Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 lip spoiler (99650598691) on non-aero 996.1

BillyTheCat

First of all, I am sorry if the photos are upside down. I am really cr*p with even the most basic IT things.

I mentioned in another thread yesterday (side decals) that I was fitting a GT3 lip spoiler (part number 99650598691) to the front bumper of my non-aero 996.1. When I fitted it yesterday, I wasn't sure that I liked the way it looked. I am therefore sharing photos to gauge the views of you sage folk. The reason for wanting a lip spoiler was that I will hopefully be fitting a rear wing at dome point (separate thread to follow in due course) and I wanted to give that some balance. Also, as others have mentioned, the standard bumper on the 996.1 is a bit "chinless".
Anyway, fitting the GT3 lip isn't too difficult, it needs some trimming to each of the ends. I used a dremel which worked just fine. Otherwise, the shape of the lip is 90% right for the curvature of the bumper. However, it looks a bit "wavy" to my eye, and doesn't point downward as much as I would like. Also, at each end it comes up against the black plastic side trim on the bumper and this disrupts the lines of the spoiler. The photos show it being held on loosely by some self-tappers, and if I decide to keep it on it will be held on a bit more securely and I will try and get it to fit more snugly to the lines of the bumper. I am not sure about the look so would be grateful for your thoughts. Better with, or better without? Ideally I would like to fit an aero front bumper but don't have wads of cash to buy a new (if someone's selling a second hand one or any other aero bits please PM me!!!).

Attachments

• lip2_404.jpg
    lip2_404.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,878
  • lip1_455.jpg
    lip1_455.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,878
  • lip3_621.jpg
    lip3_621.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,878
  • lip4_150.jpg
    lip4_150.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,878
  • lip5_195.jpg
    lip5_195.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,878
Is that definitely a 996.1 GT3 lip? One of the guys on the Facebook group has the .1 GT3 lip on his non aero Carrera and it looks smaller and a better fit.

Just checked the part number you posted and that is the 996.2 GT3 cup lip. As you've discovered it doesn't look right. The 996.1 GT3 lip is much smaller and actually looks good on a standard Carrera front end.

Nope, that looks a bit wrong from the front and whole heap wrong at the sides! I have seen the gt3 lip on these and as suggested the earlier part number will look spot on.

I've always wondered what this would look like! Is your car on standard suspension? Maybe if it was a touch lower! My car is the same as your but mines allot lower! I think it looks well!

Thanks for the input. Shows the value of a forum. I kind of knew it didn't look right and this has been confirmed.

Paul996 - my car has the Koni shocks and H&R combo so is about 30mm lower than standard. But sitting on ramps and stands in the photos so the sitting height is not obvious.

Will reassess the front end tomorrow. Might go a-hunting on the internet for the correct GT3 lip....

BillyTheCat said:
Thanks for the input. Shows the value of a forum. I kind of knew it didn't look right and this has been confirmed.

Paul996 - my car has the Koni shocks and H&R combo so is about 30mm lower than standard. But sitting on ramps and stands in the photos so the sitting height is not obvious.

Will reassess the front end tomorrow. Might go a-hunting on the internet for the correct GT3 lip....

I knew it looked high! really think sitting off the ramps will look really well!

Had this one on my 996.2.
Definitely the wrong part, the 996.1 is shorter as others have said.

are you in Oz? or you have very sticky tyres and that aero is really working well.

BillyTheCat said:

Thanks for sharing the pictures, its close but as you mention the ends dont sit quite right, sure it could be fine tuned but if as others say this is a gen 2 and there is a gen 1 out there with shorter ends = may be easier!

That is definitely close to what I want mine to look like though....

Steve

UncleP said:
Just checked the part number you posted and that is the 996.2 GT3 cup lip. As you've discovered it doesn't look right. The 996.1 GT3 lip is much smaller and actually looks good on a standard Carrera front end.

Hi there, do you have the part number for 996.1 GT3 lip?

May make our searches quicker - TIA.

Steve

This is what you want. I bought and fitted on to my aero-kitted 996. It's not genuine and it's fibreglass, but fit and finish was good.

Attachments

• cabca08d_93b1_419d_9468_fb4060cc7dc5_125.png
    cabca08d_93b1_419d_9468_fb4060cc7dc5_125.png
    598.1 KB · Views: 1,661
2much said:
UncleP said:

Hi there, do you have the part number for 996.1 GT3 lip?

May make our searches quicker - TIA.

Steve

Part no for Mk.1 - 996 505 986 00

I have one in the post to me :)

I fitted a 1" 'All fit lip' to my standard bumper which after a bit of modding looks the same as the GT3.1 chin spoiler.

Cost £56 and there is enough in the roll to make 2 spoilers, it's flexible, which means I haven't lost my first attempt in several years on my -30mm lowered C2.

I stuck it on making sure that I got the curve correct then used small self tapping screws to double fix it. I used a belt sander to profile the edges to a taper to match a GT3.1.

Also available in 1.5" & 2" depths but I think that would be too much (?)
Provides loads more front end feel and grip :floor: , well at least it gets rid of the standard PU chinless look with a subtle tweak.

I'll try to get around to posting a pic later.

I believe I may have an original mk1 gt3 lip (996 505 986 00) freshly sprayed in black I may be willing to part with?

PM if interested

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back