Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 cylinders and pistons in M96 engine?

Harv

Suzuka
Something I've pondered over the last few weeks.

Could the m96 engine be machined to allow fitting of the gt3 cylinders and Pistons? I've no idea what they are made from but perhaps another option for upgrading?
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Por...%3Aa1a813a01560a787f7a17e5cffffcde4%7Ciid%3A1

I like the fact that they are removable and so if you ever had an issue or they become worn out then they can be swapped.

Perhaps too much work all round to make it viable.....

:?:

Our Hartech Nikasil Alloy replacement cylinders for the M96 engines are technically the same as the GT3 cylinders and fulfil the same function and they will therefore run with any pistons of which only the M96 pistons ill suit the head design and compression ratio.

They can also be removed and replaced individually by us although we never seem to need to do so as they are so reliable (as are GT3 cylinders).

Baz

bazhart said:
Our Hartech Nikasil Alloy replacement cylinders for the M96 engines are technically the same as the GT3 cylinders and fulfil the same function and they will therefore run with any pistons of which only the M96 pistons ill suit the head design and compression ratio.

They can also be removed and replaced individually by us although we never seem to need to do so as they are so reliable (as are GT3 cylinders).

Baz

Can you upgrade a 3.6 m96 to 3.8 or 4.0 when you have the engine apart , is this something that hartech does,

Aren't AutoFarm known for their bore-outs?

I guess the most mental must be Boxster 3.2 to 3.9!

Model Type Capacity Increase Available
986 Boxster 2.5 > 2.8

986 Boxster 2.7 > 3.0

986 Boxster S 3.2 > 3.7 or 3.9 with crank change

996 Carrera 3.4 > 3.7 or 3.9 with crank change

996 Carrera 3.6 > 3.9

996 GT3 3.6 > 3.9

987 Boxster 2.7 > 3.0

987 Boxster S 3.4 > 3.7 or 3.9 with crank change

987 Cayman 2.7 > 3.0

987 Cayman S 3.4 > 3.7 or 3.9 with crank change

997 Carrera 3.6 > 3.9

markv8 said:
bazhart said:

Baz

Can you upgrade a 3.6 m96 to 3.8 or 4.0 when you have the engine apart , is this something that hartech does,

I enquirer when they rebuilt mine. Perfectly possible but they wouldn't recommend doing so. I'm sure Baz will explain why rather than my half remembered reason.

Although you can make a 3.2 into a much larger engine (say 3.9) there are technical limits to how much you should increase the original engine capacity before you need to also change such things as the whole inlet and exhaust system and then issues like cooling and brake performance, tyre sizes etc can also become a worry and in the end it would probably cost as much or more than simply buying a car that was designed with a bigger engine in the first place.

If we were developing oversized engines we could apply them to M96/97 from 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.8 engines but would probably find the best increase all round would be around 10%. This would increase responsiveness, torque and acceleration and feel more than a 10% increase but a greater increase would probably be less drivable and cause more problems than it was worth.

If we did ever decide to try this we would be testing for some considerable time before making them available and then only if the tests all went well - hence our reply that such a change would not be recommended at the moment.

If we did - our oversized engines would incorporate some other added changes but would probably cost little more than a standard full top rebuild.

Are we developing such a range? – time will tell!

Baz

The crankshafts are the same for the 2.7 right up to 3.4 996 and the 3.6 and 3.8 are also the same.

They both have an extended overhang at the rear but this is only really ever a problem in racing and then only occasionally like with a clutch failure or using a racing clutch plate.

Any extra torque will place a slightly higher load on the crankshaft but as long as some other changes have been applied to coolant flow, thermostats and choice of oil - the small extra loads should not be a problem.

Baz

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back