Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gutted!

Concept

Went to collect my new to me 2016 .2 Turbo S today from a main dealer and ended up rejecting it.

I only saw it in the dark, and freezing temps, and wrongly assumed it would be perfect, as I couldn't check for defects in the paint due to light and frost.

Today was the big day, and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

Having signed all the documents and paid the money, the car was unveiled, and straight away, 3 scratches that could be felt with your nails were found, and a poor smart repair to a bumper leaving a poor finish to the lacquer.

Apologies were made, and they buzzed it round to their prep centre to look at what could be done there and then, resulting in them rubbing 1 of the scratches down too far and removing lacquer and into paint.

This resulted in them saying it would need to come back and have the rear quarter re-lacquered, and the bumper repair sorted, not happy with that I looked closer and discovered the bonnet had been painted badly, resulting in orange peel finish not in keeping with original paintwork.

I have now rejected the car on this basis, but since, the Sales Manager has stated it falls within Porsche spec, so they are happy with it.

I'm sure some would accept it, but this is my 1st Porsche, and I see them as a Halo brand and this a Halo model, and maybe expected too much.

Really disappointed, but I am sure something else will come up.

That's a shame! Good luck with the next one ! :thumb:

Sorry to hear about the problems, and that things didn't work out.

Was it an OPC or some other dealership?

Well, that is a shame indeed.

Bought a 6 year old Cayman from an OPC 18 months ago. Some very minor wear inside consistent with age. Exterior-wise nothing visible on pick-up, and only after a few deep cleaning sessions was I able to detect the smallest of marks which had been well taken care of. So very pleased with the level of OPC prep, and would hope this would be consistent across all OPCs.

Sorry it didn't work out this time round, and hope the right car comes along soon.

Sorry to hear about your experiences OP and hope that you find your dream car soon!

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised: I spent months looking for my 991 and visited six OPC within a 100 mile radius. All bar the last one, had a questionable understanding, of what the word 'immaculate' meant. So disappointing!

Thankfully the folks at Dick Lovett Swindon, had the perfect car and restored my faith - despite being 120 miles away.

Sorry to read of your sad experience. When buying from an OPC my expectations would be to find no such flaws.

Were the car my ideal Porsche or close to it and also a bit of a rarity, some paint scratches would not put me right off as it will have lived a life, and there cant`t be many 2016 Porsches out there that may not have had paint chips repaired on their nose cone and the likes...? Were the car special in that regard I would give them the opportunity to repair it properly.

I do note that you typed that it was apparently within their standards for a pre-owned Porsche, which is disappointing to say the least. I thought it was only the likes of Honest John of Comedy Cars that might say something along the lines of "Well now sir, it is not a new car after all." ???

I had a similar experience buying from an official BMW dealership with a pre-owned guarantee system, as it was a distance sale and all comms relative to the sale were via email at my insistence, they came good.

Horse trading seems not to have changed much over the years no matter how fancy the sales premises..?

Its the right way to reject the car when spending so much money. Needs to be perfect after prep - nice one at RPM by the way 8)

I'd work on the basis there won't be any dealer prep. Some used cars will be better than others, just as that's how they arrived. Hopefully they will give them a wash and vac.

There are probably indies out there that'll paint here and there, but that's not how I prefer to buy used cars.

Good luck with your next attempt.

IMI A said:
Its the right way to reject the car when spending so much money. Needs to be perfect after prep - nice one at RPM by the way 8)

The cabriolet?

Thats the one. £175k list with options - we have one and no less refined than coupe. Two cars in one I'd have one myself over a coupe tbh. Cab turbo s are super rare too. GT3 are mass produced by comparison so the cabs have really good residuals compared to coupe too. Its one of the best 911s I've ever driven ;)

Attachments

• image2_104.jpeg
    image2_104.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,331
That is a beautiful thing, out of my budget and really torn about a cabriolet, one minute I think yeah I could, the next just a straight no.

Concept said:
That is a beautiful thing, out of my budget and really torn about a cabriolet, one minute I think yeah I could, the next just a straight no.

Gutted for you about the condition of the one you went to see. It's a shame that it wasn't up to scratch. Reminds me of an incident I had with my X6 M after it was rear-ended. It went back 3 times to the body shop, on the second attempt they said it was 'a commercially / industry standard acceptable repair' :D - I said well I'm afraid it's not perfect which was how it was before it got damaged and immediately found 3 issues with their repair / paint quality :?

Got sorted on the 3rd and final attempt but it shouldn't have to be such hard work!

Anyway, back to the Cabriolet topic, that's certainly one way of ensuring it doesn't have a rear wiper :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back