Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a 997 a sensible daily drive?

I actually find it a bit uncomfortable, in terms of seating and my knee being close to the wheel.. Forever changing the seating position but I don't use it daily so it's OK. I don't have the same issue in anything else so I'm putting it down to the car. :dont know:

I like the sound of the 83k miler black car. It looks well cherished with OPC warranty.

My only thought would be as a daily adding the miles will be a concern to buyers when you come to sell it. You could polish a turd in the UK and as long as the odometer gave a low mileage buyers would still want it :roll:

Zingari said:
My only thought would be as a daily adding the miles will be a concern to buyers when you come to sell it. You could polish a turd in the UK and as long as the odometer gave a low mileage buyers would still want it :roll:

This, completely. Everyone on here says "buy on condition not mileage" but I don't think Joe Public looks at it that way. By all means use your 911 as a daily driver, but be aware that if you buy a low mileage car and then daily it, you'll pay a heavy price as the resale value plummets. Not to mention the mess that UK winter roads makes of these lovely cars.

Others will disagree, but my advice is this: either buy a low priced high mileage example and drive the wheels off it, or buy a low mileage minter and use it as an occasional treat.

I think having a car like a 911 and only using it as an 'occasional treat' purely because you're trying to retain value for resale is madness tbh, if you can't afford to take a few grand hit so have to avoid enjoying it then what's the point in having one?

Sod the resale value, regardless of how many miles you put on it it'll still loose less than the vast majority of cars on the road.

The 997 is a cracking daily driver. I used mine daily for the last 3.5 years and covered 50,000 miles in it, sun, snow & rain. Even did 5 hours in one day driving in it earlier in the year.

I think if you are a large chap, then car can become uncomfortable after a time; I use mine in between 3 other vehicles and that is the first thing I notice. Fortunately I use mine for fun so don't let it worry me too much
Fab car the 997.

rabbitstew said:
The 997 is a cracking daily driver. I used mine daily for the last 3.5 years and covered 50,000 miles in it, sun, snow & rain. Even did 5 hours in one day driving in it earlier in the year.

:yeah: These cars a great dailies. I did 20k last year and the car has been fab (started on 43k now on 63k). BUT these cars are getting on a bit now and will need certain long life inspections/repairs to keep in fine fettle. Still an everyday super-car though.

rabbitstew said:

It's a great car, more than comfortable and very competent. I once did a track day with the Porsche club, and it was 4 hours each way. Plus the time on the track in DE and in open track. The car didn't miss a beat.

MaxA said:
rabbitstew said:

It's a great car, more than comfortable and very competent. I once did a track day with the Porsche club, and it was 4 hours each way. Plus the time on the track in DE and in open track. The car didn't miss a beat.

Awesome. Plus I find the feeling when you walk out of your office, and see your 997 sitting in the car park is awesome. Not to mention the feeling when you start her up & drive off. Makes going to work more bearable.

Mines a daily driver, it's actually a effective family car.

Kids jump in the back and on the Targa the rear window pops open and you can get the seats down for loads of space.

here's a load I had to haul to Fedex

AkCCncU.jpg

Just turned 92,000 miles in 997 and owned for approaching 13 to 14 years since buying new in 2007. I struggle to let go of the 997 even after all this time and with the added allure of the latest exotic supercars currently available on spectacular deals. I like the relative ease of ownership/low running costs. £25k-£35k for a good condition 997 C4S hard to walk past but if buying today I'd chuck a few more quid in and buy an M2 or used Alfa Guilia QF. If only one car sure not as special as a 911 but they will have all the latest tech which really makes town and commute type driving far easier. You won't be short changed with a C4S though on those early morning runs and it will always feel a bit special being a 911.

Attachments

• img_3670_452.jpg
    img_3670_452.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 1,437
rabbitstew said:
MaxA said:
rabbitstew said:

Awesome. Plus I find the feeling when you walk out of your office, and see your 997 sitting in the car park is awesome. Not to mention the feeling when you start her up & drive off. Makes going to work more bearable.

Agreed. Always a happy moment to fire up the 997 in the office car park (especially as mine is underground!).

Well I've arranged to see a few cars over the next week or so, so we'll see how things go. Although the roads here are more like rivers just now, so maybe I should be looking at a new boat instead!

Well after viewing a few cars of both 996 band 997 variety, I ended up getting a lovely 997 C4S yesterday.

Just driven it back to Scotland from the south of England, so a nice 600 odd mile drive to get to know it. Have to say I am very impressed so far, it was very comfy for the motorway cruise and handled the country roads very well too! (only to be expected I suppose!)

I am looking forward to getting to know it properly over the coming months, but first impressions are very good!

Congratulations. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back