator my lady tells me it 'never rains' here. Summers are in high 20s and winter in height teens/low 20s.

How come Paddington wears wellies then?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back