Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox rebuild time

clinchy993

Daytona
Guys I have to sadly rebuild my Gearbox after Goodwood as the diff ate its self after the first session ,I am being told the gears are in good shape but most of the bearings are going to need replacing

The first estimate is very high (£7k)purly down to the cost from Porsche for the bearings and diff required,some being In excess of £400 each

I wont have a full parts list until Tuesday

A brand new complete diif from Porsche is Circa £800 but a qualitiy LSD is only about £100 more ....Would You ??

Been my parts supplier of choice for the last few months, got all the trim 'bits' including rear screen from them for my recent respray - good delivery and prices 👍

Seem to recall someone here (maybe sram) having had their box rebuilt following a similar fail and having a bit of a hard time getting all the swarf and pin rollers cleared out.

Are you going for a full strip down, inspect and overhaul?

Do some searching on pistonheads in the ultima forum as there was a guy i think who people use as a porsche box expert.
Lots of ultimas run porsche boxes albeit upside down mounted, like my kit car.
I fitted a diff to my g50 but wouldn't like to tackle a full rebuild that is one for the experts

clinchy993 said:
The first estimate is very high (£7k)purly down to the cost from Porsche for the bearings and diff required,some being In excess of £400 each
Is that sourcing them through Porsche, or from Getrag direct?

Chris993C2 said:
clinchy993 said:
Is that sourcing them through Porsche, or from Getrag direct?

Parr are quoting Porsche prices ,the gearbox is stripped and fully cleaned

They have all the worn parts and the oil kept for me to see on Tuesday

If you have Simon Cowell's wallet, then go to Parr.

If you want the job done properly by like-minded blokes such as you,me, Madalla, Adam and RichyD, who won't apply the Porsche or Posh Indy tax, then go to Precision, speak to Jonny on 01825 721205 who is probably the best 993 engine and gearbox rebuilder in the UK and tell him I sent you.

That is all.

:thumb:

Kimbo said:
If you have Simon Cowell's wallet, then go to Parr.

If you want the job done properly by like-minded blokes such as you,me, Madalla, Adam and RichyD, who won't apply the Porsche or Posh Indy tax, then go to Precision and tell them I sent you.

That is all.

:thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Precision :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Good luck getting it sorted Tony...felt for ya at goodwood!

Sorry to hear this Tony - especially after the effort you went to in organizing the day.

I haven't used Rose Passion but there was a recent thread asking about them with mixed responses. May be worth calling them first to confirm they actually have the items in stock.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106013

Hope the car's back on the road shortly.

Rob

Tony ......sorry to hear it is a more serious issue than was first thought ....... bummer ....... but as Kim said I would certainly give a call to Johnny at Precision but can understand if Parr have stripped it you may well want to stay with them as I know they were very helpful to you on the Goodwood charity track day.

Good luck my friend.

Sorry to read about your woes, hopefully they will be sorted without too pain.

I found Rosepassion to be considerably cheaper than anyone else when I bought my PSS10's, cheap and a prompt delivery which was received in only a couple of days.
As posted in the thread that LondonRob has provided the link for, the only issue that I personally had was the after sales service. If I hadn't have had a fault with the parts, which they failed to sort, then I would have highly recommended them.

If considering an LSD then the Guards 40/60 may be worth considering.

Good luck.

The previous owner of my car had a full rebuild carried out by Northway.

Ray is a top fella, may be worth getting him to quote too.

Precision v good too.

I visited my car at Parr today for the first time since they took it back with them from the Goodwood day

I can now see where the money is going and despite what others have said their labour for the job is about the same as others have quoted

The gearbox was stripped and fully laid out in a clean room for me to inspect

I went through inspecting every bearing, syncro and shift-rod and other parts with the Technician ,he showed me in detail all the worn parts and even down to the condition of the oil taken out ,supported by lots of photos of the state of the inside of the gearbox casings with how much build up of thick oil sludge on them

Nothing quoted for that did not need doing

I could have done this rebuild for less by taking a chance on various parts seeing a few more miles but after 10 years of ownership I will get a gear box that will last for another 100k miles and a LSD in to the mix

We have just about got to a figure I am happy with so can't wait for the best car I have ever owned to be back very soon

Quite interesting on how the selectors run though the casing and if you have trouble going from 1st to 2nd when cold you should see the crap that builds up in there

Keep you posted on the progress

Happy Smiles Shortly

While you have it apart, ask the question about changing some of the gear ratios.

993RS, Cs & Cup all have slightly different gear ratios and having driven them, I feel they are a huge improvement over the standard C2.

Quite a few threads on Rennlist back this up, it's not cheap, but now is the time to consider it while the box is apart.

Not all C2's have the same set of gear ratios from the factory.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back