Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage engines

I guess over the next few years if 996s slowly appreciate in value the cost of a rebuild for someone who bought nearer the bottom of the curve will mean that in resale terms a rebuild isn't quite the financial blow if otherwise would be.

What do people do with old Boxsters that need a rebuild out of interest?

My 2p

Lets say you bought a good 996 (15-18k) with 75,000 miles on it. You then over the first year spend another 3-5 k on getting it tip top which many do. Then spend a few quid each year on general running costs. By 100,000 miles (5 years ownership for many) you are into the car for probably 22-23k.

At this point you have a choice.

Do no more than continue to look after it and drive it. You could happily get another 10 years with no real trouble!

Sell it for 15-18k (lets say prices stay stable) you have had 5 years of enjoyment for comparatively little money.

Rebuild the engine for total peace of mind. Keep it then for ever and enjoy it. Yes it then owes you over 30k and worth 20k but that's less than the depreciation on pretty much any new car, let alone a fun one.

Life is all about choices and what you are most comfortable with :D

I would never have bought a 996 if aircooled ones hadn't gone mental. Now I find I actually prefer driving it to the aircooled ones I have tried. It's modern enough for there to be few compromises yet old enough to remind you what "feel" was. I'm even becoming fond of how it looks :thumbs:

Imagine how much it would cost to get a 25+ year old aircooled car in tip top condition! They may have increased many times in value but their condition hasn't improved.

X51 996 said:
I guess over the next few years if 996s slowly appreciate in value the cost of a rebuild for someone who bought nearer the bottom of the curve will mean that in resale terms a rebuild isn't quite the financial blow if otherwise would be.

I think they put them on ebay!

X51 996 said:

not sure on boxters but a forum member down here with a dead cayman is planning on dropping an LS3 motor in it 480BHP :eek: but thats probably not for the faint hearted or those on a tight budget. :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Nice reply Baz and I had forgotted about the bigger engine option certainly for the 996 and hopefully a 4ltr option for the 997.1 and .2 mmmm wonder what the BHP would be of a 997.2 4ltr Hartech engined car. I must have spent half the cost of a rebuild on bolt on power bits to achieve less than a 4ltr Hartech option would give me. Now thats food for thought for those of us not looking at a broken engine but that are chasing power but dont have the budget for a GT car. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Did someone mention a possible 4ltr option?!?! Now that would seriously tempt me to splash the cash at the 100k point (which isn't that far away). I'm looking an engine refresh rather than forced rebuild (aren't we all) at some point so the 4ltr dangly carrot would probably see my Porker heading over to Baz's place. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
X51 996 said:

not sure on boxters but a forum member down here with a dead cayman is planning on dropping an LS3 motor in it 480BHP :eek: but thats probably not for the faint hearted or those on a tight budget. :grin: :grin:

Have a look on Pistonheads for the Boxster with Audi V6 twin turbo swop. That is reasonably budget but not exactly plug n play!

my guess is they get broken for parts as the value in the car will be in parts :thumb:

FRZ 911 said:
Phil 997 said:
Nice reply Baz and I had forgotted about the bigger engine option certainly for the 996 and hopefully a 4ltr option for the 997.1 and .2 mmmm wonder what the BHP would be of a 997.2 4ltr Hartech engined car. I must have spent half the cost of a rebuild on bolt on power bits to achieve less than a 4ltr Hartech option would give me. Now thats food for thought for those of us not looking at a broken engine but that are chasing power but dont have the budget for a GT car. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Did someone mention a possible 4ltr option?!?! Now that would seriously tempt me to splash the cash at the 100k point (which isn't that far away). I'm looking an engine refresh rather than forced rebuild (aren't we all) at some point so the 4ltr dangly carrot would probably see my Porker heading over to Baz's place. :thumb:

:floor: :floor: its my wish list I dont know if Baz has actually done it YET :grin: :grin:

rdodger said:
My 2p

Lets say you bought a good 996 (15-18k) with 75,000 miles on it. You then over the first year spend another 3-5 k on getting it tip top which many do. Then spend a few quid each year on general running costs. By 100,000 miles (5 years ownership for many) you are into the car for probably 22-23k.

