Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust support bracket bolt

Super_Ray

Trainee
Afternoon, the missing bolt was noted on the PPI and I assumed that the technician who changed the exhaust many moons ago had forgotten to tighten it or it had just been missed.

I ordered a new one but was surprised that it didnt just screw in and on closer inspection I can see that the bracket:thread alignment is just off.

Question is could I just loosen the opposite bolt give the bracket a slight adjustment and screw the bolt in or is this something more onerous. If so I will get the indi to do it when the car is next with him.

Doesn't seem to be harming the car in any way but would be good to knock this off the PPI list.

cheers, Ray

Attachments

• p6300013_207.jpg
    p6300013_207.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
Your logic is correct. General rule with exhausts is to fit everything loosely and then tighten the bolts down. Only issue might be corrosion on bolts, so perhaps put a bit of penetrative oils on the them the night before to help loosen threads.

I would also recommend checking the exhaust bracket isn't cracked. A few years ago I traced an intermittent buzzing noise to a hairline vertical fracture on this bracket, near one of the ends where it supports the exhaust. My Indy Porsche maintainer told me he's seen quite a few of these brackets crack.
May be totally unrelated to your bolt miss alignment, but I'd recommend having a quick look with a torch just to check.

I would also recommend checking the exhaust bracket isn't cracked. A few years ago I traced an intermittent buzzing noise to a hairline vertical fracture on this bracket, near one of the ends where it supports the exhaust. My Indy Porsche maintainer told me he's seen quite a few of these brackets crack.
May be totally unrelated to your bolt miss alignment, but I'd recommend having a quick look with a torch just to check.

cheers, will give it a try at the weekend. Its only 1/2 mm or less out but enough not to allow the thread to start.

Will report back

Ray

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back