Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Faulty Wipers - only start on high speed

Alex

Nordschleife
Recently I've had my wipers playing up. They won't operate on intermittent or on low speed unless I put them on high speed then drop them down to low. I was convinced it wasn't the stalk unit as wiggling it around and calling it naughty names made no difference. Yesterday I had a big trasv job ont' miller so it gave me a couple of hours to mess with the car. Quick check on the intermittent timer pot on the dash with a multi-meter proved it wasn't the stalk at fault as the pot would see 12v everytime the stalk was operated on intermittent. My gut feel was the motor as this is semi subjected to the elements as it sits in the bulkhead that isn't sealed.
Quick strip down of the scuttle and wipers gave me access to the motor so I removed it, plugged it back in and tried operating the motor. Quick tap on the side and it would kick in to action. Next stage was to strip the motor down and have a nosey inside. The motor comes apart with 2 cap head torx bolts (kept the top worm assembly intact as this mooked like a box of springs waiting to explode).

Once opened up it was obvious what the problem was - the whole of the insde looked like something from the control room at reactor 1 in Chernobyl!!
There's 2 sets of brushes - 1 for low speed and 1 for high speed. The low speed onces were in a bad state. Rest of the motor didn't look too clever either. Good clean up with some fine emery and all back together and the motor is now operating on both speeds with wipers as smooth as silk. :)

Didn't take any snaps as I'm in a sh***y mood at present but the inside looked something like this:

Attachments

• images_466.jpg
    images_466.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 723
  • images_466.jpg
    images_466.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 723
Well that's deprived an OPC of God knows how much :grin:

Fizz not taking Tyrone back and staying with Phil? Yeah, that would put me in a right foul mood too :evil:

I haven't a clue what you are on about. I can only guess it's some telly program.

Been having problems with Big Bertha - my CNC machining centre. Which equates to no work being done and a big bill to make it right, plus unhappy customers not getting what they want when they want it. :nooo:

Least my wipers work now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back