Do no more than continue to look after it and drive it. You could happily get another 10 years with no real trouble!

Sell it for 15-18k (lets say prices stay stable) you have had 5 years of enjoyment for comparatively little money.

Rebuild the engine for total peace of mind. Keep it then for ever and enjoy it. Yes it then owes you over 30k and worth 20k but that's less than the depreciation on pretty much any new car, let alone a fun one.

I would never have bought a 996 if aircooled ones hadn't gone mental. Now I find I actually prefer driving it to the aircooled ones I have tried. It's modern enough for there to be few compromises yet old enough to remind you what "feel" was. I'm even becoming fond of how it looks :thumbs:

Imagine how much it would cost to get a 25+ year old aircooled car in tip top condition! They may have increased many times in value but their condition hasn't improved.

EXCELLENT cup half full answer :thumb: :thumb: thats just how I think as well , funny how we happily accept a drop of 15k in depreciation on our BMWS Mercs ETC but fall apart at the thought that our Porsche thats not dropped in value may cost us 10k to rebuild funny how the mind works :grin: :thumb:

Totally agree with the above. A 996 is never really going to set the world alight but seems to do lots of things quite well. I loved my old 964T but in the end it's value meant I couldn't justify keeping it. A £15-16k 996 is just about cheap enough to own without having to worry about its value but fun enough to drive and reasonably practical in terms of actually going somewhere in it. Even my Mrs will happily drive me home from the pub in it.....
:lol:

Phil 997 said:
rdodger said:
My 2p

EXCELLENT cup half full answer :thumb: :thumb: thats just how I think as well , funny how we happily accept a drop of 15k in depreciation on our BMWS Mercs ETC but fall apart at the thought that our Porsche thats not dropped in value may cost us 10k to rebuild funny how the mind works :grin: :thumb:

Doesn't matter it the cup is half full or half empty, there is still room for more wine!

I had my engine rebuilt at Hartech to a standard but strengthened spec, now I've driven a few 996's albeit 3.4 variations, the cars have all driven well and went well, I may well be biased but the rebuilt engine I have and the way it goes is without shadow of a doubt better than I've driven before. The car picks up well and feels like it has all its bhp/torque back as before the rebuild I didn't think the car was anything brilliant power wise but then after 100k plus miles it must have lost a fair bit over the years so even the standard spec rebuild when I got the car back felt like a massive improvement and I now have piece of mind that the engine is good/strong & built by people that know these things inside out.

In all fairness though, if my oil problem hadn't of cropped up I would still be driving the car probably until it did go bang as I generally don't believe in fixing until it's broken.

bazhart said:
Those of you that seem really offended by this suggestion as to appear angry in your replies simply ignore it and carry on driving your cars. Some of you will get away with it - some of you will not - but none of you will have a rebuilt engine with imporved performance - we all have choices to make and we have no axe to grind.Baz

Baz this thread was not intended in any way to question your view, personally I'm merely interested in trying to ascertain who has any experience with higher mileage engines.

I expect to be knocking on your door for a 3.9 upgrade, the question for me is when and how long do I have to save up!

Mike

rdodger said:
Phil 997 said:
rdodger said:
My 2p

Doesn't matter it the cup is half full or half empty, there is still room for more wine!

:floor: :floor: ah but those that see it as half full will refill it and continue to party those that see it as half empty will drink it and leave :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Years ago I did a similar thing on my 1982 mini it needed one wheel bearing but being high mileage I though I might as well replace two at the same time.

At the time a wheel bearing was say £20 but you could buy a whole mini with MOT for £100 so I was spending quite a bit to future proof the car. Anyway about one week later I crashed the mini and the Insurance dident give me the extra £10 for the wheel bearing

So what happens if you spend that much on an engine and crash next week? I bet the Insurance would would pay out a book price and the money invested future proofing would be lost.

I wasted £10 learn from my mistake and save your money until you need to do the work or you could end up wasting £10k through no
Fault of your own

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back