Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitted my microphone to the steering column shroud

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

Well after having a successful installation with the new Bremen SQR 46 the only thing left to do was fit the microphone. Was looking at getting it up to the sun visor but after struggling to find a route for the wire I decided after consultation with a friend at Porsche to fix it to the steering column shroud. The route was easy as there is a small gap between the shroud and the dash which I was able to feed the wire through. I'd taken out the HVAC controller and it enabled me to pass the wire over the top to the radio which sits next door. Checked it out for reception and it works fine. The radio saga is now over, however, I do need to replace the intermediate speakers in the doors and they have been ordered.

I don't believe the radio will be changed again in my life time :D

ATB :)

Attachments

• intermediate_speaker_788.jpeg
    intermediate_speaker_788.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 2,039
  • mic_1_346.jpeg
    mic_1_346.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 2,041
I have a Bremen too. Good choice
I'll give that position a go with the mike. Can now see how you did it
Have you used/installed the DAB aerial?
Have you managed to upgrade the firmware? It occasionally glitches with the Bluetooth and I thought a firmware update may solve

turbo-obsessor said:
I have a Bremen too. Good choice
I'll give that position a go with the mike. Can now see how you did it
Have you used/installed the DAB aerial?
Have you managed to upgrade the firmware? It occasionally glitches with the Bluetooth and I thought a firmware update may solve

Hi turbo-obsessor,

Yes I'm pleased with the new radio, but haven't really had time to assess it, however, so far so good. I have a friend who works for Porsche and he told me that they put the mic there too, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me :lol: I haven't fitted the DAB aerial and doubt if I will, not a great lover of stick on items and I like to keep the car as close to original as possible. The car came with a Bremen RCM 43 back in 1995 and this one is very similar in looks, so fits the bill.

No I haven't updated the firmware, so far the blue tooth has worked just fine. It automatically connects to my phone when I start up the car and I have both streamed music and made hands free calls without issue. I read on Rennlist about upgrading the firmware and there is a link if I remember to the update there. I'll have to see how it goes.

I replaced my mid range speakers this week and no more buzz from that area, so I'm happy with that. The old Nokia HiFi seems to be working just fine with the new set up.

Attachments

• speaker_replaced_615.jpeg
    speaker_replaced_615.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 1,888
Hi again.
I can't see a gap between steering shroud and top dash....how did you do this?
The gap is only wire thin and not enough for the Mike's plug
Thanks

Hi again.
Thanks

turbo-obsessor said:
Hi again.
Thanks

Hi,

I was able to squeeze the plug through the gap. I pulled out the HVAC controller and fed a thin piece of stiff wire to the shroud, attached the plug to the wire with insulating tape and gently pulled it through, there is a bit of flex in the shroud. I then fed the cable to the radio leaving a reasonable amount of slack for the mic wire to go over the top of the HVAC controller. I then connected the mic to the radio, bundled up the balance wire and pushed the radio back into its slot, job done. :thumb:

Thanks Decgraham
I'll give that a go

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back