Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Cup air filter

so that K&N filter on the MK2, good enough or will there be a significant upgrade on the cup system

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117051

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 13 February 2007
so that K&N filter on the MK2, good enough or will there be a significant upgrade on the cup system

As I understand it, fitting the Cup filter can release about 5 gee gees or so - BUT in conjunction with the single mass flywheel, the engine will rev better.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117053

Interestingly - Porsceshop are selling what looks like the cup intake / filter kit.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_996_engine_induction.html

I'm intrigued now as they reckon the Pipercross and BMC drop in replacements will give the same increase while looking 'stock'.

Anyone tried either of these?

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117057

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 13 February 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 13 February 2007so that K&N filter on the MK2, good enough or will there be a significant upgrade on the cup system
As I understand it, fitting the Cup filter can release about 5 gee gees or so - BUT in conjunction with the single mass flywheel, the engine will rev better.

Philip

Is that with Alpha-N, I remember seeing Russell Tamplin's Mk1 and he had moved to Alpha-N over the standard MAF.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117069

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 13 February 2007
Is that with Alpha-N, I remember seeing Russell Tamplin's Mk1 and he had moved to Alpha-N over the standard MAF.

Don't know - just looked at the BMC and Pipercross sites and they don't explain much.

I've been thinking about changing the road GT3 air filter for something else - but don't want to go down the remapping / chipping etc route.

Just wondered if anyone had had success simply dropping in different manufacturer's air filters?

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117090

Previous poster said:
Interestingly - Porsceshop are selling what looks like the cup intake / filter kit.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_996_engine_induction.html

I'm intrigued now as they reckon the Pipercross and BMC drop in replacements will give the same increase while looking 'stock'.

Anyone tried either of these?

Philip

I'm running a BMC panel filter on my C4S, it gives me about 50bhp increase!

TBH, they may help for small amounts but I've been told time and time again that Porsche airboxes are quite efficient. Nevertheless it has hasn't stopped me using a Fabspeed with a BMC, it certain feels faster!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117091

Previous poster said:
I'm running a BMC panel filter on my C4S, it gives me about 50bhp increase!

:eek:

[QUOTE}TBH, they may help for small amounts but I've been told time and time again that Porsche airboxes are quite efficient. Nevertheless it has hasn't stopped me using a Fabspeed with a BMC, it certain feels faster!
[/quote:fvSSKV9iww]

It's not so much extra power I'm after as just smoother revving - I reckon I'll end up going the RS flywheel route before long - as long as Porsche GB agree it won't invalidate the warranty!

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117092

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 13 February 2007
As I understand it, fitting the Cup filter can release about 5 gee gees or so - BUT in conjunction with the single mass flywheel, the engine will rev better.Philip
Ditto on mine Damian - the K400 does without the MAF. The K410 on the Mk2/RS retains the MAF and standard filter housing all because of the e-Gas and complexity of having to work around it if one wanted to drop it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117110

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 February 2007
Must have been a few suitors for the German cup car then, two non purchasers so far.

Dunc - thanks to Sundeep and Adrien for explaining - I am talking about a DIFFERENT car - this is a 2005 cup - NOT a 2003.

The 2005 car is in WHITE and has a Wagenpass and Fahreitzungbrief (sp?) so in theory could be registered in the UK easily.

It was advertised on eBay late last year about five times - each time not hitting the €150,000 (from memory) reserve.

Claimed to have 2,500 miles on and to have never been raced, it didn't appear like that when seen.

The 'other' car I now see from Titanic is a Yellow 2003 which was a German Carrera Cup car - completely unrelated.

There are actually a few ex Cup Cars that have been registered - including two 997 cups :eek:
but I don't think anyone's tried to get a licence plate and tax disc over here in the UK :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117133

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 13 February 2007
Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 13 February 2007so that K&N filter on the MK2, good enough or will there be a significant upgrade on the cup system
As I understand it, fitting the Cup filter can release about 5 gee gees or so - BUT in conjunction with the single mass flywheel, the engine will rev better.[/i:pallRFTp5c]

Philip
Ditto on mine Damian - the K400 does without the MAF. The K410 on the Mk2/RS retains the MAF and standard filter housing all because of the e-Gas and complexity of having to work around it if one wanted to drop it.

I wonder what can be achieved with a K400 and Alpha-N, extra injectors?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117137

not sure, but I've just learned over the past 2 weeks that the K400 is very sensitive to getting max air flow to get the correct power out of it!

<mumblesoffthinkingofthenextmodtoimproveairflow>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117170

Adrien - talking of airflow - in the photo you posted of the cup airfilter - who produced the intricate carbon ducting attached to the rear deck lid? Manthey?

Has anyone experimented with the air rams / hoods they advertise on eBay? Are they just a load of bunkem?

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117180

Yup, one of Manthey's creations. In talking with Manthey last week trying to troubleshoot some dyno runs, the part which makes significant difference on the cone filter induction cars is the ram-air scoop which adds significantly to the breathing capability ==> top end power output. It is not as much an issue on cars that retain the regular filter housing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117237

On the Cup cars they run a small 'gurney' on the back edge of the decklid, under the spoiler (it's too dark to go out and take another snap!) - but the road cars don't.

I've often wondered what the effect of adding the gurney to the road car would be...

Also seen these things and find it hard to believe their claim of 18ps!

htt://evilbay.com

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117248

The gurney is standard on the Mk1. It adds a fair bit of downforce. I don't think it was added to the Mk2.

The ram-air scoop was proven by Porsche to add about 10hp on the new 997GT3 at speed. This was confirmed at a mini-presentation last year at Reading when they were going through the technical aspects of the new car.

Manthey said similar results were found on the K400 kits although I suspect the effect is greater at lower speed on the older cars. The newer cars have improved breathing to begin with so the marginal benefit of such a system is smaller.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117252

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back